Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVED Team challenges > Four the Win (Team Four)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 204 (204 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Mar 03, 2016 05:10PM) (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9592 comments Mod

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~*
Sydney
Kimberly
Grace

message 2: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jul 26, 2016 04:43PM) (new)

BINGO CARD

message 3: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Feb 28, 2016 10:21PM) (new)

Schedule for Calling Categories:

March 9th
March 23rd
April 6th
April 20th
May 4
May 18th
June 1st
June 15th
June 29th
(etc. until a team gets a valid BINGO)

message 4: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jul 26, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Free "Passes"

Every person will get (1) "pass" in which they can read a book that doesn't match the called category, BUT the book has to fit the theme of the challenge somehow (i.e. takes place in winter or spring, the characters experience change, the character is young or in their golden years...anything that you have a reason for it to work, really).

You don't have to use the pass and remember that you only get one for the entire challenge. ;)

---

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ - pass available
Sydney - pass used on FRUIT
Kimberly - pass available
Grace - pass used on SOCKS

message 5: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Feb 28, 2016 10:37PM) (new)

**Important Info**

Every other Wednesday one of the categories will be called (the same one for all teams).

After all team members have read their books and the team captain has posted in this folder to let me know, your square will get a stamp.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There is no deadline to finish a book, but a book cannot be started prior to the category being called and your team won't get its stamp until everyone on the team has finished and posted.

You also need to check in at least once after each category called.

*New* You can use either the cover or title to match the called category (example below)

Books must be at least 150 pages long (if reading an ebook, please check the paperback or hardcover edition for page count).
NO manga/graphic novels, cookbooks
Audiobooks are fine. As are ARCs.

message 6: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Feb 28, 2016 10:38PM) (new)

WAYS TO WIN:

Five in a row (any direction), the four corners, or a postage stamp in any corner would all be a valid bingo. Here's a picture that shows what each of them are:

I know this picture shows two postage stamps, but only one would be required.

message 7: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jul 26, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Categories:

Winter categories
1. Fire/Fireplace
2. Quilt
3. Boots
4. Sock(s)
5. Sweater
6. Hot Drink*
7. Wreath
8. Christmas Lights
9. Cookie(s)
10. Gift
11. Snow
12. Sleigh

Spring categories
13. Flower(s)*
14. Sunrise/Sunset
15. Puppy/Dog*
16. Kitten/Cat*
17. Fruit*
18. Bride/Groom
19. Heart
20. Rain
21. Tree(s)
22. Ship/Boat
23. Grass/Field
24. Baby/Child

25. FREE SPACE**
** Any book may be used for this space and it may be read any time during the challenge - this category will not be called. The only rule is it has to be started after the start of the challenge.

Categories with an asterick (*): you may get more specific, if needed (example: flowers -- you could use a book with rose in the title)

message 8: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Hope you all have fun! Please choose a team captain and, if you'd like, a team name. :)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 337 comments Hello everyone! I'm very excited to play book bingo as this is my second book bingo challenge. I would prefer not to be captain though. As far as team names goes here are my ideas:

Four Musketeers
Four the Win

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 670 comments Either of those sound great. Glad to be on the team

message 11: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) Hi! I've never does this before, so I keep re-reading the rules haha. Excited to be part of the team!

Four the Win is great! I really like that one!

message 12: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (last edited Mar 01, 2016 10:05PM) (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 337 comments Who wants to be captain? I'll do it if no one else wants too.

message 13: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) If you want to Angie, that's great! If not, what does being Captain involve?

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 337 comments Tracking everyone's reviews then posting we've completed the .

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 670 comments I would but I don't know that I could keep up with everything.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 337 comments I'll be captain. Four the Win we'll be our team name.

message 17: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Updated team name. Thanks Angie for being captain! :D

message 18: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Mar 03, 2016 05:12PM) (new)

Please welcome Grace to your team. :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello team! So excited to get started!

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 337 comments Welcome Grace, glad to have you apart of the team!

message 21: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) Sounds good :)

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 670 comments So nice to have you as part of our team, Grace

message 23: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Here we go!!!! Game has officially begun and reading can begin :D

The FIRST category is GIFT!!

The next category will be called March 23rd, most likely around noon PT.

message 24: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (last edited Mar 23, 2016 11:17PM) (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 337 comments First Category~Gift

Sydney~ The Morning Gift by Eva Ibbotson Post 46
Grace~ The Royal Gift (The Common Kingdoms, #1) by Drae Box Post 41
Kimberly~ The Gift by Cecelia Ahern Post 27
Angie~ The Anniversary Gift (The Re-Connection Series, #1) by Elle Dawson Post 34

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 670 comments I think I will read The Gift by Cecilia Ahern
The Gift by Cecelia Ahern

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I will be reading The Royal Gift by Drae Box
The Royal Gift (The Common Kingdoms, #1) by Drae Box

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 670 comments https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Here is my review for The Gift by Cecilia Ahern - I do not advise anyone to read this - the language is terrible.
The Gift by Cecelia Ahern

message 28: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) Sorry, I've been out of town. Do I choose a book w/ a title that has gift in it? How soon do I have to read it by?

message 29: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Either title with gift in it or a gift on the cover. Next category will be called on the 23rd :)

message 30: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) Okay cool thanks (oh, and can it be a book you've already read and read it again or needs to be a new book?)

message 31: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

As long as you started it after the category was called and read the book completely, a reread is fine :)

message 32: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) Awesome! Thank you :) I will post my book soon!

message 33: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) Okay, so my book w/ Gift as category will be ... (drumroll...)

