Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive Challenge/Read-a-Thon > March 2016 - Luck of the Irish

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Feb 28, 2016 09:57AM) (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 280 comments March 2016 Monthly Challenge - Luck of the Irish
Duration: March 1, 2016 through March 31, 2016

Every year on March 17, the Irish and the Irish-at-heart across the globe observe St. Patrick’s Day. What began as a religious feast day for the patron saint of Ireland has become an international festival celebrating Irish culture with parades, dancing, special foods and a whole lot of green.

Choose a reading level ...

Reading Levels:
Easy - 2 books
Medium - 4 books
Hard - 6 books
Read-a-holic - 8 or more books

and any (or all) of the following and get to reading...

Topics:
1. Book with a green cover.
2. Book with the word "GREEN" in the title.
3. Book with a gold cover.
4. Book with the word "GOLD" in the title.
5. Book with a parade in the text (ie the character is in a parade), or in the title of the book.
6. Book with the word "LUCK" in the title.
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland.
8. Book with Leprechans in it.
9. Book with a Saint in it.
10. Book with a character or author named "Patrick".

Challenge Rules:

→ When you sign up for the challenge, please post some kind of a place saver (i.e. a comment) so that I can link you up under the participants. Once you have decided on your books, just edit that post so that the link under the Participants List will go to your list!

→ When you finish reading a book, please edit your post and add the date completed.

→ You may only use each book once in the challenge, but feel free to use the same titles in other challenges!

→ When you complete the challenge, please copy and paste your entire, completed list as a brand new message to make it easier for everyone to see what you've read, and to have your name marked as "completed".

→ If you decide that you've bitten off more than you can chew, feel free to let me know you'd like to downgrade, or even back out of the challenge. BUT, please do not delete your original post! It will mess up the links to other participants' postings if you do.

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Apr 04, 2016 08:49PM) (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 280 comments Participants
In Alphabetical Order

Aly - Medium
Amy - Hard COMPLETED
Annie - Read-a-holic COMPLETED
Beth - Read-a-holic
Brittany - Medium
Carissa - Easy COMPLETED
Carly - Medium
Jenncw - Easy
J.C. - ✔Easy Medium COMPLETED
Johanna - Easy
Kim - Read-a-holic Hard COMPLETED
Lisa - Easy
Milena - Read-a-holic
Mimi-Kay - Hard Medium COMPLETED
Paulette - ✔Medium Hard COMPLETED

message 3: by Myst (new)

Myst | 108 comments Argh, my plans for this month won't line up with this challenge unless I do *really* good and get through:

The Darkest Touch
Harmful Intent
Vital Signs
Tangled Threads
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Read-a-long:
Treasure Island
The Dead Zone

New releases:
Dark Promises
Fire Touched

Then I can read The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2) by Jeffery Deaver (green cover) and Imitation in Death (In Death, #17) by J.D. Robb (Roarke is Irish).

But don't sign me up just yet.

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) Can you read more than one book per topic? Can I read 3 books with green covers?

message 5: by Annie (last edited Mar 26, 2016 08:06PM) (new)

Annie Johnson | 50 comments I'm in but I do think this is going to be hard. I will take read-a-holic

8/8+ Complete!!

1. Book with a green cover. Green Witch 3/10/16
2. Book with the word "GREEN" in the title. Green Angel 3/10/16
3. Book with a gold cover. The 5th Wave 3/15/16
4. Book with the word "GOLD" in the title.Flecks of Gold 3/16/16
5. Book with a parade in the text (ie the character is in a parade), or in the title of the book. The Midnight Dress 3/26/16
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland. Feverborn 3/15/16
8. Book with Leprechans in it. Winterborne 3/20/16
10. Book with a character or author named "Patrick". Magic Shifts 3/7/16

Read: Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8) by Ilona Andrews Green Angel (Green Angel, #1) by Alice Hoffman Green Witch (Green Angel, #2) by Alice Hoffman Feverborn (Fever, #8) by Karen Marie Moning The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey Flecks of Gold by Alicia Buck Winterborne (Universe Unbound #1) by Augusta Blythe The Midnight Dress by Karen Foxlee

message 6: by Amy (last edited Mar 29, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Amy | 1 comments COMPLETED!!!

