Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Around the World Team Challenge > Team Tour de Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 209 (209 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by NBRC Travel Agent (last edited Mar 02, 2016 07:49PM) (new)

message 2: by NBRC Travel Agent (last edited Feb 28, 2016 09:50PM) (new)

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments Your itinerary is here

When you have a team name, just let me know and I'll update this thread name :)

First stop - Malabo, Equatorial Guinea

message 3: by NBRC Travel Agent (last edited Feb 28, 2016 09:50PM) (new)

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments So just to get you started...

Your first stop is Malabo, Equatorial Guinea

You can choose as a team to:
TASK
- Read books set in Equatorial Guinea, or by Equatorial Guinea authors or
- Do a spell-it-out of Malabo or Equatorial Guineaea

OR
You can elect to do the detour, which for this stop, means that four of you need to "Read a book with a bicycle on the cover"

message 5: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gembear) | 276 comments Hi Team! I can't wait to get started.
Have a couple of name ideas:
All booked up and ready to go
Bookworm Wanderers
The Book Stops Here
Backpacking Bookworms

:)

message 6: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Hi team!

I'll throw in some name ideas as well -

Tour de Books
Suitcase Full of Books and Ready to Fly
Booking a Journey

Looking at the first stop, looks like the easiest would be to do the spell out- We just need to decide if we do the short version or long version and catch some bonus points if every member reads at least one book. I think we can start even today.

message 7: by George P. (new)

George P. Hi folks, looks like we've got a team. I like Skandia's names Tour de Books or Suitcase Full of Books (I would shorten it)- it recalls to me reading that Hemingway would take a suitcase full of books when he went on an African hunting safari. Name's not very important though.
I was just reading the Wikipedia entry on Equatorial Guinea- a very tiny African country where the #1 language is Spanish, to my surprise. May be hard to find a novel written by someone from there... The bicycle on the cover detour sounds good. I don't understand the spell-out, but will do my part whatever we decide. Ciao

message 8: by George P. (last edited Feb 29, 2016 03:30PM) (new)

George P. I found this Wikipedia entry for fiction set in Equatorial Guinea:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiction...

message 9: by George P. (last edited Feb 29, 2016 07:54PM) (new)

George P. megan.lynn♡ wrote: "George, do you mean you don't know how to do a spell-it-out?..."
Only the basic idea and not the details. But I just did some browsing of the site and I think I've got those now.
I'm about 2/3 of the way through The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster, so we could use A for Auster for our other A in Malabo if I finish it up? ("Equatorial Guinea" has too many letters I think). I'm about 1/3 of the way through another book but it doesn't have any of the letters for MALABO.
I would be good for reading a book with a bicycle on the cover too if 3 others want to- I'm a cyclist. My local library has The White Woman on the Green Bicycle.

message 10: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'm good with spelling Malabo.
I have an A book I'm reading right now - Angel's Peak by Robyn Carr

message 11: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments ◈ Completing a task will earn the team 10 points AND
◈ If at least 6 members of the team read a book that contributes to the tasks, that is an additional 15 points AND
◈ If ALL team members read a book for the time you are at the stop, that is an additional 10 points

message 12: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Not much points in shorter spelling though ...

message 13: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Luu (lovelucyluu) | 192 comments Hello everyone!

I like bookworm wanderers or booking a journey!!

message 14: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Luu (lovelucyluu) | 192 comments And I think we should do the long version of spell it out. More points right?

message 15: by George P. (last edited Feb 29, 2016 09:50PM) (new)

George P. It sounds like spelling the longer country name would give us more points than MALABO if all 8 team members read a contributing book, but then it's just 10 points more than having 6 members make MALABO (25 points). Would we have to read 16 books for "EQUATORIAL GUINEA"?
I could read an "M" "L" or "B" book if that will help, I have a couple at the top of my to-read list that aren't too long. Actually I'm part through a book whose translator's name is "Lucia Graves"; I just read you can use the translators name also.

message 16: by Skandia (last edited Mar 01, 2016 02:42AM) (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Yes, it's 16 books for EQUATORIAL GUINEA.

