Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Monthly Author Q&A > Q & A with March 2016 Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 257 (257 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
will start Monday March 7th! See you then!

message 2: by Melinda (last edited Feb 28, 2016 05:25PM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Looking forward to it.

message 3: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments thanks for the update..

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments Oh thats the day of my surgery so will probably miss most of it.

message 5: by Lyn (new)

Ausjenny wrote: "Oh thats the day of my surgery so will probably miss most of it."

Sorry, Jenny! Will pray for your surgery to be a success. Hugs, Lyn

message 6: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Oh thats the day of my surgery ..."

I lifted your upcoming surgery in prayer, Jenny.

message 7: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Woo hoo! :)

message 8: by Janis Kay (new)

Janis Kay (riceball1759) | 211 comments I pray your surgery goes well, Jenny:)

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 265 comments Praying for you Jenny!

message 10: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Oh thats the day of my surgery so will probably miss most of it."

Praying all goes well. Will miss your comments.

message 11: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments Good luck with your surgery, Jenny!

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 236 comments Good luck with your surgery Jenny, sending you lots of happy thoughts!

message 13: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments Thanks everyone. I have a small tablet now (or pad or something) so should be able to let people know how I am going.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Hope your surgery goes well Jenny!

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Praying for successful surgery, Jenny!

message 16: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Thanks everyone. I have a small tablet now (or pad or something) so should be able to let people know how I am going."

Glad you will be able to keep in touch.

message 17: by Lyn (new)

GOOD MORNING! The March Q & A starts today. This week only three of our March authors--Keli Gwyn, Linda Ford and Rhonda Gibson--are participating and the first Keli Gwyn will join us tomorrow.

So I wanted to ask a broad question to launch our week’s discussion.

This month’s three books are all set in the West.
A Home of Her Own by Keli Gwyn
The Cowboy's Ready-Made Family by Linda Ford
Pony Express Courtship by Rhonda Gibson

Do you like to read Western romance? Why or why not? What elements of a Western romance attract you? What is your all time favorite Western romance novel? Movie? TV show?

message 18: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments I enjoy Westerns. I like the historical aspect. I enjoy stories about cowboys and lawman of the Old West. My all time favorite TV Show that is a western is a three way tie with Gunsmoke, Wagon Train and Bonanza. I am enjoying reruns of The Rifleman on Saturdays on METV. Recent Movie would be Cowboys and Aliens. Movies in general would be any John Wayne movie but especially True Grit and 12 Cowboys and Rooster .
I like Westerns because the good guys win even if it is a struggle.

message 19: by Lyn (new)

Melinda wrote: "I enjoy Westerns. I like the historical aspect. I enjoy stories about cowboys and lawman of the Old West. My all time favorite TV Show that is a western is a three way tie with Gunsmoke, Wagon Trai..."
Good points, Melody! I love a good Western too. Have you ever read a Louis L'Amour novel?

message 20: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments Westerns are my favorite time period to read for Historicals! Hmmmm....isn't that strange that my last name is Western!!!! LOL! Like Melinda, I enjoyed all those old westerns when I was growing up because my parents used to watch them! I love reading about cowboys and ranches and those type of stories!

message 21: by Lyn (new)

Valri wrote: "Westerns are my favorite time period to read for Historicals! Hmmmm....isn't that strange that my last name is Western!!!! LOL! Like Melinda, I enjoyed all those old westerns when I was growing up ..."

I wonder why there aren't any more Western series on TV? Do you think there'd be an audience for them?

message 22: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I sometimes watch the reruns on METV. I love John Wayne movies, they are classics and my grandfather looked just like John Wayne. I used to watch his movies with my dad when I was growing up. I think there could be an audience in the younger people if they made westerns with actors they love.

message 23: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Let us know how your surgery went Jenny. praying for a fast recovery time:)

message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (kathyeberly) | 138 comments I enjoy Westerns. Since my hubby and father in love are fans I have watched almost every show or classic movie. This has spawned a real love for historical novels!