The Morning Gift by Eva Ibbotson

I haven't read this book in a couple years (I think) but love it and I am excited for the opportunity to dust it off from my bookshelf and read it again :)

Eva Ibbotson is a favorite author of mine and I definitely recommend all her young adult books for those who love young adult fiction w/ history and clean romance intertwined.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 337 comments First Category~Gift

The Anniversary Gift (The Re-Connection Series, #1) by Elle Dawson by Elle Dawson
Finished:3/13/16
Rating:4 Stars
Review:Kate just wants to spend her wedding anniversary alone. Ethan wants to add some spice in the bedroom. Kate is floored but then wonders and doubts that she's good enough. Can this couple find common ground?

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 670 comments How is everyone doing?

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I am getting very close to the end of my book!

message 37: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) got a slow start w/ a new job but not worried, I will finish in time :) about to read some more before bed.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 337 comments Good to know!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm done with my book!

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 337 comments Grace wrote: "I'm done with my book!"

Could please post your review?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

The Royal Gift (The Common Kingdoms, #1) by Drae Box by Drae Box

Rating: 3 Stars

Review:
The Royal Gift, by Drae Box, is the tale of Aldora Leoma, a courageous young girl from the small Brown Buzzard Village. When her village comes under attack, Aldora is chosen by King Cray to track down the Dagger of Protection, which has been stolen from the village.

This was a cute book. It was written by a fourteen year old with an active imagination, so there was magic, mythical creatures, a talking cat, etc.

I did enjoy the fast pace of The Royal Gift. The entirety of the book was new threat after new threat. The fighting scenes were a bit choppy, but not too bad.

The characters were fun and interesting enough. The dialogue was confusing at times, and some of the interactions where not believable. I did like the friendship between Aldora, Raneth, and Pedibastet.

I was thoroughly impressed by this book, considering the age of the author. I would recommend The Royal Gift to kids and younger teens.

message 42: by Bess (new)

Bess | 2582 comments chag purim sameach to everyone!!

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 337 comments Sydney~Would you please update your book? I'd like to post in the captain's thread.

message 44: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (last edited Apr 05, 2016 08:39PM) (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 337 comments Second Category~Fruit

Angie~ Crushed by Barbara Ellen Brink Post 53
Sydney~ Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys Post 52
Kimberly~ A Haven on Orchard Lane by Lawana Blackwell Post 54
Grace~ The Fruit of the Tree by Edith Wharton Post 62

message 45: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) Hi, sorry it's late at night but I finished it and am about to post my new review!

message 46: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) The Morning Gift

Review:

I love this book! It has characters of all ranges, ones you love and ones you want to punch in the face ;).

The Morning Gift is a love story set at the start of war with Hitler and Ruth is a unique individual to follow. Many books today don't write girl characters like her. She's quirky, smart, knows things about adulthood and yet still blushes at them if its not to recite some definition she's read.

Quin Somerville is a man of the world. Having been set up with Ruth's family years before, he pays the debt he feels owed and helps Ruth get out of Austria and to safety. The only way to make her a British citizen is by marriage, and even though they've both agreed it's a business marriage and the annulment/divorce will happen as soon as possible, love and life get in the way.

But the book isn't just about the two of them. The wide range of characters keep you enthralled and you learn so much about history—and science by one of my favorite authors, Eva Ibbotson who grew up in Vienna in the height of war against Hitler, and soon she was sent to England for her own safety.

If you like history, want to learn about a different country, or just love love stories that take their time with detail, read this! And also check out Eva's other books as well!

message 47: by Sydney (last edited Mar 25, 2016 09:52PM) (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) Can I use my free pass on this book? and read:

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

message 48: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Sure you can use your pass on this one, if you want. :)

message 49: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) okay thank you!

message 50: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneypaigemccutcheon) Okay so the book I am going to read is:

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

Winter, 1945. Four teenagers. Four secrets.

Each one born of a different homeland; each one hunted, and haunted, by tragedy, lies…and war.

As thousands of desperate refugees flock to the coast in the midst of a Soviet advance, four paths converge, vying for passage aboard the Wilhelm Gustloff, a ship that promises safety and freedom.

Yet not all promises can be kept.

Inspired by the single greatest tragedy in maritime history, bestselling and award-winning author Ruta Sepetys (Between Shades of Gray) lifts the veil on a shockingly little-known casualty of World War II. An illuminating and life-affirming tale of heart and hope.

Excited to read this!

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.