Do we have 6 members covered for MALABO?
So far we have six members checked in and as I see it we have

M
A - Angel's Peak SKANDIA (will be done by Friday)
L - character Loki, GEMMA reading
A - The Disciple of Las Vegas , character Ava MEGAN LYNN finished 2/29/2016
B
O

George can take M, L or B
Lucy ?
Gemma?

message 17: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gembear) | 276 comments Book I'm reading at the moment main character is called "Loki" so I can take L - should be done in a couple of days at most.

I think I read that any books we read from now on can be used towards future tasks so should we add a tab on the spreadsheet for books read? That way we can track everything?

message 18: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Gemma wrote: "Book I'm reading at the moment main character is called "Loki" so I can take L - should be done in a couple of days at most.

I think I read that any books we read from now on can be used towards f..."

Sure , we can do that.

message 19: by George P. (last edited Mar 01, 2016 07:36AM) (new)

George P. How about I read "Mother" by Maxim Gorky for the "M"? It's less than 300 pages and I already have the ebook on my iPad- (I was planning on using the X in Maxim for another challenge in Classics w/o All the Class group). I'll get started.
I just started a novel by Iris Mudoch but it's a lot longer- I'll put that one on hold. Or, if someone else wants M... I also want to read a book by Borges that's under 300 pages and is at the library (Labyrinths).

message 20: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gembear) | 276 comments I've added a tab in our itinerary where we can track books we've read that don't count towards our current stop but could be used in future stops.

Shall we also decide on a name? :)

message 21: by George P. (last edited Mar 01, 2016 10:15AM) (new)

George P. I have just read 10% of Mother, so a good start. Nice work on the "books read" tab Gemma, I wouldn't know how to do that. I just finished Far From the Madding Crowd last weekend; would have held off had I known it could help us in spellouts.

We havent heard from our other 3 group members, so I just sent a short message to them. It's only been 2 days though.

So to spell out MALABO this gives us:

M-Mother, GEORGE reading
A - Angel's Peak, SKANDIA (will be done by Friday)
L - character Loki, GEMMA reading
A - The Disciple of Las Vegas , character Ava MEGAN LYNN finished 2/29/2016
B
O

Lucy, can you read a book with a B or O?

message 22: by Brittney (new)

Brittney | 650 comments I am checking in. So are we spelling out Malabo or the longer one? I also like Tour de Books for a team name.

message 23: by Brittney (new)

Brittney | 650 comments Book Completion Post

Book: 12th of Never by James Patterson by James Patterson
Date Read: 2/27/16
Rating: 3 Stars
How it fits: MC name is Lindsay Boxer, Use for Letter B

message 24: by George P. (last edited Mar 01, 2016 02:31PM) (new)

George P. Hi Brittney! The B is great but I wonder, since you finished it on the 27th, and we were formed as a team on the 28th if we can use it?
I finished Far from the Madding Crowd on the 28th- (main characters Bathsheba Everdine and Gabriel Oak). Can we use that for a B? We want 6 different members to read a book to get the bonus points though.
Gemma what do you think?

message 25: by Lucy (last edited Mar 01, 2016 03:14PM) (new)

Lucy Luu (lovelucyluu) | 192 comments Hey guys this is what I gathered regarding the name of the team.

Gemma & Skandia: I didn't put you in the list below because since you guys created them and didn't specifically favorite one over the others. :)

Bookworm Wanderers - Lucy (1)
The Book Stops Here
Backpacking Bookworms
Tour de Books - George, Brittney (2)
Suitcase Full of Books and Ready to Fly - George (but shorten it) (2)
Booking a Journey - Lucy (1)

Okay with any- Megan

I tried to skim through and get everything, I hope I didn't miss anyone.

message 26: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Luu (lovelucyluu) | 192 comments So correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that we can only do either Malabo or Equatorial Guinea.

Wouldn't we get more points for Equatorial Guinea?
We would still get the bonus for Equatorial Guinea if we all each read one book, right?

But I'm okay with just Malabo too if that's what everyone else wants to do.

message 27: by Lucy (last edited Mar 01, 2016 03:27PM) (new)

Lucy Luu (lovelucyluu) | 192 comments I finished these two books yesterday:

However I wonder if this one works. It's a collection of twelve short stories from twelve different authors. but if it works I'll just put the info below anyways.