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (kathyeberly) | 138 comments I enjoy Westerns. Since my hubby and father in love are fans I have watched almost every show or classic movie. This has spawned a real love for historical novels!

message 26: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I enjoy reading the western ones, there is just something about a ranch setting and the hard working cowboys that need a woman's touch . I have met a new author to me this year Wm Johnstone who wrote western stories,he is deceased but family still has his books out there. I read Christmas stories of his and was hooked -went to library and got some more.
I like the books for our discussion this week.

message 27: by Lyn (new)

Yes, let's not forget Jenny's surgery today.

message 28: by Lyn (new)

Kathy wrote: "I enjoy Westerns. Since my hubby and father in love are fans I have watched almost every show or classic movie. This has spawned a real love for historical novels!"

Well, that's the right attitude, Kathy. If you can't change them, join them!

message 29: by Janis Kay (new)

Janis Kay (riceball1759) | 211 comments I enjoy westerns, but I usually read them in "phases" or binges. Like, I'll read a whole bunch of them straight through and then I need to divert to a different subject (i.e. regency or a war story). Westerns are great because they have grit. The characters (especially the women) are more independent because they aren't as constricted by the strict social/class constructs of the metropolitan areas. It's almost as if the "untamed west" was ahead of its time in some regards. I know, I'm getting very technical><

I really don't know if this counts, but my love for westerns stemmed from the Little House books. Obviously, they don't start up as a romance, but it does later lol.

message 30: by Melody (last edited Mar 07, 2016 10:15AM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I haven't ever watched any Westerns, which is funny because I love reading about them! Something about a cowboy hero just gets to me! I love the hard working, hunky hero I guess! :) I have definitely never been disappointed in any Western setting! I don't really have a favorite book- every one I read seems to be my new favorite! LIH has given me many a cowboy to swoon over!

message 31: by Melody (last edited Mar 07, 2016 10:16AM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Haha Valri! You made me laugh! Perfect last name indeed! ;)

message 32: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Hi, Ladies. Although I don't have a book out this month, I'd love to make a few comments about westerns. I'm a huge John Wayne fan and grew up seeing his movies with my dad. These days I'm enjoying the old TV westerns on MeTV, too. I just finished writing an LIH western to be released next Christmas. Two of my favorite things, Christmas and westerns! What fun!

message 33: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Melinda wrote: "I enjoy Westerns. .... My all time favorite TV Show that is a western is a three way tie with Gunsmoke, Wagon Train and Bonanza..."

I remember Bonanza. I was a young girl when the show aired and had a bit of a crush on Little Joe. The Ponderosa Ranch location they used for the setting is only a couple of hours from where I live. I wished I'd visited the theme park before it closed for good back in 2004.

message 34: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Jenn wrote: "I love John Wayne movies... I used to watch his movies with my dad..."

My dad loved John Wayne movies, too. When he was first diagnosed with Alzheimers, I bought him oodles of the old JW movies. His more recent memories were fading, but I knew those shows he watched as a young man would stay with him longer.

message 35: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Lyn wrote: "Yes, let's not forget Jenny's surgery today."

I've been praying for her. I checked her FB page. A mutual friend posted an update, saying "She had the surgery today. She'd really appreciate prayer for pain reduction and relief from nausea."

message 36: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Paula-O wrote: "I enjoy reading the western ones, there is just something about a ranch setting and the hard working cowboys that need a woman's touch..."

It seems cowboys are popular with many readers. I've often wondered why that is. You've given me some insights, Paula. Thanks.

message 37: by Regina (new)

Regina Scott (reginascott) | 398 comments Keli, we did the same thing with my dad when he had Alzheimer's. He and I would sit and watch the old John Wayne movies from the 30s and 40s. He loved those!

Perhaps because of John Wayne and the novels of Zane Grey, I've always had a soft spot for Westerns. I was tickled when my editor asked me to write one. Louise and I and Renee Ryan will have a set out this summer, part of the Lone Star Cowboy League.

What do you think, ladies--it is the setting, the cowboys, the themes of triumphing over adversity, or something else--that make Westerns so great?

message 38: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Janis Kay wrote: "...Westerns are great because they have grit. The characters (especially the women) are more independent because they aren't as constricted by the strict social/class constructs of the metropolitan areas. It's almost as if the "untamed west" was ahead of its time in some regards."

