Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's February

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2940 comments Marshall Karp: NYPD Red 4
I hate to give a really good grade to a book that has James Patterson on the cover, even if the book was really written by Marshall Karp. NY’s elite detectives are way over their head swith a murder, a jewel heist, and hospitals being ripped off right and left. Still they come through while judging personal lives that seem to be falling apart at the seams. This was just fun to read. (A)

Written in Fire: Marcus Sakey
The conclusion to the Brilliance trilogy. Brilliants and normals are squared off against each other, with extremists on both sides pushing for a final solution. Calmer heads have the deck stacked against them, but make one last desperate move to save the world. (B+)

Morning Star: Pierce Brown
Final book in the Red Rising trilogy. War, strategy, betrayal and loyalty shape the final contest. (B+)

Floodgate: Johnny Shaw
A stand alone, but still a thriller with all the manic energy and good humor of the Veeder series. An ex cop, part time thug in a town that defines corruption, and is ready for change at the top. (B+)

Evil at Heart: Chelsea Cain
Beauty Killer series. Not the easiest to believe, certainly gory, but does have entertainment value in a way. (B)

The Eye of God: James Rollins
The Apocalypse is but days away. What ever shall we do? (B)

Higher Authority: Stephen White
Acolytes of the LDS church act to protect a Mormon Supreme Court justice. (B)

Trickey twenty two: Janet Evanovitch
Sick Morelli, sexy Ranger, and a series of hijinx. Much of the same, but still has entertainment value. (B)

Coconut Cowboy: Tim Dorsey
Serge Storms and Coleman are back, no less manic and as entertaining as ever. If you want the wilder side of Florida, go no further. (B)

The God’s Eye View: Barry Eisler
Novel of the abuses of the NSA post Snowden. I didn’t really find a good protagonist to latch onto and like, and I did find most of the characters to be one dimensional and quite shallow and predictable. Eisler has done much better in the past. The abuses of the government, those were a bit easier to believe. (B-)

Privileged Information: Steve White
His first. A psychologist must weigh privilege against the suspicion that one of his patients is a murderer. A few TSTL moments mar the tale. (B-)

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Barry ,

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3568 comments another good month ,barry.

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments I found it very convenient that a certain youth's escape was completely ignored near the end of Written in Fire.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1248 comments Great month. The Cain books continue to surprise me even when I thought there was no good way to keep the series going. Will have to add Floodgate to my lists - sounds great.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Nice list Barry. Finishing two trilogies in a month gives some closure, I am reading both of them ( first books). I need to read book two of both soon to get closer to catching up.
I found James Patterson's recent commercial recruiting co-writers to be interesting

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3587 comments Good month! I need to read the rest of the Red Rising trilogy.

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments Another entertaining bunch of reads. I agree with you on the Stephanie Plum series. I went through a period of rolling my eyes while reading them (not easy to do) but now I kind of go with the flow and enjoy them for what they are (and aren't).

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments >Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Another entertaining bunch of reads. I agree with you on the Stephanie Plum series. I went through a period of rolling my eyes while reading them (not easy to do) but now I kind of go with the flow..."

Should be easy for you to roll your eyes; there's plenty of extra room in there.

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments Dan in AZ wrote: "
Should be easy for you to roll your eyes; there's plenty of extra room in there. ..."

Just when I was starting to think we were seeing a kinder, gentler Dan. I shouldov known better.