The Reading Challenge Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Mini Challenge Archive 2014-2016 > Luck 'O The Irish (March 2016)

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Feb 28, 2016 11:46AM) (new)

Renee M | 4708 comments Mod
This single book challenge is only good for one month! From March 1 to March 31.

Mission: Find and read one book with a story or cover/title that is somehow associated with the "Irish" experience. Books set in Ireland, Irish immigrant stories, anything by Maeve Binchy, etc. For cover/title, this could mean green, orange, luck, clover, lucky charms (rabbit's foot, etc.), or whatever else means "Irish" to you. (Without being offensive, of course. This is a happy, welcoming book group. Everyone on the planet has to deal with some stereotype. It's one thing for me, as a blonde, to tell blonde jokes, but I don't make the mistake of thinking I'm a fool.)

Any genre is welcome. Finding the books is part of the fun! For example, the books below could be counted for this challenge...

Green Mansions
Orange Is the New Black
The Lucky One
Plum Lucky
How the Irish Saved Civilization
My Left Foot

Please include something about the "Irish Connection" in your post, so we can all enjoy your creativity. :)

P. S. You can do this challenge more than once in March.

message 2: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1510 comments Mod
I am going to read Tears of The Moon by Nora Roberts. It not only has a green cover, but is part of her Irish Trilogy!

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 797 comments I'm going to do this but will have to find something that fits the category.

message 4: by Evan (new)

Evan (perfect_leaves) | 97 comments The Joy of Argument has green on the cover, yay! It also had a plant that is not a four-leaf clover, but I'm going to pretend it is, lol.

message 5: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Haha! Sounds good!

message 6: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I'll read Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk for the green cover.

message 7: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Very green! :) Looks interesting, too. It's one I've never heard of. You'll have to let us know what you think when you're finished.

message 8: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Finished Tears of The Moon. It was funny and endearing. I usualy don't read romances, but it was a nice change. I loved how the title of the book and the other two in the series speak to the faeire background woven throughout. Also- woman stealing mans own frying pan to konck him with- priceless!

message 9: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
I managed to find one that doesn't cross over with another challenge - Throne of Jade for green on the cover and in the title.

Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2) by Naomi Novik

message 10: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Both of you are reading the #2 book in a series. Have you read the #1 book? Was it good enough to warrant continuing on or have you picked #2 for some unrelated reason?

message 11: by Cindy (last edited Mar 06, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 797 comments Just finished Festive in Death - there's no man more Irish than Roarke. < heavy sigh >

message 12: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I had no idea there were so many books in that series. I've been meaning to get to the first one for a while now. Glad to hear it's sigh-worthy.

message 13: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Renee, I never read the first book, this second one was something my friend had given me and it fit here so I read it pretty much

message 14: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Renee wrote: "Both of you are reading the #2 book in a series. Have you read the #1 book? Was it good enough to warrant continuing on or have you picked #2 for some unrelated reason?"

Renee, I read the first book a couple years ago and have been meaning to continue for ages. This will give me a good excuse.

message 15: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_calaelen) | 40 comments I read White Feathers by Susan Lanigan , which counts for this as the main character is Irish.

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments Would a collection of short stories work for this challenge? I was going to download some short stories by Bram Stoker. He was born in Dublin. If I have time I will read one of his novels, but might not get it finished by March 31.

message 17: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Anything by Bram Stoker is a great choice.

message 18: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Finished this with The Girl with the Long Green Heart which has nothing to do with Ireland or Luck. I chose it for the title, which really makes no sense, and the fact that it fits with the genre of the month. It was a fun read filled with classic noire-isms.

message 19: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Renee wrote: "Finished this with The Girl with the Long Green Heart which has nothing to do with Ireland or Luck. I chose it for the title, which really makes no sense, and the fact that it fits wit..."

What an interesting title!

message 20: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 36 comments I read Ella Minnow Pea (green cover edition)! The cover is exactly shamrock green I associate with St. Patrick's Day!

message 21: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Nice! I've got that one on my TBR. What did you think?

message 22: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments I just joined because I can't resist this challenge. The book I've been wanting to read for a while, because I love Trollope and because I'm married to an Irish guy, is The Kellys and The O'Kellys by Anthony Trollope, and its time is now. It is set in Ireland and it was written in Ireland. I will need a little luck though, to finish it in, what, twenty days.

message 23: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Ooo! I love Trollope's novels! I'll looking forward to hearing what you thing of this one. :)

message 24: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments Thanks, Renee!

message 25: by Dana (new)

Dana (danachewy) | 36 comments Renee wrote: "Nice! I've got that one on my TBR. What did you think?"

Sorry for not replying sooner! The novel was very interesting, though a little slow in some places. It was definitely thought-provoking, though, and I found many of the subplots entertaining. Sometimes reading it did feel a little bit like a chore due to the lack of letters that could be used (a plot element) but overall it was quite good!

message 26: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments The Kellys and the O'Kellys is a great Irish read. Thanks for this challenge, Renee...I might never have read this stand-alone Trollope without it.

message 27: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Great to hear it, Linda! I'll definitely move that one up my Trollope list.

message 28: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments Although it's based in England, I read The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray for this challenge as the cover reminds me of a historical fiction set in Ireland.

The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3) by Libba Bray - has the beautiful green flowery background with a woman with long red hair. Seemed reminiscent of something I'd read in the early Outlander series. Hope that's ok!

message 29: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Looks perfect. Hope you enjoy!

message 30: by Evan (new)

Evan (perfect_leaves) | 97 comments Finished The Joy of Argument, I'll write a review on it later, but basically- I wouldn't recommend it. It was offensively facile, haha

message 31: by MorpheusZzz (last edited Mar 31, 2016 10:36AM) (new)

MorpheusZzz | 9 comments A Wrinkle In Time (Time Series, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8) by J.D. Robb The Last Madam A Life in the New Orleans Underworld by Christine Wiltz Dark Witch (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show A Novel of Ireland by Frank Delaney
A Wrinkle In Time Madeleine L'Engle, Time Quintet #1, 3-24-16 (2-1/2*), review GREEN COVER
Conspiracy in Death J.D. Robb, #8 "In Death" series (4*), 3-16-16, review MC, ROARKE, IS IRISH
The Last Madam: A Life in the New Orleans Underworld Christine Wiltz, 3-13-16 (4*), review GREEN COVER
Dark Witch Nora Roberts, #1 Cousins O'Dwyer, 3-29-16 (3*), review SETTING: MAYO COUNTY, IRELAND
Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show: A Novel of Ireland Frank Delaney, 3-30-16 (3-1/2*), review SETTING: IRELAND; IRISH AUTHOR

message 32: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

March isn't over; you can still read something green!

(Or lucky!). ;-)

message 33: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Whew, finished Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk in the nick of time! I give it 4 solid stars. I'm usually too lazy to write in-depth reviews, so here's a review that I agree with:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Mindy

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.