Hard 7/6

Topics:
1. Book with a green cover. -- Ice Like Fire
3. Book with a gold cover. -- Friday Night Bites -- finished 03/14/16
4. Book with the word "GOLD" in the title -- Walk on Earth a Stranger (The Gold Seer Trilogy #1) Walk on Earth a Stranger -- 03/19/16
5. Book with a parade in the text -- The Midnight Dress -- finished 03/02/16
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland. -- Carrier of the Mark -- finished 03/17/16
8. Book with Leprechans in it.-- See Me -- finished 03/04/16
9. Book with a Saint in it. -- Armand is considered a saint -- Crimson Bound -- finished 03/16/16
10. Book with a character or author named "Patrick". -- The Orphan Queen -- finished 03/20/16

The Midnight Dress by Karen Foxlee See Me (See Me, #1) by Wendy Higgins Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge Carrier of the Mark (Carrier, #1) by Leigh Fallon Walk on Earth a Stranger (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #1) by Rae Carson The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1) by Jodi Meadows

message 7: by Paulette (last edited Mar 26, 2016 05:45PM) (new)

Paulette Medium - finished 4/4 so then
Hard - finished 6/6 so then
Read-a-holic 10/8+

Topics:
1. Book with a green cover: Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch - finished 3/10
2. Book with the word "GREEN" in the title: Greensmith Girls: Supernatural Witch Cozy Mystery - complete 3/25
3. Book with a gold cover. Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch - finished 3/8
4. Book with the word "GOLD" in the title. "Golden Delicious" by Faith Hunter in the anthology An Apple for the Creature - complete 3/12
5. Book with a parade in the text (ie the character is in a parade), or in the title of the book: "Black and White" by David B. Coe and "Grand Tour" by Steve Ruskin, both in the anthology Temporally Out of Order - complete 3/21
6. Book with the word "LUCK" in the title: "Lucky Charms" by Lisa Shearin, in the anthology Night Shift - complete 3/12
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland. Raven Calls by C.E. Murphy - complete 3/19
8. Book with Leprechans in it: Shaded Vision by Yasmine Galenorn - complete 3/15
9. Book with a Saint in it: Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge complete 3/26
10. Book with a character or author named "Patrick": One Salt Sea by Seanan McGuire - complete 3/24

Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5) by Ben Aaronovitch Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4) by Ben Aaronovitch Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7) by C.E. Murphy Shaded Vision (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #11) by Yasmine Galenorn An Apple for the Creature (Kate Daniels, #5.3) by Charlaine Harris Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #6.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5; Barbarian, #1) by Nalini Singh Temporally Out of Order by Joshua Palmatier One Salt Sea (October Daye #5) by Seanan McGuire Greensmith Girls Supernatural Witch Cozy Mystery (Lainswich Witches Series Book 1) by Raven Snow Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cerveny | 5 comments I know this section isn't for promoting anyone's own works, this is a reading challenge and you can totally delete this posting if it isn't appropriate, but I feel like I have to say something here. My novel is called The Rule of LUCK and it would totally fit into March's reading challenge!

message 9: by Milena (last edited Mar 20, 2016 08:48PM) (new)

Milena | 19 comments I'm in for Read a holic.

Topics:
1. Book with a green cover. The Moth in the Mirror (Splintered, #1.5) by A.G. Howard - READ 29/02/2016
2. Book with the word "GREEN" in the title. Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain
3. Book with a gold cover. Mortal Gods (Goddess War, #2) by Kendare Blake READ 09/03/2016
4. Book with the word "GOLD" in the title. Blood and Gold (The Vampire Chronicles #8) by Anne Rice READ 18/03/2016
5. Book with a parade in the text (ie the character is in a parade), or in the title of the book.
6. Book with the word "LUCK" in the title. Plum Lucky (Stephanie Plum, #13.5) by Janet Evanovich READ 16/03/2016
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland. Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1) by Derek Landy
10. Book with a character or author named "Patrick". Plague of Angels (The Descended, #1) by John Patrick Kennedy READ 19/03/2016

message 10: by Ashley (last edited Feb 29, 2016 10:25AM) (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 280 comments Danielle wrote: "Can you read more than one book per topic? Can I read 3 books with green covers?"

