The Reading Challenge Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Mini Challenge Archive 2014-2016 > March Madness 2016

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Mar 05, 2016 05:29AM) (new)

Renee M | 4720 comments Mod
Sports and Madness. Humanity's favorite topics. This is a two book mini-challenge for the month of March. One book should be related to a sport, any sport. The other book should be somehow related to psychology. That could mean a whole lot of things that don't qualify as "insanity."

Ingenuity is always welcome, so feel free to make suggestions that interpret this challenge in creative ways. As usual, please share your thought process as you make your choices for these categories.

*Bonus: if you can find a book that has both sports and madness, you can complete this in one!

message 2: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Reserved for Updates.

message 3: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Mar 05, 2016 05:01PM) (new)

Renee's March Madness-DONE!
The Silver Linings Playbook has both sports and psychology. Lots of both. It's a bit exhausting.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments March Madness:
This might be a stretch but...
Sports:
1) Never Love a Highlander (Highlander Games are a sport/competition, right?)

Working on the madness

message 5: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Hahaha! Huge stretch, but what the heck!

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments I'm going to keep looking for other "sports" books. Yeah it's a stretch.

message 7: by Agnik (new)

Agnik | 52 comments For the sport does the book have to be all about some sport or can the sport just be mentioned and played in a few pages?

message 8: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

The sport should be featured somehow. So a romance with a figure skater or a murder at the Olympics or the characters could spend a lot of time watching football (which is the case with Silver Linings Playbook) or taking their kids to little league games. Or the biography of an athlete.

Probably not something like Pride and Prejudice just because they ride horses.

Ultimately, it's your mini-challenge, so use your best judgement. Try to find something that works for you and maybe pushes your comfort zone a little.

message 9: by Agnik (last edited Mar 05, 2016 01:27AM) (new)

Agnik | 52 comments Would Alice in Wonderland be ok - there is madness and they play cricket?

I am trying to find a book with both madness and sport.

message 10: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Lol! I like it!

message 11: by Agnik (new)

Agnik | 52 comments Ok, I am going to read Alice in Wonderland :)

message 12: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I've read enough now to know that The Silver Linings Playbook can count for both sports and psychology. It's a little creepy how these guys worship the Eagles with their rituals, chanting, and human sacrifice.

message 13: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments I haven't figured out a sports book yet, but for 'Madness', I just finished Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan. An incredible memoir of her experience with a difficult to diagnose illness.

message 14: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

That sounds really interesting, Sam.

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments I haven't read or seen Silver Linings Playbook but I guess I thought you had included it because of the 'playbook' reference in the title.

message 16: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I originally thought it was a reference to a plan for getting better. I didn't expect to spend quite so much time on tailgating and sports talk. The author uses these things as character exposition as much as to flesh out the story.

message 17: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments What about a book about professional ballet as a sport?

message 18: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Definitely!

message 19: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1535 comments Mod
The Winning Season for sports (baseball)
The Currious Incident of the dog in the nighttime Madness (main character has autisim, I think that woukd count since its psychology related?)

message 20: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Actually for madness goanna change to the manga pandora hearts 24- Main character has lost her memory and they are trying to peice it together.

message 21: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Sounds good

message 22: by Agnik (new)

Agnik | 52 comments Challenge completed!!!

message 23: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Great, Agnik! How did you like the Carol?

message 24: by *Dawn (new)

*Dawn (x1f4dadawnx1f4da) | 9 comments Cindy wrote: "March Madness:
This might be a stretch but...
Sports:
1) Never Love a Highlander (Highlander Games are a sport/competition, right?)

Working on the madness"

Cindy, since you seem to like romance, you might like Robyn Carr's Thunder Point series. #9 in the series, Wildest Dreams centers around the MC being an Ironman triathlete. #7, One Wish revolves around the MC being a former Olympian and professional figure skater. The books in that series do build on each other but can be read as stand alones as well.
One Wish (Thunder Point, #7) by Robyn Carr Wildest Dreams (Thunder Point, #9) by Robyn Carr

message 25: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (last edited Mar 19, 2016 03:22PM) (new)

Finished the madness half with Pandora Hearts, Vol. 23. The main character has lost her memories and they are finding them as they battle. There are also several characters who could be clasified as insane.

Sports half done with The Winning Season

Enjoyed pandora hearts, I love the whole series. Winning season I was meh about. Baseball romance, not really my cup of tea.

message 26: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments Dawn wrote: "Cindy, since you seem to like romance, you might like Robyn Carr's Thunder Point series."

I'm definitely going to check those out! Thanks, Dawn.

message 27: by Agnik (new)

Agnik | 52 comments Renee wrote: "Great, Agnik! How did you like the Carol?"

Well I liked it and didn't at the same time. Overall I enjoyed it but I thought that Alice was too arogant. It was very mad indeed!

message 28: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

March isn't over; you can still get in a little madness!

message 29: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments Finally a book with 'madness' - Them Bones had a character that had been in a mental institution for 19 years.

message 30: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Fabulous! Just in time!

message 31: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments So Instead of "Them Bones", I'm going to use "The Good Girl" as madness part of challenge as Mia has amnesia.

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments So Instead of "Them Bones", I'm going to use "The Good Girl" as madness part of challenge as Mia has amnesia.

message 33: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Sounds good. Hope you enjoy both books.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.