Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > April 2014 - Vanderlleef

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanderlleef (new)

Vanderlleef | 25 comments Here's my list for April:

Fair and Tender Ladies I would give it 4 stars, good historical mystery set in 18th century Leeds. This was the final in the Richard Nottingham series--I read the previous books in the series in March. I enjoyed the whole series, and this book was no different. Quick read, well paced, characters developed throughout the series, total immersion in that time period/locale. I'm glad I read them in order.

Soy Sauce for Beginners I would give this one only 2 1/2 stars. The biggest problem I had is that the character was so unlikable--weak, wallowing, making stupid decisions, not being very nice to her friends/family. It was pretty predictable and relatively boring. I did learn a lot about soy sauce, however, and that part was interesting to me.

Louisiana Longshot I got this book free (and for some reason I like to read books set in Louisiana at Easter time), so I decided to give it a shot. 3 stars. Book #1 in the Miss Fortune series. A very light read, and it held my interest throughout. I liked the characters. Some of the escapades were funny, some were really stretching it.

Lethal Bayou Beauty Book #2, Miss Fortune. Once I start a series, it's hard for me to stop so I finished them all. Same opinion and rating for all of them.

Swamp Sniper Book #3 Miss Fortune.

Swamp Team 3 Book #4 Miss Fortune.

Trouble in Mudbug This was another free one, but it is only a 2 star one in my opinion. It was a little more focused on romance than I like, but I can't mark it down for that. I know it was supposed to be funny, but I just found it stupid. This is a series that I won't have trouble not finishing.

Until Proven Guilty This is my first novel by J.A. Jance and first in the J. P. Beaumont series. It was a solid 3 stars for me. Very quick read, plot was predictable. I liked the characters, particularly Beaumont--his wealth adds an interesting dimension.

When Pigs Fly 2 stars. I forced myself to read to the end just to see what happened. The story was unusual and held my attention, not a bad premise. I just really didn't enjoy it at all. I hated many of the characters, and what I assume was intended to be amusing was only annoying to me throughout.

Injustice For All #2 J.P. Beaumont, 3 stars. More character development, less predictable. I liked it.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3639 comments I liked the J.P. Beaumont books. Haven't read one in some time.

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3102 comments I was a real Beaumont fan in the beginning, but time made him much less hardboiled, much more tender.

message 4: by Vanderlleef (new)

Vanderlleef | 25 comments Barry wrote: "I was a real Beaumont fan in the beginning, but time made him much less hardboiled, much more tender."

I'm assuming that you don't like the tender Beau? (He actually seems a little tender now--how soft does he get?)

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3102 comments As somebody to hang with, the new Beau would be OK, but for hardboiled literary fiction, the AAA meetings, and not losing a partner every book make him a bit less interesting.
On the other hand, sometimes Connolly pushes Harry Bosch too far into being the pigheaded outsider. One needs balance in everything.

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1225 comments I will have to check out the Richard Nottingham series. I enjoy historical mysteries and my library has the first book, The Broken Token, available on Overdrive audio and it is read by one of my favorites Steven Pacey.

message 7: by Vanderlleef (new)

Vanderlleef | 25 comments Sandi wrote: "I will have to check out the Richard Nottingham series. I enjoy historical mysteries and my library has the first book, The Broken Token, available on Overdrive audio and it is read..."

I would recommend it. The Broken Token was my least favorite of the series--they improved from there, but I'm glad I read it. It gave a good foundation for subsequent books.

message 8: by Vanderlleef (last edited Apr 30, 2014 12:49PM) (new)

Vanderlleef | 25 comments Barry wrote: "As somebody to hang with, the new Beau would be OK, but for hardboiled literary fiction, the AAA meetings, and not losing a partner every book make him a bit less interesting.
On the other hand, so..."

I was wondering whether there was going to be a huge loss in every book. And no more McNaughton's? I don't know how I feel about that.

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments Having your main character go on the wagon always disappoints me - seems too close to preaching on the sly.

message 10: by Vanderlleef (new)

Vanderlleef | 25 comments Vanderlleef wrote: "Barry wrote: "As somebody to hang with, the new Beau would be OK, but for hardboiled literary fiction, the AAA meetings, and not losing a partner every book make him a bit less interesting.
On the ..."

Maybe that's what bothers me about it. It's funny, when Barry mentioned AA, I was disappointed, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why that would be a bad thing.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Nice month, Vanderlleef! I have enjoyed JA Jance's books before but it has been a while, and I read the Joanna Brady books more than the Beaumont serious.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments You're making me curious about the JA Jance books, may put the first on my tbr. Although I should wait until I no longer remember the very minor spoilerish stuff.