Danielle, no. Only 1 book per topic!

message 11: by Carissa (last edited Mar 29, 2016 08:29AM) (new)

Carissa | 8 comments I'm in for Easy.

2/2 COMPLETED

1) Book with the word "GOLD" in the title:Golden Son by: Pierce Brown (3/23)
2) Book with a green cover: Splintered by: A.G. Howard (3/28)

Golden Son (Red Rising, #2) by Pierce Brown Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard

message 12: by Kimberly (last edited Mar 31, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Kimberly (kimjudd) Downs for read-a-holic!
6/10 complete

1. Book with a green cover. Magic Bites 03/31/16
3. Book with a gold cover. Born of Silence 03/05/16
4. Book with the word "GOLD" in the title. Black Gold 03/28/16
5. Book with a parade in the text (ie the character is in a parade), or in the title of the book. Graveyard Shift (Green, parade, and saints) 03/12/16
6. Book with the word "LUCK" in the title. A Kiss for Luck 03/31/16
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland Burned
8. Book with Leprechauns in it. An Unlucky Moon 03/16/16
9. Book with a Saint in it. The Demon Trapper's Daughter or The Shifter
10. Book with a character or author named "Patrick". Bengal's Heart or Gone
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Born of Silence (The League, #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Black Gold (Takhini Wolves, #1) by Vivian Arend Graveyard Shift (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc., #1) by Angela Roquet A Kiss for Luck by Kele Moon Burned (Fever, #7) by Karen Marie Moning An Unlucky Moon (Dante's Circle, #3) by Carrie Ann Ryan The Demon Trapper's Daughter (The Demon Trappers, #1) by Jana Oliver Bengal's Heart (Breeds, #20) by Lora Leigh

message 13: by Brittany (last edited Mar 16, 2016 06:11AM) (new)

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) | 33 comments Reading Levels:
Medium - 4 books

Topics:
1. Book with a green cover. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Mar 5)
3. Book with a gold cover. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Mar 13)
5. Book with a parade in the text (ie the character is in a parade), or in the title of the book. Autobiography of a Geisha (Mar 3)
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland. The Fairy Boy of Calton Hill (Mar 3)
8. Book with Leprechauns in it.
10. Book with a character or author named "Patrick". Led Astray: The Best of Kelley Armstrong (Mar 14)
The Fairy Boy of Calton Hill by Sean-Paul Thomas The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky Autobiography of a Geisha by Sayo Masuda Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Led Astray The Best of Kelley Armstrong by Kelley Armstrong

message 14: by Jenncw (new)

Jenncw | 6 comments Ashley wrote: "
March 2016 Monthly Challenge - Luck of the Irish

Duration: March 1, 2016 through March 31, 2016

I think I will go for Easy 2 Books, but I might go up later.

1. Book with a green cover. Canyons of Night This cover also has a rainbow and gold lettering, so...St. Patty's Plus!
3. Book with a gold cover.
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland. Dark Witch

Canyons of Night (Arcane Society #12; Harmony #8; Looking Glass Trilogy #3) by Jayne Castle Dark Witch (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts

message 15: by Lisa (last edited Mar 18, 2016 07:39AM) (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) I am in for Easy - two books

Topics:
1. Book with a green cover.
3. Book with a gold cover. Read Uprooted Mar 17, 2016
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland. Read Feverborn Mar 9 2016

Feverborn (Fever, #8) by Karen Marie Moning Uprooted by Naomi Novik

message 16: by Johanna (last edited Mar 18, 2016 04:07PM) (new)

Johanna (bluestardust) | 4 comments Chosen reading level: easy

progess: 2/2 books completed - FINISHED :)

1. book with a green cover: UnHappenings by Edward Aubry
2. book with a golden cover: Written in Fire by Marcus Sakey

