the Belle Cult discussion

Book Discussions > Anna and the French Kiss

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Schooler (questionably_chaotic) AIGHT LET'S DISCUSS THIS

I had a lot of feelings about Anna. For the first hundred or so pages, I really did not like this book. I did not like Anna, I thought she was really annoying to read from, after I got to know her a bit more, I really ended up liking her.

In all of this, St. Clair bothered me as well. I can't pinpoint why he bothered me, but he just did. Probably because I didn't like Anna, so the idea that they liked each other was just eh. Ok, I also believe that Mer is bi? That may just be because I want all the characters to be gay, I dunno. What do you guys think about that.

Ok, can we just talk about the part when she went home for Christmas? Anna really overreacted to finding out Bridge and Toph were dating. But maybe that's because I do not understand relationships. What do you guys think about it?
BUT SEANY WAS SO CUTE! I absolutely loved Seany's character. He was so sweet. And I love how he noticed his sister was sad, and that she was crying a lot. I loved that he wanted to make her feel better

He just made me so happy.

Lemme just go back to the beginning when Mer walks into Anna's room and asks if she's ok. In this scene, Anna is crying because her parents leave her alone in Paris. Mer comes in, and basically makes Anna part of her group. I did not find this part very realistic. The part where she asks if Anna is OK is pretty realistic, but I did not find that bringing Anna into her group was very realistic. Because in all of the schools I've gone to, this doesn't really happen. Once you have a group, it's very hard for a newcomer to become part of it.
It's easy to sit with the group, and be friends with them, but to actually be part of the group, and get to do things outside of class I find to be very difficult.

Despite this, I really really enjoyed this book.

What do you guys think?

message 2: by Philippa (new)

Philippa Oh wow you've raised a load of good questions!

With the whole Anna/Bridge/Toph thing going on, I guess the reaction kind of stemmed from a) being lead on by Toph b) her ridiculously OTT crush and c) the fact that Bridge didn't tell her. C) is probably the main point because the betrayal made it all seem like a much bigger issue when Bridge totally should have told Anna but idk

Anyway, I totally agree with you about Mer and Shauny bc although Mer is shown as very much straight I think there is room for interpretation there.

Tbh I don't really know what to say because I just really love this book? It makes my chest hurt with its cuteness so I can't think of any proper discussion-y comments

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (perksofabookshelf) | 29 comments I agree I was a bit iffy about it at first, but I just loved the concept. Then from there it got even better. I really like Anna's character and her obsession with movies. I liked her relationship with 'fancy French guy whose name I cannot spell' as well

Scenes I liked:
The soccer game. It was such a small part but it was cute
"I want the thing that is best for me" that was nice. If you've read Isla it's just icing to the cake

There was a whole lot of unnecessary tension that got annoying. Partially with everything with her not boyfriend but not all. I suppose both of fancy French guy and her ex's made things complicated lol. I didn't really mind it though

Solid 4/5 read. I love cutesy romances. Makes me want to study abroad

message 4: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (thesparklywriter) | 14 comments The first time I read this, about a year ago, I really liked it. But since reading it again, I didn't really like the plot, like it was ok but it was abit unrealistic. I think I've become bored of YA love stories like this, if I'm honest. mainly because I've read SO many if them. But having said that, I really did like the characters and how easily you get pulled into the book. So yeah, overall I'd say it was a good read :p

message 5: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (perksofabookshelf) | 29 comments My review was based off of the first time I read it . I didn't retread it partially for that reason. I was worried I may not like it the same... Have you guys read the other two?

message 6: by Philippa (new)

Philippa Yeah, I've read all of them - I like how the characters are all quite different so it's not like just reading the same book again. Anna and Isla are kind of joint favourites for me, and Lola is a bit behind them

message 7: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (thesparklywriter) | 14 comments yeah I've read the other two, I orefer characters to the plot in all of them, but they are supposed to be fun love stories so it's good in that sense I guess :)