2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2016 > TBR Twins, March

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments Thank you, all, for your patience! I've had quite a bit going on in my life lately (all good things!) so haven't been around as much. And we've had so many more participants than usual recently--I love it!

Twins are below. Please reach out to your twin to choose a book to read, and then let us know what you chose. We'd also love to hear what you thought of it when you've both finished.

If you do not hear from your twin, please let me know.

Emily (msg 45)
Natasha

Kathryn
Helen F

Marelis
Alexandra

Lonna
Lori

Catherine
Smirti

Aurora
Kaitlin

Kat
Kristin

Sherry
Nannette

Jamie
Tabitha

Karin
Anita

Amanda (msg 36)
Wenda

Jody - A Spoonful of Happy Endings
Stefani - SpelingExpirt

Misha24
Annabeth

Jeana
Katy

Nidhi
Ally

Katerina
Advika

Angela
Fransciolla78

Ella
Alexxy

Emily (msg 67)
Renie

Gabriella
Anna

Gretchen
Gilly

Annie
Sarah

Charlene
Janani

Sabina
Rebecca

Laura
Shrouk

Amanda (msg 42)
Antonella

Lisa (Likenbooks)
Robyn

Harsha
Grace

KayleeStansbery
Maitenac

Anissa
Ashley

Jess
Elaine

Anna
Cristian

Trenton
Rhiannon

Gabriela
Emma

Abi
Maya

Lucia
Kara

message 2: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited Feb 28, 2016 06:56PM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments How to compare books:

1. Go to your twin's profile and click "compare books"

2. In the top right corner, set the "common shelves" to "to read." If you or your partner keeps the TBR list somewhere other than the "to read" shelf, then you can use the two fields under that to compare books.

This should give you a neat list of everything you have in common.

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie (annie-somanybookssolittletime) | 52 comments Hello!
I am twinned with Sara, and we chose to read "The Little Paris Bookshop"!

Misha (Heartsfullofreads) | 8 comments Hello Annabeth, can you add me as a friend so I can message you and view your books?
your profile is set to private.
Thanks!
I look forward to hearing from you!

message 5: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments Lucia and I will be reading The Fifth Season :)

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 33 comments Elaine and I will be reading Over the Edge of the World by Laurence Bergreen

message 7: by Kaylee (new)

Kaylee Hooker (booklovinmommy) | 15 comments Maitenac and I will be reading We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 526 comments Natasha and I are reading The Invention of Wings.

message 9: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 400 comments Anna and I will read The Iliad by Homer.

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 581 comments Thanks for your hard work in putting the pairings together, Kara.

Helen and I have decided to read The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes.

message 11: by Alexxy (new)

Alexxy | 270 comments My twin is not answering and her profile is private. What should I do?

message 12: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments Alexxy, give it a couple of days, and if you don't hear back, please send me a message. Thank you!

message 13: by Alexxy (new)

Alexxy | 270 comments Okay. Thanks!

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) | 0 comments Kara wrote: "Alexxy, give it a couple of days, and if you don't hear back, please send me a message. Thank you!"

I'm in the same situation. I'll wait till the weekend, I'm sure everyone is busy.

message 15: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments I haven't heard back from my person but I don't know if it's just because she's busy or because she can't access/didn't get my message. Her profile doesn't say it's private, but maybe I'm just not seeing that? Do people normally just send a friend request to their person? I felt weird doing that but maybe I should.

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) | 0 comments Catherine wrote: "I haven't heard back from my person but I don't know if it's just because she's busy or because she can't access/didn't get my message. Her profile doesn't say it's private, but maybe I'm just not ..."

I sent mine an message but since her profile is set to private I went ahead and sent a friend request with a note saying we were set up as TBR twins for the month of March. Hoping that will do it.

message 17: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (lilsherry) | 699 comments Nannette and I agree to read Feed (Newsflesh #1) by Mira Grant

message 18: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments Sherry wrote: "Nannette and I agree to read Feed (Newsflesh #1) by Mira Grant"

One of my faves!

message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments UPDATE: I did hear back from my twin. We're still in the process of choosing a book. Thanks Lisa for the advice!

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) | 0 comments Catherine wrote: "UPDATE: I did hear back from my twin. We're still in the process of choosing a book. Thanks Lisa for the advice!"

You're welcome :) I'm hoping to hear from mine soon.

message 21: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 99 comments Sherry wrote: "Nannette and I agree to read Feed (Newsflesh #1) by Mira Grant"

SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD <3

message 22: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments Smriti and I will be reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple :)

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori Wilen | 86 comments Lonna, we have been twinned for March but since you are not accepting messages, I will leave it to you to contact me.

message 24: by Alexxy (new)

Alexxy | 270 comments My twin answered back! Ella and I decided to read The 5th Wave.

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 585 comments No answer from my twin. If anyone else in the same boat fancies reading together let me know!

message 26: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (katejohnsson) | 19 comments Stefani - SpelingExpirt wrote: "No answer from my twin. If anyone else in the same boat fancies reading together let me know!"

Hi, my twin hasn't replied either, do you want to be my twin? Since we have only four books common in shelve to-read, it will be easy to pick a book. :)

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori Wilen | 86 comments Stefani what gendres do you like and we can twin if you would like

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori Wilen | 86 comments Or if there is anybody else....just hit me up.

message 29: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments Okay, new pairings for those who haven't heard back yet:

Katerina & Lori

Stefani - SpelingExpirt & Lisa (Likenbooks)

If anyone else hasn't heard back from his or her twin, let me know!

