Ricochet Book Club discussion

Book that I'm enjoying

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth | 7 comments After recently watching Valkyrie with Tom Cruise,I realized I knew nothing about the Nazi resistance, so I sought out a book to expand my understanding of the Valkyrie plot and the resistance movement. I am in the middle of Countdown to Valkyrie by Nigel Jones and am finding it immensely readable. I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else is interested in this topic. (The book itself is from a London publisher and is printed on such quality paper that it's heavy for its size!)

message 2: by Tom (last edited May 01, 2014 07:03AM) (new)

Tom Meyer (tomdmeyer) | 4 comments Funny, I just saw Valkyrie too after years of meaning to do so; frustrating in that it never quite got as good as it promised.

I haven't read the Jones book, but you might enjoy Plotting Hitler's Death, which covers a broader history of (failed) German resistance to Hitler, going all the way back to the 1930s.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth | 7 comments Thanks for the suggestion, Tom. It irks me that I got this far in life without knowing about this, so now I'm trying to play catch-up!

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterc99) | 32 comments I've added Countdown to Valkyrie to my Amazon wish list. Thanks for the suggestion! Meanwhile, have you read The Oster Conspiracy of 1938: The Unknown Story of the Military Plot to Kill Hitler & Avert World War II? I've been meaning to read it for years; perhaps now is the time.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth | 7 comments No,but my reading list is expanding exponentially now. Thanks!