The Reading Challenge Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Mini Challenge Archive 2014-2016 > Ides of March 2016

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Feb 27, 2018 04:52PM) (new)

Renee M | 4727 comments Mod
According to tradition, Julius Caesar was warned by prophecy to "Beware the Ides of March." For this mini-mini, read one book with paranormal activity by March 31, 2016.

For more info on the assasination of Caesar...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ides_...

From Dictionary.com...

Paranormal: —adjective
"of or relating to the claimed occurrence of an event or perception without scientific explanation, as psychokinesis, extrasensory perception, or other purportedly supernatural phenomena."

message 2: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Mar 06, 2016 09:51AM) (new)

From Dictionary.com...

Paranormal: —adjective
"of or relating to the claimed occurrence of an event or perception without scientific explanation, as psychokinesis, extrasensory perception, or other purportedly supernatural phenomena."

message 3: by Margie (new)

Margie This is one of my favorite genres - I'm in!

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 847 comments I'm in, too.

message 5: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Great! I'm trying to find something fun to use for this one, too.

message 6: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Mar 06, 2016 09:57AM) (new)

Ides of March-DONE!
The Lost Days

I didn't know what I was getting into. It's from the Rory Gilmore Reading List. It was cute and I'll bet the graphic novel is fun. I also started another paranormal book but I'm pretty swamped with books right now. I'll update if I decide to finish it.

message 7: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
How about Ink and Bone? Paranormal librarians in a world where the Alexandrian library still exists seems appropriate!

message 8: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

That looks really interesting, Allison. You have a gift for finding series that look fascinating.

I think any paranormal aspect works for this challenge. I'm going to post a definition in the opening thread, but anything supernatural is game.

message 9: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

I finished Ink and Bone. It ended up being more of a dystopia than I had hoped. The paranormal aspect was kind of minor and not really explained, but I think it will come into play more as the series goes on.

message 10: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Dystopian is surprising. Do you think you'll continue with the series?

message 11: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

I think so, eventually. It's still very interesting and I want to know what happens! But it does have some of that bleakness to it that you get with a lot of dystopias.

message 12: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1543 comments Mod
I'm in! I am goanna read one of two mangas- ION about a girl who has supernatural powers that are activated by chanting her name or Nightmares For Sale about a secondhand shop run by a demon that sells cursed items.

message 13: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Great! I love the manga with a supernatural element.

message 14: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Yea ION is cute. It's by Arina Tanamura, I love all her mangas, since she has such a great style and story telling

message 15: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments I read my first graphic novel for this: - The Pretenders by Charlaine Harris. Interesting though not a genre I would chose again. Definitely paranormal - with body-possessing ghosts!

message 16: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Good job, Sam. Sorry it was not your cup of tea but crossing things off the list is good, too.

message 17: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

ION is finished, and I enjoyed it all over agiain. It's extremly cute and funny. Ion gets her powers when she comes into contact with a substance that her schools paranormal research club developed, and when she was a baby she swallowed some, because her father made it first. Lots of laughs with her class president trying to get her to fall for him and Mikado countering hus moves, not to mention comic relief Tago

message 18: by Cindy (last edited Mar 21, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments Do three short stories work for this challenge?
The Dead Smile by F Marion Crawford. This was creepy, takes you into a burial vault to find the secret of Ockram Hall.
The Glamour of the Snow by Algernon Blackwood. Go ice skating with a ghost, then it turned almost deadly.
The Judge's House by Bram Stoker. This was a really creepy haunted house story.

message 19: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

March isn't over; there's still time for the supernatural!

message 20: by Veronique (new)

Veronique Oooo I might try to fit Jackaby. Got it a few months ago...

message 21: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

That looks really interesting. *adds to tbr*

message 22: by Veronique (last edited Mar 29, 2016 09:34AM) (new)

Veronique Cindy wrote: "Do three short stories work for this challenge?
The Dead Smile by F Marion Crawford. This was creepy, takes you into a burial vault to find the secret of Ockram Hall.
[book:The Gla..."

These sound really good! I usually go for M.R. James for creepy stories but I'll definitely have a look at these (the first two were unknown to me).

message 23: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 847 comments Okay and while I counted it in another challenge, Them Bones also works for this as there's a family ghost named Jitty that the main character gets advice from (and reminds me of a paranormal Lulu from the Stephanie Plum series - she has a unique wardrobe and is always coming off with some great lines).

message 24: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Cindy-
Have you decided which mini you want to count it toward? Sounds like it has lots of possibility. *adds another to her burgeoning tbr*

message 25: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 847 comments Probably count it here and try to find another for March madness

message 26: by Veronique (new)

Veronique Renee wrote: "That looks really interesting. *adds to tbr*"

It was. Easy and enjoyable read :O)

message 27: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

I think I actually managed two for this challenge. Curtsies & Conspiracies is the second one. It was lots more fun than Ink and Bone. Full of witty dialogue and silliness - I love Gail Carriger for that.

message 28: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Nice, Allison!
*tbr pile groans under the strain*

message 29: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Sorry about that :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.