Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/BOTM > BOTM March 1 to 15 - Lord of Scoundrels (Fairytale Retold)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

Kat Desi (katdesiwrites) | 480 comments Mod

Discussion thread for March 1 to 15, 2016 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (please see "some html is ok" for instructions)

Happy reading! :)

DETERMINED LADY

Tough-minded Jessica Trent's sole intention is to free her nitwit brother from the destructive influence of Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain. She never expects to desire the arrogant, amoral cad. And when Dain's reciprocal passion places them in a scandalously compromising, and public, position, Jessica is left with no choice but to seek satisfaction.

LORD OF SCOUNDRELS

Damn the minx for tempting him, kissing him... and then forcing him to salvage her reputation! Lord Dain can't wait to put the infuriating bluestocking in her place--and in some amorous position. And if that means marriage, so be it! Though Sebastian is less than certain he can continue to remain aloof... and steel his heart to the sensuous, headstrong lady's considerable charms.

message 2: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1119 comments Lovely! I have heard great things about this novel.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 295 comments I've been wanting to read this for like forever..

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I'll be reading to.

message 5: by Al George (new)

Al George (georgieme) I have read this but will refresh.

message 6: by Loriidae (last edited Feb 29, 2016 04:55PM) (new)

Loriidae | 1119 comments I have heard that #1 The Lion's Daughter was fairly weak, what about #2 Captives of the Night? Does anyone know if I should read either or both of these first? I hate to start mid-series and feel there is background info from before that I am missing. thanks

message 7: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

Loriidae wrote: "I have heard that #1 The Lion's Daughter was fairly weak..."

Yep. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 8: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

Loriidae wrote: "I have heard that #1 The Lion's Daughter was fairly weak, what about #2 Captives of the Night? Does anyone know if I should read either or both of these first? I hate to..."

You don't need to read the previous two books.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Kat, that picture says it all.

I'm going to skip bk #1.

message 10: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1119 comments Kat wrote: My review: ......

Thanks Kat lol

I agree Andrea!

message 11: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1119 comments Ally wrote: "I have read this but will refresh."

Ally have you read book #2?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 295 comments I've got a few in the TBR to get through first, I'll be starting mid month.

message 13: by Al George (new)

Al George (georgieme) Loriidae wrote: "Ally wrote: "I have read this but will refresh."

Ally have you read book #2?"

I have not. Is it good? Thoughts>

message 14: by Lady Wesley (new)

Lady Wesley (goodreadscomlady_wesley) | 24 comments I'm new to this group and delighted that my first read is one of the best historical romances ever written. I have read it several times, but I think I shall listen again to the superb Kate Reading audio version.

BTW, as much as I adore Loretta Chase, I have never been able to finish The Lion's Daughter (Scoundrels #1). The other books and the one novella that comprise the Scoundrels series are excellent. Each works as a stand alone.

message 15: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1119 comments Lady Wesley wrote: "I'm new to this group and delighted that my first read is one of the best historical romances ever written. I have read it several times, but I think I shall listen again to the superb Kate Reading..."

Thanks that really helps my March reading plan. I will leave book #2 for now.

message 16: by Al George (new)

Al George (georgieme) Lady Wesley wrote: "I'm new to this group and delighted that my first read is one of the best historical romances ever written. I have read it several times, but I think I shall listen again to the superb Kate Reading..."

I totally did the audio version and loved it. Well worth the read / listen. And welcome!

message 17: by Lady Wesley (new)

Lady Wesley (goodreadscomlady_wesley) | 24 comments I especially love the prologue of this book. It's something like a short story, which tells you all you need to know about Dain's awful childhood. So you begin the book with feelings of sympathy toward Dain, which is needed since he acts abominably toward Jessica for much of the book.

message 18: by Al George (new)

Al George (georgieme) Lady Wesley wrote: "I especially love the prologue of this book. It's something like a short story, which tells you all you need to know about Dain's awful childhood. So you begin the book with feelings of sympathy to..."

That is a really good point. I am gonna have to fire this up this weekend and get my listen on. Such a good book.

message 19: by Kat, Baroness (in her own right) (new)

Read and finished last Friday. loved it!

message 20: by Al George (new)

Al George (georgieme) Kat wrote: "Read and finished last Friday. loved it!"

It's good, isn't it?

message 21: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1119 comments I am finding it has a lot more depth and emotional angst than The Dressmakers series. 60% read

message 22: by Al George (new)

Al George (georgieme) Loriidae wrote: "I am finding it has a lot more depth and emotional angst than The Dressmakers series. 60% read"

Absolutely agreed. I kinda like this Loretta Chase better than the other =)

message 23: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1119 comments Lady Wesley wrote: "I especially love the prologue of this book. It's something like a short story, which tells you all you need to know about Dain's awful childhood. So you begin the book with feelings of sympathy to..."

The heart grieves for that lonely little boy. I am having more patience with him later in the book.

message 24: by Loriidae (last edited Mar 07, 2016 05:25PM) (new)

Loriidae | 1119 comments "By Friday, she was debating the relative merits of putting another bullet through him and trying to decide which portion of his anatomy she could most easily live without.
By Saturday, she’d decided that his brain was probably the most dispensable."

roflol - I can relate!!!

message 25: by Al George (new)

Al George (georgieme) Oh my gawd...finished this weekend. Loved!

message 26: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Mar 17, 2016 03:51PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 295 comments Up to Chapter 9 and enjoying the characters, Lord Dain really is an emotionally tortured hero and Jessica is just the woman to heal him. I love their banter and that they are intellectual equals.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 295 comments Finished. Enjoyable 4 star read.

message 28: by Al George (new)

Al George (georgieme) So, is this considered discussed? I'm kinda wondering when we actually start discussing the book and when we decide discussions are closed.