Authors-Readers Connect discussion

Favorite Books > What Books Should Be Movies?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Kummer | 622 comments Mod
There are plenty of books made into movies, and it seems like the only "new" ideas Hollywood has is from books, most of the time.

With so many books out there, which books do YOU think should be movies?

(You can say your own book, if it really would be a good movie.)

message 2: by Gaines (last edited Mar 16, 2016 12:04AM) (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 86 comments American Gods, in my very strong opinion! I've been envisioning scenes while reading it. Not sure who should play Shadow, though. Probably a complete unknown would be best (but of course someone who can really act). (view spoiler)

message 3: by David (new)

Yeah its always really great when an unknown actor gets real famous through a show or something.

Id say that Lauren Alego's Hikrrs series should be a movie. I highly suggest you check it out if youre looin for a good read.

message 4: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 1061 comments Mod
This is a good question. I'm going to have to think hard about it and get back with you:)

message 5: by David (new)

I'll be waiting patiently :)

message 6: by David (new)

Maybe not patiently hehe

message 7: by Justin (last edited Oct 06, 2016 08:19PM) (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 177 comments Shameless plug but I think some of my books would make great novels.:)

With that out of the way what books should be movies? Hmm..

-The Endlands by Vinvent Hobbes
-The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger
-Pronto, Riding the Rap and Raylan by Elmore Leonard
-Sewerville by Aaron Saylor

message 8: by David (new)

Have they made movies of any Steinback books? My dad loves his work.

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 177 comments They have not nor will they. He's still alive I believe and doesn't want his books made into movies.

message 10: by Groovy (last edited Oct 06, 2016 08:17PM) (new)

So, you're not talking about "Of Mice and Men", Steinbeck? That was a movie, and a good one, too. So was Grapes of Wrath, and East of Eden, all movies. Steinbeck has been dead a long time.

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 177 comments Groovy wrote: "So, you're not talking about "Of Mice and Men", Steinbeck? That was a movie, and a good one, too. So, was Grapes of Wrath, and East of Eden, all movies. Steinbeck has been dead a long time."

I confused John Steinbeck with J.D Salinger lol. My bad. I made the correct in my previous comment. Salinger died in 2010, back when I was in school four years prior I had heard that none of Salinger's books would be made into movies because he did not want them to be. Seeing that he's died perhaps someone will want to try and make Cather in the Rye or any of his books into movies..

message 12: by David (new)

I wouldn't be surprised if Catcher in the Rye was made into one.

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Tigers curse by Colleen houck

message 14: by Groovy (new)

If they do, Megan, I hope you won't be disappointed if they divert far away from the originality of the book, which they so often do:)

message 15: by David (new)

Yeah, some movies are nothing like the books!

message 16: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 36 comments The fact that so many movies hasn't been able to stick to the books, it is hard to say I want a movie based on this book.

The one that I would love to have the most (and hopefully sticking to the book) would be "Eva underground", "The Bookstore", "The Soulkeeper" which is a series, The Jena Fox Chronicles, "All In" (which is actually from a Swedish author, "Monsters: A Love Story", "The Bourbon Thief", "The City Baker's Guide to Country Living", "The Bookshop on the Corner", "You Know Me Well", "All Is Not Forgotten", "June", "The Unseen World", and "The Woman in the Photo".

So there are more then one book that I would love to see as a movie. But they were all so inspiring that I think it could touch and help others without having to read the book (if it is done correctly).

message 17: by Groovy (new)

I've learned, Kenzie, that it is most unlikely. They never stick to the book's original meaning. I still don't understand why. I have yet to hear someone say, "Loved the movie, it was just like the book." No, I hear, "Liked the movie. Nothing like the book, though."

message 18: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 36 comments There have only been 2 books that I have read that has turned into a movie, that have been just like the book, but for some reason it just wasn't the same and the book was always better.

Like "girl on the train" was very very close to the book, but for some reason it just didn't feel right.

But sometimes there are movies that are good or really good, but are very very different then the book. Like "My sister's keeper", and "Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children".

It just sucks some times. haha

message 19: by Groovy (new)

I know what you mean. I have to admit I did love the movies even though they didn't come close to the books.

message 20: by David (new)

That's one of the things about movies is that they can be especially good, even when they aren't similar to the books. That tends to happen quite a bit.

message 21: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 36 comments True David, but then you get a movie that is so bad, it makes you want to hate the book.

message 22: by David (new)

Ah, the problems of entertainment.

message 23: by Aly (new)

Aly | 22 comments I think it great they have made sooo many books into movies. My opinion is that they should make more because I why do soo many remakes when we can pick book to make movie and TV show. there is sooo much great stuff to choose from out there.

message 24: by David (new)

Exactly! And new stuff sells just as good. It's so much more... what's the word... new.

message 25: by Aly (new)

Aly | 22 comments I don't know if anyone here has read The Ghost Files. I got hooked on this entire series, I can't wait for the next books to come out and this series will be made into a movie. They are working on it! I hope they do a good job because it think it could be bigger than Twilight and Harry Potter if done well. Anyone else read them?

message 26: by David (new)

I actually have not read those, but I certainly have heard of them! Since you like them so much, I may check them out soon :) If it's bigger than those 2 series, I might as well hop on the bandwagon now and get a front-row seat!

message 27: by David (new)

Aly, turns out I actually have this book on my Kindle! I bought it when it first came out but totally forgot. Looks like I've found my next book to read.

message 28: by Aly (new)

Aly | 22 comments David wrote: "Aly, turns out I actually have this book on my Kindle! I bought it when it first came out but totally forgot. Looks like I've found my next book to read."

The first book in the Ghost files series has been free on Amazon for a while not sure if it still is but that hooked me! I'd love to know what you think of these books, David. If you want to share.

message 29: by David (new)

Alright thanks. I'll try to get to them once I finish up with the one I'm reading now. I believe I got the first one free on Amazon, talking about Ghost Files

message 30: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 177 comments The Gun Town Gun Ghost by L. Ron Hubbard. It's a quick and fun short story and I'd love to see it as a movie because I think it'd be entertaining and hilarious.

message 31: by David (new)

Have they made many short stories into movies? I can think of a couple, but nothing new-ish.

message 32: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Ullman | 68 comments Garth Stein's The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Go Enzo!

message 33: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 177 comments Vlad: The Last Confession by C.C Humphrey- There's been movies about Vlad the Impaler but this would be a lot more intense and surreal and beyond just his impaling.

message 34: by Aly (new)

message 35: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Black (alexisblack) | 2 comments I would love to see Redefining Normal: How Two Foster Kids Beat The Odds and Discovered Healing, Happiness and Love as a movie! Redefining Normal by Justin Black

message 36: by J. (new)

J. Rubino (jrubino) | 3 comments I just came upon this topic. Movies or TV limited series
I am a fan of Jane Harper's books, and her debut novel, "The Dry" was made into a fairly good film, but I think her second - "Force of Nature" - has more cinematic potential.
Michael Robotham's "The Secrets She Keeps" or Minette Walters' "The Celler", both of which I found very unsettling and suspenseful.
IMHO, all of the adaptations of "The Hound of the Baskervilles" missed the mark. Maybe it needs the M. Night Shyamalan treatment.
In the young category - young adult, middle grade - I like April Lindner's "Jane", a Jane Eyre adaptation (Jane's nanny to a rock star), Harriet Feder's Vivi Hartman series, Caitlen Rubino Bradway's "Ordinary Magic", Barbara Robinson's books ("The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" was made into a TV film in the 70s or 80s, I think.)