UnHappenings by Edward Aubry Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3) by Marcus Sakey

message 17: by Aly is so frigging bored (last edited Mar 05, 2016 02:43PM) (new)

Aly is so frigging bored | 21 comments Level: medium

1. Book with a gold cover. Wicked Enchantment (Dark Magick, #1) by Anya Bast READ 2nd March

message 18: by Mimi-Kay (last edited Mar 07, 2016 04:17PM) (new)

Mimi-Kay (booksarewater) | 6 comments Reading Levels:
Hard - 6 books

0/6 complete

Topics:
Anne of Green Gables
Dark Gold
Wanna Get Lucky?
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland.
Darkfever
8. Book with Leprechauns in it.
An Unlucky Moon
The Pawn

message 19: by Paulette (new)

Paulette Does Patricia Briggs count as an author named Patrick?

;)

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 280 comments Paulette wrote: "Does Patricia Briggs count as an author named Patrick?"

No. Sorry! I think you can find a Patrick! Good Luck!

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethier) | 10 comments I'm in.

Read-a-holic

1. Book with a green cover. Blood Magic (Dragon Born Alexandria, #2) by Ella Summers
3. Book with a gold cover. Melted By The Dragon by Amira Rain
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland. Honour Bound (Highland Magic, #2) by Helen Harper

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments Twice this challenge -- I started a book only to find it fit another topic within this challenge. Since I had originally picked the book for "green cover" -- I happily switched the book to the topic that was harder to find!

message 23: by Carly (new)

Carly (car88) »March 2016 - Luck of the Irish«
Starting late, but I'm going for medium.

·Book with a green cover - Braving Fate (The Mythean Arcana #1) by Linsey Hall (3/14/16)
·Book with a parade in the text - Graveyard Shift (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc., #1) by Angela Roquet 87% (3/4/16)

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 280 comments Amy wrote: "Twice this challenge -- I started a book only to find it fit another topic within this challenge. Since I had originally picked the book for "green cover" -- I happily switched the book to the topi..."

Good Idea Amy!

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 280 comments Carly wrote: "»March 2016 - Luck of the Irish«
Starting late, but I'm going for medium."

Glad to have you Carly!

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 280 comments How is everyone doing? It's about the half-way mark!

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 280 comments Jennifer wrote: "I went from easy then to medium and now I figured I would try for 6 books??"

Nice Jennifer! I'll update your status!

message 28: by Annie (new)

Annie Johnson | 50 comments I am half way done but this is def a hard challenge :) I did find a list of books with leprechauns in them.

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments Annie wrote: "I am half way done but this is def a hard challenge :) I did find a list of books with leprechauns in them."
I luckily started reading a book and found that it was about Leprechauns. Same thing happened when I started another book and it happened to have a saint in it. I guess I was lucky on this challenge!

message 30: by Annie (new)

Annie Johnson | 50 comments Amy wrote: "I luckily started reading a book and found that it was about Leprechauns. Same thing happened when I started another book and it happened to have a saint in it. I guess I was lucky on this challenge! "

I had that happen with Patrick, so I got to move a book from green cover to that. I actually think the saint one might be the hardest or the parade. I guess I just don't read a lot of these types of books so this challenge is hard for me :)

message 31: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 280 comments Yay for Irish LUCK!

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments Annie wrote: "Amy wrote: "I luckily started reading a book and found that it was about Leprechauns. Same thing happened when I started another book and it happened to have a saint in it. I guess I was lucky on t..."

If you need a book with parade -- I read The Midnight Dress (it was okay) and for Saint Crimson Bound. I have not finished Crimson Bound yet.

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments Ashley wrote: "Yay for Irish LUCK!"

