Play Book Tag discussion

Little Women
This topic is about Little Women
Archive: Other Books > Little Women by Louisa May Alcott ★★★

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Feb 28, 2016 04:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1268 comments Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
★★★

What I Liked
Family Dynamics: I really loved the March family. I loved seeing the conflicts and resolutions between the four girls. I loved seeing the girls grow into the women they became. And, I loved Marmee and Mr. March and how they parented their girls. I know their family was idealized, but I still loved it.

Easy to Read: I was a little worried that Little Women would be hard to read in the sense of the language used. I want to read the classics, but because I have a hard time understanding the language sometimes, I’m not as gung ho about reading them as I should/could be. I was quite surprised that Little Women wasn’t hard to read. It was actually quite simple, which I really liked.

Timelessness: I really love the timeless aspect of Little Women. Even though there are outdated themes, like gender roles, there’s so much to learn and glean from the lives of the March sisters.

Part 1: I really enjoyed part 1 of Little Women, the part that was originally Little Women. It was fun to read about the girls’ adventures and about their life while their father was away at war.

What I Didn’t Like
Jo/Laurie: I had been spoiled about Jo and Laurie before starting Little Women, so I knew they wouldn’t end up together. However, what I didn’t realize is how much I wanted them to be together. I loved Jo and Laurie’s relationship. I love that they were best friends and I could totally see their relationship turning into love. But, it wasn’t meant to be according to Alcott and it really rankled. The reason both Marmee and Jo gave as to why Jo shouldn’t marry Laurie just felt too contrived to fit Alcott’s agenda.

Asides: I didn’t really like all the asides made by Alcott when she inserted her opinion or her very unsubtle foreshadowing. I also didn’t like the addition of the plays or the PC and PO. I felt like they ripped me out of the story. However, I did like the story they made up during their game at Camp Laurence.

Setting: I do like the overall setting of Little Women, but there were times that I had a hard time understanding why something was important or not the best thing (e.g. “sensational” stories) because of the time period. I also had to grit my teeth with a few things in regards to women. I know it was a different time than now, so I do give it a pass, but it was still hard to witness sometimes.

Part 2: I really didn’t like part 2 of Little Women, the part that was originally called Good Wives. It kind of soured my whole experience with the story. Most it has to do with the Jo/Laurie thing I mentioned above. Some of it has to do with the issues I had with the setting that I also already mentioned. And, some of it was that Beth died because she was my favorite sister throughout the whole story.

Bottom Line
I’m glad I read Little Women. It was an interesting read and experience since I knew hardly anything about it. I definitely think it’s worth reading, but I wish things had worked out differently between Jo and Laurie. If they had, I think I would’ve liked the overall story better. At this point, I don’t think I’ll read Little Men or Jo’s Boys.

message 2: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments Little Women was chosen as a summer read for my book club (I'm in Australia so it was over the Christmas break). I found it to be a veritable snore-fest and abandoned reading it after forcing myself to read fifty percent. When we d

message 3: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments ...discussed it it seemed that those who read and loved it at a young age enjoyed revisiting the experience. I didn't read it as a teenager so there was no nostalgia for me. Sorry for the broken post. I can't edit from my phone.

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1268 comments Susie wrote: "Little Women was chosen as a summer read for my book club (I'm in Australia so it was over the Christmas break). I found it to be a veritable snore-fest and abandoned reading it after forcing mysel..."

Yeah, I read it as part of a read-along that I instigated because I had always wanted to read it. I'm glad I read it, but it definitely wasn't a favorite nor will I read it over and over again.

Cora (corareading) | 1314 comments When I was a teenager, I devoured all of Louisa May Alcott's novels. They only ones I did not like were the Little Women series. I have been meaning to reread Rose in Bloom to see if those hold up with grown up me.

Patty | 80 comments Cora wrote: "When I was a teenager, I devoured all of Louisa May Alcott's novels. They only ones I did not like were the Little Women series. I have been meaning to reread Rose in Bloom to see if those hold up ..."

I recently read Rose in Bloom for the first time and did not care for it. I just reread the Little Women series and still liked it. I think it has a lot to do with what we read as a child and the movies we seen.

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments This was a childhood favorite. I also adore all of the movies based on the book. I am glad I don't reread because this is one of those I am afraid wouldn't stand the test of time. Maybe I should just go watch one of the movies again to get my fix.

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1268 comments Sara wrote: "This was a childhood favorite. I also adore all of the movies based on the book. I am glad I don't reread because this is one of those I am afraid wouldn't stand the test of time. Maybe I should ju..."

Maybe, a reread would stand the test of time. I read this as a read-along and several people were rereading and still loved it just as much as they did the first time.

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1268 comments What's really interesting is that now that I've had time to sit with the story a bit, I'm not quite as upset about the whole Jo/Laurie thing. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want them together, but I'm okay with it now. It's really weird. I guess that's a plug for not writing a review right after you finish a book. Let it sit and stew a bit first.