I agree, Janis. As an author, I appreciate that independence and freedom from social and class expectations. It gives me more leeway with my stories.

Most of my stories are set in California, where I live. While the state quickly became cultured, we have a much less informal atmosphere than other places in the U.S. I'm sure there are states where seeing people in shorts and flip flops in church would be a bit of a shock, but that's not uncommon here, especially in the summer.

message 39: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Janis Kay wrote: "I really don't know if this counts, but my love for westerns stemmed from the Little House books. Obviously, they don't start up as a romance, but it does later lol."

I love the Little House books. I read them over and over again when I was a girl. I remember being thrilled when my fifth grade teacher, a grandmotherly woman, told us that she'd actually met Laura Ingalls Wilder in person when she was young. Can you imagine?

Laura's stories are what started my love affair with historicals. I loved seeing the world through her eyes and dreamed of writing stories set during that period. I am now, and I couldn't be happier.

message 40: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Our grandchildren live with us, and we're currently reading the Little House books to them for bedtime stories. Even our 16 yo grandson still enjoys them, and this is probably his third time through.

message 41: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Melody wrote: "I don't really have a favorite book- every one I read seems to be my new favorite! LIH has given me many a cowboy to swoon over!"

Your comment made me smile, Melody. I'm sure you'll be eager to pick up Linda and Rhonda's books this month. You'll get a cowboy fix for sure. =)

message 42: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Regina wrote: "Keli, we did the same thing with my dad when he had Alzheimer's. He and I would sit and watch the old John Wayne movies from the 30s and 40s. He loved those!..."

I'm sorry your dad dealt with that disease, too. It's heartbreaking to watch a person robbed of his or her memories.

I love that you watched JW movies with your dad. How special.

message 43: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Louise wrote: "Our grandchildren live with us, and we're currently reading the Little House books to them for bedtime stories..."

What fun to share the Little House books with a new generation of readers. I'm glad your grands are enjoying them.

message 44: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments My mother was another Alzheimer's patient who loved the John Wayne movies my sister showed her every day. I guess she remembered watching them with my dad. In The Quiet Man, Mom would always shout, Kiss her, you fool, when JW was about to kiss Maureen O'Hara. Which brings up a random thought. So sad that Miss O'Hara died last year. The end of an era, for sure.

message 45: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments I don't know why there aren't more western TV show today, Lyn. I think it's just a "lost art"! There are many western books that are still popular! It seems like any western show they DO have are too graphic for me. Why they have to go and change things is disappointing to me but that's Hollywood! I don't need to see all the blood & guts and hear all the profanity! I just want a good story!

message 46: by Regina (new)

Regina Scott (reginascott) | 398 comments Thanks, Keli. Your post touched my heart as well, as did Louise's. Sounds like there are several of us who have gone down the road with losing parents. I love that stories are some of the things that bind us together during those times.

Some great Westerns coming out this month for sure! I'm so glad that Love Inspired Historical has such a talented group of writers who love the Old West!

message 47: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments I love our LIH books and read as many as I can. We have such great authors. I'm never disappointed. So glad I get to write these books, too, but I'd read them even if I didn't write them.

message 48: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Louise wrote: "My mother was another Alzheimer's patient who loved the John Wayne movies my sister showed her every day."

I'm so sorry your mother was another victim of Alzheimers, Louise. It's such a terrible disease. We suffer right along with our loved ones as we watch the people we remember them being slipping away before our very eyes.

message 49: by Melinda (last edited Mar 07, 2016 09:31PM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Lyn wrote: "Melinda wrote: "I enjoy Westerns. I like the historical aspect. I enjoy stories about cowboys and lawman of the Old West. My all time favorite TV Show that is a western is a three way tie with Guns..."

Yes I have read a couple of his books. They were good. I have a friend who has all of his books.

message 50: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Louise wrote: "I love our LIH books and read as many as I can. We have such great authors. I'm never disappointed. So glad I get to write these books, too, but I'd read them even if I didn't write them."

Well said, Louise! I second this.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6