Reading with Style discussion

RwS Spring 2016 > 20.10 AutoBioMem

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5973 comments 20.10 AutoBioMem Elizabeth (Alaska)'s Task

Read a biography, autobiography or memoir.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments If you want to verify your listing at BPL, it will look like this:

Townie
Note the Call # starts with a "B"

However, you are not restricted to books shelved at BPL. You might want to check WorldCat. Their listings look like:

Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America
In most cases, "biography" will be in the top section, but if not, scroll down below the library listings to check there in the genre/form.

I want some sort of library verification and I always check during scoring anyway to make sure our entries are accurate. If not found at either BPL nor WorldCat, please ask in this thread, which will make my life easier when you claim your book. (And thank you.)

message 4: by Coralie (last edited Feb 28, 2016 09:30PM) (new)

Coralie | 2301 comments Can I have approval for Worse Things Happen at Sea?
This is a link to my library catalogue https://librarysearch.melbourne.vic.g...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments Coralie wrote: "Can I have approval for Worse Things Happen at Sea?
This is a link to my library catalogue https://librarysearch.melbourne.vic.g......"

Thanks for the link - WorldCat did not have this as biography, but East Melourne does, so you're good to go with it.

message 8: by Tien (last edited Feb 29, 2016 02:33PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2409 comments A Sense of the World is not shelved as Biography on BPL but noted as so on worldcat -is this still acceptable?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments Yes, to both of these. If the book is listed as biography at either BPL or WorldCat, you do not need pre-approval,

message 10: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1347 comments Eastern Approaches by Fitzroy MacLean does not appear as biography on the summary page for the book in the worldcat but does appear on some of the editions under the all editions view. Does it qualify?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments itpdx wrote: "Eastern Approaches by Fitzroy MacLean does not appear as biography on the summary page for the book in the worldcat but does appear on some of the editions under the a..."

It shows biography to me.

message 12: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1347 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "itpdx wrote: "Eastern Approaches by Fitzroy MacLean does not appear as biography on the summary page for the book in the worldcat but does appear on some of the editio..."

Very interesting! OK.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments itpdx wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "itpdx wrote: "Eastern Approaches by Fitzroy MacLean does not appear as biography on the summary page for the book in the worldcat but does a..."

I should clarify - I did scroll down the genre/form in the section below where it shows nearest libraries. I often use that section for librarian work, so going there feels natural to me.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2261 comments I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings says biography on the main page

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings says biography on the main page"

It is biography, but don't rely on the Goodreads genres as they are not reliable for this task.

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings says biography on the main page"

It is biography, but don't rely on the Goodreads genres as they are not reliable for t..."

I see one of the listings at BPL has this as "YA Biog" - so guessing no styles ?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments Amanda wrote: "I see one of the listings at BPL has this as "YA Biog" - so guessing no styles ? ."

It has a Lexile of 1330, it's fine.

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I see one of the listings at BPL has this as "YA Biog" - so guessing no styles ? ."

It has a Lexile of 1330, it's fine."

Phew! Didn't sleep well last night, so forgot about lexile ( but I am checking YA!!)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments Amanda wrote: "but I am checking YA!!"

that's a step in the right direction!

message 20: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4451 comments Does the Biography tag and the .92 (dewey decimal indication of biography) qualify this book for this task?

http://catalog.brooklynpubliclibrary....

Although many libraries still retain a B section, the more recent library suggested practice is to shelve biographies among the books in that subject area and the dewey number includes the .92. It looks like this is how the BPL has shelved this one. My local library has it shelved this way as well.

message 21: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Mar 08, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Does the Biography tag and the .92 (dewey decimal indication of biography) qualify this book for this task?

http://catalog.brooklynpubliclibrary......."

I won't make such a blanket statement, but in this case yes, WorldCat has it as biography and works for this task. (You might remind me when you post.)

message 22: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4451 comments Perfect and thanks for checking World Cat!

message 23: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1468 comments Will My Dateless Diary: An American Journey by R.K. Narayan work for this task?

Listed at Worldcat as Biography:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/my-date...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments D wrote: "Will My Dateless Diary: An American Journey by R.K. Narayan work for this task?

Listed at Worldcat as Biography:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/my-date......"

Yes, it does!

message 25: by Nick (last edited Mar 22, 2016 12:49PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 308 comments I am doing the "Waters of the World" challenge this go oround -- so I am not really sure why I am asking, but here goes:

Dispatches by Michael HerrI read this book thinking I would use it as a "Vietnam" book, but then realized that it would not work as a "Vietnam" book because the author was neither born there nor ever a citizen. So--

I am wondering if I can gets points for it by claiming it as a biography or memoir. It will take your special consideration because

1) It does not have a call number that begins with B at the BPL, and

2) The subject entry in World Cat is "Personal Narratives, American."

I do not know how to categorize it because it is an edited collection of memoirs from many different soldiers.

I can get points for it in 10.2 and 10.4, but I thought I would ask about it here first.

Thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments Nick wrote: "I am doing the "Waters of the World" challenge this go oround -- so I am not really sure why I am asking, but here goes:

Dispatches by Michael HerrI read this book thinki..."

It qualifies for this task. See the 3rd line in the heading, just below the line "Publisher"

Edition/Format: Print book : Biography : English : 1st Vintage International ed

message 27: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 308 comments I tend to read a lot of memoirs, whether for a challenge or not. I guess I will keep counting them in this task if I cannot put them in "Waters of the World." The following is listed as Biography on WorldCat:

The Notes: Ronald Reagan's Private Collection of Stories and Wisdom

http://www.worldcat.org/title/notes-r...

message 28: by Nick (last edited Mar 27, 2016 10:13AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 308 comments And I finished this recently, too.

Green Day: American Idiots & The New Punk Explosion

listed as Biography on WorldCat: http://www.worldcat.org/title/green-d...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments Nick wrote: "I tend to read a lot of memoirs, whether for a challenge or not. I guess I will keep counting them in this task if I cannot put them in "Waters of the World." The following is listed as Biography o..."

Well, especially with the Multiple style, this season, I'm glad you have a place for them!

message 30: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4226 comments Is there a call number for bio. I looked up Born to Rule: Five Reigning Consorts, Granddaughters of Queen Victoria and I don't see the B

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments Rebekah wrote: "Is there a call number for bio. I looked up Born to Rule: Five Reigning Consorts, Granddaughters of Queen Victoria and I don't see the B"

You don't see it because it isn't shelved with the biographies at BPL, but it is biography at WorldCat, so you're good with it.

message 32: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4226 comments Thanks

message 33: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 173 comments KLF: Chaos Magic Music Money - not on BPL, but is listed as biography on WorldCat. Interestingly enough, the title is slightly different than the one I read had, and the author also calls himself a slightly different name. Maybe an American vs UK version.

Here's the WorldCat link: http://www.worldcat.org/title/klf-cha...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11825 comments Kätlin wrote: "KLF: Chaos Magic Music Money - not on BPL, but is listed as biography on WorldCat. Interestingly enough, the title is slightly different than the one I read had, and the author also..."

Yes, Kaitlin, that book will be fine for this task. If you will remind me when you post that it was approved for 20.10, I will appreciate it. ;-)