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) | 0 comments Stefani and I will be reading Ready Player One

message 31: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments Lisa (Likenbooks) wrote: "Stefani and I will be reading Ready Player One"

Oooh, great choice!

message 32: by Jeana (new)

Jeana Budnick | 228 comments Katy and I are reading Stray by Rachel Vincent

message 33: by Karin (new)

Karin | 752 comments Anita and I are reading The Red and the Black

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) | 0 comments Catherine wrote: "Lisa (Likenbooks) wrote: "Stefani and I will be reading Ready Player One"

Oooh, great choice!"

Thanks! Have been wanting to read it for some time so excited we chose this one. :)

message 35: by Grace (new)

Grace MacLaine (gracemaclaine) Harsha and I are reading Selected Stories by Anton Chekhov.

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori Wilen | 86 comments So Katerina and I decided to pair up and we are going to be read Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult for our March project.

message 37: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments I finished my book early, Where'd You Go, Bernadette. This book is fantastic!! I really recommend it. Hope everyone else is enjoying their selections :)

message 38: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 581 comments I finished The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes about a week ago, and I really enjoyed it. I thought there were some interesting parallels and contrasts between this book and Me Before You - not that there is meant to be any relation between the 2 books - they have completely different characters. It was also a very easy book to read, but on reflection did pose some difficult to answer questions.

message 39: by Nannette (new)

Nannette Sherry and I participated in Goodreads 2016 TBR Twins Challenge. We chose to read Feed (Newsflesh Book 1) by Mira Grant. It was a very good choice.

When Sherry was about one third of the way through the book, she shared with me, “it's an interesting concept of how the whole thing came to be and about blogging. I kind of like the blogging aspect as now in 2016 you don't see much bloggers. It is like they say, mostly teenagers blogging about their depress/antsy life. I used to do that all during high school.

I thought the blogging aspect was cool. It is a more rounded view of what is happening. Not just one person or one organization. What I really like is that it is a zombie apocalypse where civilization has not totally fallen. There is still a government. Still communication. Still the trappings of a normality. Yet there is this constant threat. If you replace "zombie" with "terrorist", it lends itself to a very good conversation. I grew up during the cold war. While we lived everyday normal lives, there was a threat constantly hanging over our heads but not visible. This book reminds me of that type of threat that is there but not there. I

When Sherry finished the book, her summary was, “I LOVE IT!!!!! I can't wait for book #2. I don't want to spoil it for you but sad ending. I also think it's awesome that society did not fall. In movies you always see humanity fallen, people just savage and live off the grid. I like that it is still organized and civilized.

Once I finished I decided I would give it 5 out of 5 stars. Again the main selling point for me was the uniqueness of a not completely fallen civilization. The ending was sad but left room for so much more to happen. I liked seeing Shawn grow from idiot brother to a fully realized character.

As you can tell buth Sherry and I were captivated by a semi-apocalypse. Most post apocalypse books I have encountered are somewhat of a scorched earth, nothing left, no civilization, no infrastructure, no communications. It was so refreshing to read a book that still has government and lights and communication. It sets a totally different feel for the book. As I referenced above, the concept of safe areas where no one is truly safe is probably the most horribly aspect of the book. Sherry and I would both highly recommend it.

message 40: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Thanks for the commentary, Nannette! Feed has been on my to-read list for quite a while, but now I'm even more interested to read it.

message 41: by Sherry (last edited Mar 24, 2016 07:02AM) (new)

Sherry (lilsherry) | 699 comments Cassandra wrote: "Thanks for the commentary, Nannette! Feed has been on my to-read list for quite a while, but now I'm even more interested to read it."

Yay it was great. I heard from the others here mentioning it was great so I felt glad that Nannette suggested it for us both to read it. It is such a great choice and I was glad to have the experience with her.

I really can't wait for book #2. They have 3 books, the 4th book coming out later this year...plus "new never-before-published novellas and all eight short works" according to the author. I often find it annoying to have so many short works publish as ebook when sometimes I just want to hold the actual physical book and flip the pages by hand...

message 42: by Karin (new)

Karin | 752 comments I've been reading our choice, but haven't heard from my tbr twin since we chose it and decided when to begin.

message 43: by Katerina (new)

Katerina (katejohnsson) | 19 comments Lori and I have paired up and we read Lone Wolf. It was a great story, we both enjoyed it. We discussed the book in the middle and then in the end. It was really interesting, because we both changed our minds about some of the characters throughout the book.

I have really enjoyed March TBR Twins, since I also made a twin with Stefani - SpelingExpirt and we are reading Room. And my original twin answered me yesterday, so we decided to read Wonder.

message 44: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1348 comments Antonella and I decided to read The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge.

This is the Costa Book of the Year for 2015. The Lie Tree is a tree which grows according to how great the lies are that it is fed. In exchange the fruit can be eaten to show visions of truth. Faith, the main character in the book, believes that her father's death was not suicide and uses the tree to try to establish what really happened. It has been categorized as a children's book but I didn't feel that this was the case at all. It is not a coincidence that this book has been chosen as the Costa Book of the Year beating all other books, including those aimed at adult readers.
Rating 4 stars