The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BEST & WORST BOOKS OF... > Least Favorite Books of the Winter 2015 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17499 comments Mod
What were your least favorite books of the Winter 2015 Challenge? Which books didn't meet your expectations?

message 2: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Since I've had a particularly stressful December/January and stopped halfway through the challenge, I figure while I'm being patient, I can fill these out. :)

ONE STARS

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

I was really, seriously disappointed in this book. I'd been recommended to read it many, many times and so I was expecting it to be at least good. To me, it wasn't. Now, there's a lot of people who love this book and I can't judge them for it. It had a couple elements that I could appreciate, but that's about as far as it got for me. I blame reading this book for me not finishing out my challenge, honestly. It killed my will to read. >.<

TWO STARS

Enchanted August A Novel by Brenda Bowen :: The Blood Countess by Andrei Codrescu :: To Hold the Bridge by Garth Nix

Enchanted August :: It wasn't that this book was bad. It's that it wasn't that memorable, at the end of the day. It was quick, effortless read that neither made me want to keep the book nor throw it away. It got two stars because - to me - it didn't really have a point for me to have read it.

The Blood Countess :: Honestly, I disappointed myself here. I read this book once, years and years ago, and I loved it. So I found it in a thrift store a year or two ago and picked it up, thinking I would surely love the fact that I found it. Nope. It wasn't horrid, but definitely something I won't ever read again.

To Hold the Bridge :: I hate short story collections, so I should have known better. But I figured since I love everything else I've ever read by Garth Nix, that I would be able to tolerate it. It was like pulling teeth to get through some of the stories, for me. Other people may like it more, but definitely not I.

message 3: by Donna (last edited Feb 28, 2016 06:12PM) (new)

Donna | 1110 comments I only had 1 1-star book this season. So, I'm glad about that.
Why Is God Laughing?: The Path to Joy and Spiritual Optimism

I had lots of 2-star books on my list. Here are 4 of them (some of which were a surprise to me because I thought I would have liked them more.)
The Martian Chronicles
The Painted Girls
Have a Nice Guilt Trip
Church of Marvels

message 4: by Kaity (new)

Kaity | 375 comments There was only one book this season that I really didn't care for (yay!) and I generously gave it 2 stars.

Claimed - Not for me! I definitely prefer romance to erotica.

Claimed (Brides of the Kindred, #1) by Evangeline Anderson

message 5: by Jasmiina (new)

Jasmiina F (slipperbunny) | 401 comments This time I read two books I didn't like at all.

Wetlands was just gross and I almost didn't finish it.

Rewind I read because I used to read these books when I was younger. But maybe I shouldn't have, because I thought the story was really boring now.

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) Donna wrote: "I only had 1 1-star book this season. So, I'm glad about that.
Why Is God Laughing?: The Path to Joy and Spiritual Optimism

I had lots of 2-star books on my list. Here are 4 of them..."

I had a lot of 1 & 2 star books this season......more than I usually do. I don't know if it was my mood or what happened. Some of these came highly recommended or have high ratings, but just weren't for me.

The Golden Compass--1 star
Still Alice--2 stars
Gorillas in the Mist--1 star
Wild Thoughts from Wild Places--1 star
Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog--1 star
The Painted Girls--2 stars
The Night Circus--1 star

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman Still Alice by Lisa Genova Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey Wild Thoughts from Wild Places by David Quammen Marley and Me Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments I loved Still Alice and Marley and Me.
I actually had no least favorite books this time.

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1335 comments 1 star:
Capable Of Feeling by Penny Jordan I can't remember where I ran across this title and added it to my TBR list and requested it from my library via ILL. Horrible writing and unrealistic children.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson Not my cup of tea.

2 stars:
A Christmas Promise by Mary Balogh Chinese Handcuffs by Chris Crutcher Secret of the Seventh Son by Glenn Cooper

message 9: by Nick (last edited Mar 03, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2404 comments I started off the last season with Change We Can Believe In Barack Obama's Plan to Renew America's Promise by Barack Obama and was very disappointed in it. Obama wrote just the introduction. The rest was badly written by "Team Book."

This season I am starting things off correctly with an excellent read of an excellent book Hard Choices Hard Choices by Hillary Rodham Clinton .