What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's novel about princess who runs away and hides in home of a regular family? [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LJTaylor (new)

LJTaylor | 2 comments In the late 1960s or very early 1970s I read a junior novel (geared, I'd say, for kids between 9 and 12) about either a young princess or a famous child actress (I think it was a princess, but I wouldn't swear to it) who runs away from home and winds up living with a normal family. I think the sisters in the family hide her away, at least at first. And then maybe the mother discovers her? It's driving me crazy that I can't remember the name of it or a better approximation of the story line, because it was one of my favorite books in that era. If this rings any bells with anybody, please let me know! Thanks!

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4161 comments I found these: A Birthday for the Princess
The Princess and the Woodcutter's Daughter for runaway princesses. Neither appears to match your description completely, but I'm posting them just in case.

message 3: by LJTaylor (new)

LJTaylor | 2 comments Thank you so much. Just this week I concluded that it was "Pippa Passes," by Scott Corbett; it's way out of print and there are much more famous books (one by Rumer Godden, and another by Robert Browning) that have the exact same title, so it never even comes up when you search for it online -- it gets preempted by the more famous books. But the title kept rattling around my head, so finally I dug a little deeper and found it here: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re... I just ordered a used copy online, and will report back -- I remember loving this book as a kid!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, LJTaylor. Thanks for the update. Here's the Goodreads link - Pippa Passes by Scott Corbett.