Grab a Book & Play Booktivity! discussion

What Are You Reading? > Reviews - March 2016 - Flowers on Cover

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2829 comments Mod

Read any good books lately that fit our monthly theme? Here's the place to share your opinions / reactions / recommendations.

This month's theme is - FLOWERS ON COVER - Read a book with flowers on the cover. Be sure to post the cover image when you write your review.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Marti (new)

Marti (coloreader) This does not bode well for me. I rarely read books with flowered covers. : )

message 3: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 175 comments Marti wrote: "This does not bode well for me. I rarely read books with flowered covers. : )"

LOL sorry. I am the one who nominated it and ya know after looking over my TBR mountain, man was that ever a STUPID choice. LOL I however did find two books with a few flowers on the cover, so I will be ok. Again sorry.

message 4: by Marti (new)

Marti (coloreader) SouthWestZippy wrote: "Marti wrote: "This does not bode well for me. I rarely read books with flowered covers. : )"

LOL sorry. I am the one who nominated it and ya know after looking over my TBR mountain, man was that e..."

Not a problem! I think the other choices would have have been the same situation for me.

message 5: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin

Black Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin - 4 Stars

Almost twenty years ago, Tessa Cartwright was discovered, virtually dead, in a field of black-eyed Susans. She was the only surviving victim of a serial killer. Now an adult with a teenage daughter, Tessa is still unsure about the identity of the man who took her, even though her testimony helped convict Terrell Goodwin. His attorney needs her help to get a stay of execution. Meanwhile, someone has been planting beds of black-eyed Susans under her window and she's frightened for herself and her daughter. Did I mention she talks to the ghosts of the dead girls she was found with?

One of the most important relationships in the book is between Tessa and her best friend, Lydia. The story is narrated by both the young Tessie, and present day Tessa. We get enough bits and pieces of the story to want to continue. The author gradually frames the story of Lydia and Tessa, who had a falling out and haven’t spoken since they were 17. Why the friendship fell apart and Lydia’s role in Tessa’s life is another layer of plot that adds to the suspense.

This book had a very creative plot and compelling, likable main characters engaging in believable dialogue. There are also some interesting plot twists involving forensic DNA. I've never read any other books by this author but I'll definitely search more out. Despite its dark subject matter, I wouldn't describe this book as gritty or hard to read, and the ending is both surprising and believable.

message 6: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 530 comments The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and A Half A Billion Honey Bees Help Feed America by Hannah Nordhaus
3 stars

The Beekeeper's Lament How One Man and Half a Billion Honey Bees Help Feed America by Hannah Nordhaus

Who would have thought there is so much to know about commercial beekeeping. It makes you wonder why anyone would want to do it. This is an interesting look at what it takes to bring our honey to the table. It was especially interesting to learn what to look for when buying honey. (Turn the bottle upside down and see how fast the bubbles rise to the top. If it rises fast it is not pure honey).

message 7: by Marti (new)

Marti (coloreader) Koren wrote: "The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and A Half A Billion Honey Bees Help Feed America by Hannah Nordhaus
3 stars

[bookcover:The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and Half a Billion Honey Bees Help F..."

Good hint on the honey! We have great local honey here (Colorado) and I always try to buy it.

message 8: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 530 comments Marti wrote: "Koren wrote: "The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and A Half A Billion Honey Bees Help Feed America by Hannah Nordhaus
3 stars

[bookcover:The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and Half a Billion Hon..."

From now on I will buy local. I've also heard it is great for people that have allergies to the outdoors. Helps you develop immunities through exposure I guess. Dont know how else to explain it.

message 9: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Lott | 369 comments The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty--although I read this about 2-1/2 years ago, I forgot nearly all of it! Three young Australian wives have husbands with secrets, one with an awful secret that changes everyone's lives. With the climax coming on Good Friday and Easter weekend, which is autumn in Australia, it was perfectly timed for my reading.

message 10: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 175 comments The Hypocrisy of Disco by Clane Hayward
1 star
I stopped reading on page 75.

message 11: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) SouthWestZippy wrote: "The Hypocrisy of Disco by Clane Hayward
1 star
I stopped reading on page 75."

Thanks for the warning.

message 12: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 265 comments I just started reading The Violets of March

and don't know why I didn't start this sooner. It would have fit the challenge perfectly.
The Violets of March by Sarah Jio

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 170 comments The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
The Woman in White by Wilke Collins
4 stars

Considered to be one of the first mystery novels and I thoroughly enjoyed this. The first line of the book absolutely sums up the story--This is the story of what a woman's patience can endure and what a man's resolution can achieve. Walter Hartright briefly meets a mysterious woman in white under strange circumstances. When he then becomes the art instructor for Laura Fairlie, he is shocked to see such a strange resemblance to his "woman in white". They fall in love but she has been promised by her uncle to Sir Percival Glyde, who seems to be an attentive and charming gentleman--older than Laura. Through various observations by different characters in the book, it comes to light that Sir Glyde may be more interested in Ms. Fairlie's money than he is in her. I'm not comfortable trying to summarize any more of the book for fear of spoiling the story line but it's a great story!! I listened to this and it was read by Josephine Bailey and Simon Pebble. I thought that both of the readers did a wonderful job.

message 14: by Diana S (last edited Mar 30, 2016 11:19AM) (new)

Diana S | 494 comments Mod
The Double Comfort Safari Club by Alexander McCall Smith The Double Comfort Safari Club by Alexander McCall Smith ★★★★
Series: No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #11

I just love reading about Mma Precious Ramotswe adventures with her assistant Grace Makutsi’.
This time there is a midwive and her hanky panky.
A man who got tricked out of his house by the infamous Violet Sephotho. The safari trip to find a guide (eeck! lions, hippos, and crocodiles, have goose-bumps, up & down my arms just thinking about it).
and lets not forget Mma Makutsi's finance. His 1st Auntie won't let Grace see him after he got out of the hospital.
And then Mma Ramotswe uses her common sense with the help of others and resolve everything the best of her abilities. What a lovely woman!
Thank you Mr. Smith for such a wonderful array of characters.

message 15: by Diana S (last edited Mar 30, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Diana S | 494 comments Mod
The Real Girl's Kitchen by Haylie Duff The Real Girl's Kitchen by Haylie Duffy ★★★★

I have really enjoyed this cookbook. Great tidbits about certain foods (especially Kale, have always been curious about that green), good recipes (which I have already enjoyed making some of them and looking forward on trying others). I love that Haylie wrote something on why each recipe meant to her. It gave insights to her love of cooking and how its part of your life. Very nice! :)

Recommend: Nutella Pizza
Sea Salt and Vinegar Kale Chips
Baked Herb Eggs with Parmesan
Baked Dog Treats

There are so many more recipes that I have enjoyed trying. This cookbook is one for the library. :)

message 16: by Connie (new)

Connie D | 265 comments Well, I finally finished two books with flowers on the cover, but now it's April:

Children of the Jacaranda Tree

The Violets of March