My True Love Gave to Me Twelve Holiday Stories by Stephanie Perkins
by Rainbow Rowell, Kelly Link, Matt de la Pena, Jenny Han, Stephanie Perkins, David Levithan, Holly Black, Gayle Forman, Myre McEntire, Kiersten White, Ally Carter, and Laini Taylor
Date Read: FEB, 29th
Rating: ***

These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman
by Amie Kaufman
Date Read: FEB. 29th
Rating: ****

So Broken could be for the B in Malabo. :)

message 28: by George P. (new)

George P. Lucy wrote: So Broken could be for the B... (from "These Broken Stars")"
Lucy, the rules say you can use the 1st letter of the 1st word in the title only ( leaving out "the" or "an") so we couldnt use the B from that book, just the T.
I think your short story collection book "My True Love Gave to Me" is fine for the M- am I right? So I'm thinking we've got the M there, and we could use the B from my "Far From the Madding Crowd" (Bathsheba Everdine) or O (Gabriel Oak) the 2 main characters. I finished it Sunday, so I think it counts? Seems to me if one of the other 3 members can kick in a B or O we've got our task done and 25 pts.

message 29: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I like Tour de Books best for name , btw.

message 30: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Luu (lovelucyluu) | 192 comments George wrote: "Lucy wrote: So Broken could be for the B... (from "These Broken Stars")"
Lucy, the rules say you can use the 1st letter of the 1st word in the title only ( leaving out "the" or "an") so we couldnt ..."

ahh, thank you for the correction George, I actually didn't even think about the title being These instead of The. haha. what a silly mistake hehe

message 31: by Lucy (last edited Mar 01, 2016 08:38PM) (new)

Lucy Luu (lovelucyluu) | 192 comments Updated team name:

Bookworm Wanderers - Lucy (1)
The Book Stops Here
Backpacking Bookworms - Christella (1)
Tour de Books - George, Brittney, Skandia (3)
Suitcase Full of Books and Ready to Fly - George (but shorten it) (2)
Booking a Journey - Lucy (1)

Okay with any- Megan

Except for the few team members that haven't voiced their opinion regarding the team name, it's looking like Tour de Books has the most favoritism so far! :)

message 32: by George P. (new)

George P. Megan Lynn, forgot to respond to your question- rules say we stay in each spot for a week, can stay longer if we wish. So sounds like has to be at least a week.

message 33: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gembear) | 276 comments let's go with Tour de Books :)

message 34: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gembear) | 276 comments Hey all, are you all able to view the spreadsheet? For the books mentioned above that we will not be using for this stop can you add them to the 'books read' tab and then we might be able to use the straightaway for future stops?

I imagine books finished before the date the team was created can't be used...

message 35: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gembear) | 276 comments Finished - Snow White Sorrow - Cameron Jace * 2/3/16 Main character Loki Blackstar

Good for L or B

message 36: by Angela (last edited Mar 02, 2016 07:14AM) (new)

Angela | 7 comments Sorry, it looks like my message did not post earlier. I like Tour de Books. Is O the only letter missing?

message 37: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Luu (lovelucyluu) | 192 comments YAYY, so Tour de Books it is!! LOVE IT! we sound so fancy! :)

message 38: by Lucy (last edited Mar 02, 2016 07:52AM) (new)

Lucy Luu (lovelucyluu) | 192 comments So since a couple of the books double up, how should we decide which book gets used first?

Maybe the first read?

But for now, I've just added my books to the spreadsheet. If anyone needs help, can't see the spreadsheet, or just wants me to do it, I would be glad to do it for you :)

message 39: by George P. (new)

George P. HI Angela welcome.
Gemma, was that date right on your book snow white sorrow? you posted 2/3/16.

message 40: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gembear) | 276 comments Yes....You'll have to forgive me I'm in the UK so forgot there could be confusion with dates! Finished 2nd March :)

message 41: by George P. (new)

George P. Gemma wrote: "Yes....You'll have to forgive me I'm in the UK so forgot there could be confusion with dates! Finished 2nd March :)"
yeah, guess we better use the name of months, since Americans do the numbers backwards ;)

message 42: by George P. (new)

George P. To finish spelling out Malabo, we need an L or a B or an O from Brittney,or Angela or Christella to finish the task and get 25 pts- Have you guys finished any books from Sunday on, or getting close? If it takes us another week or so that's ok, we will pick it up as we go on I think.

