Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > 02/29/16 - A frightening demonstration

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments Heroine woke up early, realized it was her wedding day, and simply couldn’t get back to sleep. She lay in bed for a few minutes thinking excitedly about the day ahead – and the night – then recalled her new spectacles. Sitting up abruptly, she retrieved them from the small detachable pocket she usually wore under her skirt and popped them onto her face.

A little sigh slid from her lips as the world came into focus. Most of the time everything around Heroine was a blur, and her head was slightly achy from squinting. Her spectacles might not look good on her, but when she was wearing them the world around her certainly looked better.

It had been difficult not to wear them, not to scream with joy to everyone that she could finally see. However, she still felt it was better to keep them a secret until Hero formed a tender for her.

If he formed a tender for her, she thought. Heroine was almost afraid to hope that he might. She knew he found her attractive and seemed to like her, but that didn’t ensure a lifelong abiding love would follow.

Finally able to see, Heroine contemplated slipping down to the library to fetch a book, but feared she did not really have time. And before she could decide on anything else, the click of her doorknob turning sounded loudly in the silent room. Heroine snatched her spectacles off and grabbed for her pocket. She had just managed to slide them out of sight when Stepmom entered.

Her stepmother was carrying something, but Heroine couldn’t make out what it was. She watched the woman place the object on the dressing table by the door, then walk over to the bed. Suddenly wary, Heroine watched narrow-eyed as Stepmom approached. She wished she could pop her spectacles on again and see the woman’s expression; she had no idea why Stepmom was here on the morning of her wedding, but suspected it wasn’t for a good purpose.

“Your father thought I should explain the facts of the marriage bed to you,” Stepmom announced without preamble, and Heroine almost sighed. This would not be pleasant, she was sure. Hero had seemed to fear that the woman would attempt to make her miserable and afraid, and Heroine suspected he was right. She tried to tell herself that she wouldn’t allow Stepmom to do so, but really, on had to wonder: if there was nothing to fear in the night ahead, then why had Hero been anxious that her stepmother could make it seem so? And that was that comment about pain and blood? What had he been so reluctant to explain?

“I shall tell you exactly what my mother told me,” Stepmom announced. “Come.”

Heroine hesitated, then pushed her linens and blankets aside and followed her stepmother to the dressing table where she’d set the items she’d carried in. By leaning close and squinting, Heroine could see that there was a small silver truncheon and a pie of some sort. Stepmom picked up the truncheon.

“This is the approximate size of the man’s apparatus, and quite similar in size,” she announced. “Imagine it is a key to your lock.”

Heroine pursed her lips at this announcement and wondered if the hardness she’d felt nudging her from between Hero’s legs was the key in questions. She had a vague idea of where her lock was, though she’d never explored the area. Hero had, however, and quite thoroughly to her mind.

“This pie is your lock,” Stepmom announced. “Your lock is not open and perfectly suited in size to the man’s truncheon or key. It is small and narrow, and has a thin layer of skin called the… well, most often it is called the maiden’s veil.”

Heroine glanced sharply at Stepmom’s face, noting the woman’s sudden evident discomfort. Apparently, getting this technical bothered her. But Stepmom struggled on.

“The man has to break through that veil the first time. Like so.”

Heroine gave a start as her stepmother slammed the truncheon down, stabbing it through the top of the pie with a violent thud. Heroine stared at the broken crust and then reached up to wipe away the juice that had squirted out and splashed her face. The pie was some sort of berry or cherry and – blind though she was – Heroine could see that the juice seeping out around the half-buried truncheon was a deep red.

“To quote my mother,” Stepmom said grimly, “you will bleed. And it will hurt as you would expect. But if you are very lucky, he will finish quickly and leave you alone to sleep and weep in privacy. I somehow doubt Lord Hero will be so considerate.”

Leaving behind the mess she’d made, Stepmom turned to the door and opened it. As she walked out, she said dryly, “Enjoy your wedding night.”

Heroine watched the door close, then moved weakly to sit on the dressing table chair. She didn’t seem able to tear her gaze away from the pie. The barely golden, almost white crust was stained with – and soaking up – the red juices of the smashed fruit. The truncheon still stood up out of it, proud and hard.

“Damn,” she breathed. Heroine had sworn to herself that she would not allow Stepmom to upset her, but this was… well, it was upsetting.

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1249 comments Don't know it but I really want to. It seems like it might be a medieval? I haven't read a good medieval romance in ages. If this isn't one...I'd love some suggestions???? :-)

Thanks for sharing ♥

message 3: by Daniellegn (new)

Daniellegn | 212 comments I think I may have read this but I'm not sure

message 4: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1895 comments Mod
I have a guess.

message 5: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1153 comments Haha I'm on a wine cruise with my mom and read this and snorted with laughter lol
I have no idea but definitely want to read it!

Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew (sarahdrew) Think I know this one. Is it (view spoiler)? Slight, but not bad.

message 7: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I'm certain I haven't read it. I think I would remember this. :)

message 8: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments I seem to remember this scene, and heroine's new spectacles, but I cannot put them together with author or title.

message 9: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments No clue.

message 10: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2080 comments Mod
I have not read it!
Georgie, if you know it you can hint --but the way we play this we don't give the author or title so that everyone has a chance to try to figure it out. The poster will give the answer Tuesday night. So a hint might be "I thought the third book in this series was better" or "I loved the way hero calmed her down"....

Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew (sarahdrew) Dls wrote: "I have not read it!
Georgie, if you know it you can hint --but the way we play this we don't give the author or title so that everyone has a chance to try to figure it out. The poster will give the..."

Apologies

message 12: by Beebs (new)

Beebs (yvond) | 45 comments I remember this one :D One of my faves from this author

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1002 comments Not a clue. That demo was clearly beyond what Hero tried to prepare Heroine for.

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments Curious...

message 15: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments Georgie, you are correct. The book was Love Is Blind by Lynsay Sands.

I always wished she would revisit this book and write a story for the hero's roguish cousin. Oh well, guess not when there are still Argeneaus to write about...

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I've never read her books, they sound interesting

message 17: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments YES! I did read it and I liked it. :-)

message 18: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1153 comments Ooh I've never read any of her books either! Might start with this one lol

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Love Is Blind (other topics)