LOL! So true Ashley!

message 34: by Annie (new)

Annie Johnson | 50 comments Amy wrote: "If you need a book with parade -- I read The Midnight Dress (it was okay) and for Saint Crimson Bound. I have not finished Crimson Bound yet.

reply | flag *
"

Thank you! i am ready The Midnight Dress now to complete this challenge...I will say so far it has been a slow go for me.

message 35: by Paulette (new)

Paulette Done! Crimson Bound was interesting. I don't know why I didn't get into it more than I did - it has a lot of the things that I really like in books, and it didn't really have anything that I really don't like, but... it was ok. Thank you to whoever originally pointed that book out as having a saint in it, it *was* worth reading!

message 36: by Annie (new)

Annie Johnson | 50 comments Paulette wrote: "Done! Crimson Bound was interesting. I don't know why I didn't get into it more than I did - it has a lot of the things that I really like in books, and it didn't really have anythi..."

I thought I was going to love that book and I was disappointed as well. Hard to put into words why but it just didn't work for me either.

message 37: by Annie (new)

Annie Johnson | 50 comments Done!!!!

8/8+ Complete!!

1. Book with a green cover. Green Witch 3/10/16
2. Book with the word "GREEN" in the title. Green Angel 3/10/16
3. Book with a gold cover. The 5th Wave 3/15/16
4. Book with the word "GOLD" in the title.Flecks of Gold 3/16/16
5. Book with a parade in the text (ie the character is in a parade), or in the title of the book. The Midnight Dress 3/26/16
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland. Feverborn 3/15/16
8. Book with Leprechans in it. Winterborne 3/20/16
10. Book with a character or author named "Patrick". Magic Shifts 3/7/16

Read: Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8) by Ilona Andrews Green Angel (Green Angel, #1) by Alice Hoffman Green Witch (Green Angel, #2) by Alice Hoffman Feverborn (Fever, #8) by Karen Marie Moning The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey Flecks of Gold by Alicia Buck Winterborne (Universe Unbound #1) by Augusta Blythe The Midnight Dress by Karen Foxlee

message 38: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 8 comments Done!! Just in the knick of time too. :)

2/2 COMPLETED

1) Book with the word "GOLD" in the title:Golden Son by: Pierce Brown (3/23)
2) Book with a green cover: Splintered by: A.G. Howard (3/28)

Golden Son (Red Rising, #2) by Pierce Brown Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 280 comments Great job everyone! Who else is done?

message 40: by Amy (last edited Mar 29, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Amy | 1 comments I'm Done .. completed 7 out of the 6 I was going for. May also finish number 8 as well ...

Hard 7/6

Topics:
1. Book with a green cover. -- Ice Like Fire
3. Book with a gold cover. -- Friday Night Bites -- finished 03/14/16
4. Book with the word "GOLD" in the title -- Walk on Earth a Stranger (The Gold Seer Trilogy #1) Walk on Earth a Stranger -- 03/19/16
5. Book with a parade in the text -- The Midnight Dress -- finished 03/02/16
7. Book with an Irish character or set in Ireland. -- Carrier of the Mark -- finished 03/17/16
8. Book with Leprechans in it.-- See Me -- finished 03/04/16
9. Book with a Saint in it. -- Armand is considered a saint -- Crimson Bound -- finished 03/16/16
10. Book with a character or author named "Patrick". -- The Orphan Queen -- finished 03/20/16

The Midnight Dress by Karen Foxlee See Me (See Me, #1) by Wendy Higgins Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge Carrier of the Mark (Carrier, #1) by Leigh Fallon Walk on Earth a Stranger (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #1) by Rae Carson The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1) by Jodi Meadows

message 41: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimjudd) Tried for read-a-holic. Made it to 6 books (hard).
6/10 complete

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Born of Silence (The League, #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Black Gold (Takhini Wolves, #1) by Vivian Arend Graveyard Shift (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc., #1) by Angela Roquet A Kiss for Luck by Kele Moon An Unlucky Moon (Dante's Circle, #3) by Carrie Ann Ryan

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 280 comments I'll update you Kim!

message 43: by Mimi-Kay (new)

Mimi-Kay (booksarewater) | 6 comments I'm done too! It sucks but I only made it to Medium so I'll just add the others to my TBR shelf.

This was fun!
Completed 4/6
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Dark Gold (Dark, #3) by Christine Feehan Wanna Get Lucky? (Lucky O'Toole, #1) by Deborah Coonts The Pawn (The Patrick Bowers Files, #1) by Steven James