Thought it might be good to review the rules on task scoring:
◈ Completing a task will earn the team 10 points AND
◈ If at least 6 members of the team read a book that contributes to the tasks, that is an additional 15 points AND
◈ If ALL team members read a book for the time you are at the stop, that is an additional 10 points

I don't think Brittney's book with character "Lindsey Boxer" can be used since she said she finished it sat 27th and our team and tour started sun 28th :(
Gemma's book works for B or L (for character Loki Blackstar), and mine for B or O (Bathsheba E. or G. Oak from "Far From the Madding Crowd"). So we need an L or a B or an O from Brittney,or Angela or Christella to finish the task and get 25 pts total. Remember a translator or narrator (of audiobk) name can also be used.
If I finish my book translated by Lucy Greaves we can use that for L and Gemma's for B- but we would only have 5 readers and get only 10 pts rather than 25. But I will work on that as a backup. I have over 200 pages left but it goes pretty quickly.
I know I'm not the "leader", there isn't one, and I apologize if this comes off bossy- and please correct me if I'm wrong. I just want us to succeed.

message 43: by Angela (new)

Angela | 7 comments I have not, but I am reading Wicked Girls. One of the main character's name is Amber, but her real name is Bel if that counts. Name apparently changed do to supposed crimes committed as a child. I will try to finish by this weekend. I am working late this week.

message 44: by Karsyn (last edited Mar 02, 2016 08:14PM) (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Hello team!

This is just a quick message but I wanted to let you know that the mods made the decision to remove Christella from NBRC this evening. I feel bad about it, so I'm going to step in and take her place.

I believe with Angela having the "B" character that you just need the "O" read? I will look through and see what I have and have something finished for y'all tomorrow. If something else is needed instead please let me know.

Sorry again about Christella and I hope I'll be ok as a replacement for her. I'll be back around in the early morning (I'm in NC).

message 45: by George P. (last edited Mar 02, 2016 08:39PM) (new)

George P. Karsyn wrote: "Hello team!

This is just a quick message but I wanted to let you know that the mods made the decision to remove Christella from NBRC this evening. I feel bad about it, so I'm going to step in and ..."

Thanks for your help and welcome. I think either an L a B or an O would complete our Malabo as some of the other books can be used for either of 2 letters- see my earlier post.
I started a novella today that is short, by Mahi Binebine and translator is Lulu Norman (Horses of God). I've read almost a quarter of it already and could probably finish in 2 or 3 days. I added it to our tab (as "in progress") along with some from other team members they have posted. We do want to get books from a different team member for each of the 6 letters for the extra points.

message 46: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Finished Angel's Peak by Robyn Carr
3/3/2016

Can be used for an A in Malabo

message 47: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gembear) | 276 comments I have to admit I'm already a little bit lost on what we have/don't have?! SORRY :)

message 48: by Brittney (new)

Brittney | 650 comments I can start my Steve Berry book tonight. I usually read his books in less than two days. That way we have B taken care of

message 49: by Karsyn (last edited Mar 03, 2016 06:15AM) (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Morning all!

Sorry for my quick message last night, I was doing about 5 different things and my Hubby was ready to head to bed, so I was trying to be quick. :)

If a B is what is needed, I finished a book last night with the character Chase Boden. I started and finished the book yesterday so even though I started it before I joined in with y'all I'm sure it would be accepted.

No One Knows by J.T. Ellison
No One Knows by J.T. Ellison
Completed 2/2 - 4 of 5 stars
character: Chase Boden

We do have to stay at this stop for a week. If that completes that spell-it-out, then I'm fine with doing the longer one. The book I just mentioned would work for E, A & N as well (author J.T. Ellison, character Aubrey Hamiliton, N title).

message 50: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Luu (lovelucyluu) | 192 comments megan.lynn♡ wrote: "Hi, Karsyn! You will be a fine replacement :))

Team, I was thinking if we complete Malabo early in the week with a lot of time left, we might should go for Equatorial Guinea instead if we can, for..."

I was thinking the same thing.

« previous 1 3 4 5