Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Anatole France
This topic is about Anatole France
Specific List Authors > Anatole France

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Found this book in my Seattle hotel room and was instantly hooked! Makes me want to read more by this author. I normally veer from French authors - mainly because the French brain so different from mine. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Penguin Island by Anatole France Penguin Island by Anatole France

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (deinonychus) | 244 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Found this book in my Seattle hotel room and was instantly hooked! Makes me want to read more by this author. I normally veer from French authors - mainly because the French brain so different from..."

Penguin Island is amazing. I love Anatole France's writing, but not read much apart from this and some of the short stories. Can I ask what the translation was like? I've long thought that France is the one French author direly in need of fresh English translations. I believe the only one of his books translated in the last 50 years is The Gods Will Have Blood

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I don't know how to answer that David. I'm a bad judge of things like that. My edition was published many years ago. 1930, I think. Still, I really loved this book. We have The Crime of Sylvester Bonnard here at home. I may have to start it.

Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gods Will Have Blood (other topics)
Penguin Island (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anatole France (other topics)