Our Shared Shelf discussion

Book Suggestions > Genderqueer fiction?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brannen (new)

Brannen As a transgender person, books focusing on non-binary or genderqueer characters are hugely important to my feminist identity. Books like Brooklyn Burning (Steve Brezenoff) and Written On The Body (Jeanette Winterson) never specify if the protagonist is a man, woman, or otherwise gendered. What other books have people read where the protagonist is never gendered, or else is explicitly queerly gendered?

message 2: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments I still suck at the gender and sexuality definitions (working on it though!), but I welcome all under my feminism umbrella.

I'm not sure I've grasped the nuances of the definitions correctly, so please enlighten me if I make an error when mentioning
Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear
There are some kickass characters in it, including a man identifying as a woman. The main protagonist is lesbian.

message 3: by Brannen (new)

Brannen @Aglaea, it sounds like the one character you mentioned might be a trans woman, but without having read the book it's hard top know for sure. it sounds interesting, though, I may have to read it.

message 4: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments She uses a female name and wears dresses :) Love her!

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) I recently descovered this book Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin, which has a genderfluid protagonist. I haven't read it yet, I have to finish other books, but maybe someone can find it useful here ;)

message 6: by Agustin (new)

Agustin | 223 comments Once I saw at a book store a crime novel by a Turkish author, and the protagonist is a transexual detective. Sadly I remember neither the name of the author nor the title of the book.

message 7: by Em (new)

Em Goodlife (ettaee) The Left Hand of Darkness - Science fiction exploring a different gender setup than the one we humans have. Le Guin is one of those very talented authors who never lets her (rather radical) feminist ideas become didactic. They flow into the story, normalizing even the strangest ideas by never turning the story into a lecture.

message 8: by Catrice (new)

Catrice Thornton (sabiruna) | 10 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

My daughter is a member of the GLSEN national council and my youngest is in the final rounds of being on the high school council. One of the other GLSEN members wrote this and it's absolutely fantastic! It's so wonderful to read a realistic book about being LGBT and coming of age, I can't recommend this one enough. There's currently a list of people borrowing our copy!

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 29 comments Every Day YA about a person who lives by inhabiting other people's bodies for a day. The MC is sometimes male and sometimes female depending on the host body. Falling in love becomes very complicated ...

message 10: by Bunny (last edited Apr 23, 2016 03:43PM) (new)

Bunny I have read Karen Memory. Several of the characters are lesbians, one of the characters is a gay man, one of the characters is a trans woman, several of the characters are bi, one is a cross-dressing hetero male.

message 11: by Bunny (last edited Apr 23, 2016 03:46PM) (new)

Bunny The Ancillary series doesn't gender because the main character and primary narrator is an artificial intelligence who doesn't fully understand gender.

Ancillary Justice
Ancillary Mercy
Ancillary Sword

message 12: by Bunny (new)

Bunny Lock In The gender of the main character is never revealed, because it isn't relevant. When the audiobook came out there were two versions one read by Will Wheaton and the other by Amber Tamblin so you could choose whether you wanted to hear the protagonist in a male or female voice.