Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > April Contemporary Novel Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the place to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our April group read and discussion (beginning April 21.) A contemporary novel would typically have been first published in the 21st century.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. Note that if your nomination is selected by the group, we'll be expecting you to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. We also read one or more short stories each month; that discussion starts the 11th of each month. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that these are nominations for our April discussion topic. City of Blades has already been selected as our March Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Saturday, March 5, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments I'll nominate Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson. It's a bit like a cross between Terminator & World War Z. Well done.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

The Ballad of Black Tom by Vincent LaValle

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters, this series is such a good one, and I'm not a big fan of apocalypse stories but this one really captures the feeling in a believable way.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 05, 2016 05:49PM) (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Contemporary Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for April (starting April 21) is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice. Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

Note that this is our discussion topic for April. City of Blades has already been selected as our March Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Saturday, March 12.

message 7: by Rose (new)

Rose | 201 comments Michele wrote: "The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters, this series is such a good one, and I'm not a big fan of apocalypse stories but this one really captures the feeling in a belie..."

This book made it to Goodreads' list '24 Books (and Series) with Truly Satisfying Endings' which was just posted today.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 12, 2016 05:15AM) (new)

Reminder: Today is the final day to vote for one of the Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novels nominated for our April group read and discussion.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments 4 of us have voted out of over 4700 members?!!! What's up people?

message 10: by Andreas (new)

Andreas As you might guess, most are inactive. Of the rest, most are read only.
I'm actively not voting, this time because I'm not drawn to any of these titles.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 709 comments If that accounted for 99% of the members, we would still garner 47 votes.

message 12: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Mary wrote: "If that accounted for 99% of the members, we would still garner 47 votes."

Say, 99,9%.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 13, 2016 05:09AM) (new)

Announcement banner
Our selected Contemporary Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for April is...

The Last Policeman (The Last Policeman, #1) by Ben H. Winters The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters

The discussion will begin April 21.

message 14: by Rose (new)

Rose | 201 comments Amazon CA just dropped the kindle price on TLP today to $4. I assume it dropped in the US also.

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments Rose wrote: "Amazon CA just dropped the kindle price on TLP today to $4. I assume it dropped in the US also."

Yes, was just coming to say this - the first two books in the series are in the Kindle daily deal for $3.99 each in the US.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Rose wrote: "Amazon CA just dropped the kindle price on TLP today to $4. I assume it dropped in the US also."

Michele wrote: "Yes, was just coming to say this - the first two books in the series are in the Kindle daily deal for $3.99 each in the US..."

Good to know, thanks. I noticed earlier that the e-book was actually priced significantly more than the paperback. For some reason that kind of publisher shenanigans really annoys me, so I put the book on my list of things to look for used. For 4 bucks I can spring for the e-book. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.