♥ Nothing Better Than Reading!! ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
BR & BOTM Archives > March 2016 - Pairings Announced

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A, Crazy. (last edited Mar 29, 2016 08:27AM) (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

The pairs for the March Buddy Read have been formed. Please make your Buddy Read threads yourself. Any one Buddy can do it, although please check whether your partner has already made the thread or not before yourself making it.

The format of the threads :

BR (No. of your pair) - Name of Buddy Readers; Start date ----> 1st March

Thanks again!

Pairs

1. Morgan - Chelsea
2. Taylor - Brittany
3. Lata - Vipul
4. Karrington - Kate
5. Neha - Sadaf
6. Princess~Butterflu - Coco
7. Arch - Juli
8. Liz - Olea
9. Devi - Shubham
10. Hemdiva - Yogya Hari Prakash
11. Loner - M Fancy
12. Renie - Elisabeth
13. Jai - Richa
14. Rahul - Harsha
15. Billie - Traci

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments I would like to buddy read too -please-my books to buddy read are-Some Luck by Jane Smiley, The Man from St Petersburg by Follett, Mrs Poe by Lynn Cullen or Monuments Men by Edsel
Thank you for having the buddy reads- makes reading even more enjoyable

message 3: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Olea-I see neither one of us has read Maze Runner on our profiles and I would like to read that with you in place of your non-responding buddy

message 4: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Hmm Ok- what would like to buddy read??

message 5: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Great- thank you to you and your buddy reader- what are you reading ?

message 6: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Many thanks for the invite but I do not have a kindle and do not have those books so I will not be able to buddy read with you in March-I have sent in my requests for April so , hopefully will be lucky to be paired with you then.
Again many thanks for you invite and kindness.

message 7: by Vipul (new)

Vipul Murarka (vipulmurarka) | 23 comments Hi Lata
Extremely sorry for the delay in responding....have been travelling like mad lately.
Which book do you suggest to read?

message 8: by Vipul (new)

Vipul Murarka (vipulmurarka) | 23 comments Hi Lata
Extremely sorry for the delay in responding....have been travelling like mad lately.
Which book do you suggest to read?

message 9: by Vipul (new)

Vipul Murarka (vipulmurarka) | 23 comments Hi Lata,

Then lets read Difficulty of Being Good. It is indeed an amazing book as far as I read... :)

Looking forward for your confirmation

message 10: by Vipul (new)

Vipul Murarka (vipulmurarka) | 23 comments Lata wrote: "Vipul wrote: "Hi Lata,

Then lets read Difficulty of Being Good. It is indeed an amazing book as far as I read... :)

Looking forward for your confirmation"

Done:) Will download right away"

Great...

message 11: by Vipul (new)

Vipul Murarka (vipulmurarka) | 23 comments Lata wrote: "Vipul wrote: "Lata wrote: "Vipul wrote: "Hi Lata,

Looking forward for your confirmation"

Done:) Will ..."

Hi Lata, Indeed I agree with you. The Difficulty of Being Good is one book that is thought provoking. Instead of thanking me, I think I should be the one thanking you to go through my profile and taking up this book.
While we are reading this amazing book, let us discuss this book chapter by chapter so that we do not miss the essence of it.
Let me know your suggestions. :)

message 12: by Vipul (new)

Vipul Murarka (vipulmurarka) | 23 comments Lata wrote: "I'm game, Vipul. Should we just post our thoughts on each chapter in this thread as we go along? I will begin in an hour by sharing my thoughts on the Prelude and Chapter 1 on Duryodhana's envy. Wo..."

I will comment on the prelude and chapter 1 in the evening :)

message 13: by Vipul (new)

Vipul Murarka (vipulmurarka) | 23 comments Vipul wrote: "Lata wrote: "I'm game, Vipul. Should we just post our thoughts on each chapter in this thread as we go along? I will begin in an hour by sharing my thoughts on the Prelude and Chapter 1 on Duryodha..."

HI Lata....sincere apologies for such a late reply. Got really busy with work.

It will be difficult for me to write about one chapter every day as i just get an hour or two max to read because of my hectic work life.....it may be that 1 chapter in 2 days... maybe you can put your learning and points whenever you finish and I reply a day later....hope that is ok
my learning from the first chapter is in the next comment

message 14: by Vipul (new)

Vipul Murarka (vipulmurarka) | 23 comments Vipul wrote: "Vipul wrote: "Lata wrote: "I'm game, Vipul. Should we just post our thoughts on each chapter in this thread as we go along? I will begin in an hour by sharing my thoughts on the Prelude and Chapter..."

This book was suggested to me by one of the persons here in Jaipur who runs a famous bookstore. While discussing with him once, that these days my interest is around mythology, he got up and handed over this book to me. I asked him whats so good about this book and he told me that this book dives deep into the character of some of the important players from Mahabharata and then how Das explains the difficult concept that are still relevant in todays time. That intrigued me and i bought the book.
About the prelude, one thing that i got hooked on to was the fact that he began the book by raising some very important points such as, Yudhishthira who had never spoken flase, tells a white lie; there is a larger meaning to the game of dice in the sense that it was just not the game. The ironies that Das brought forward such as Yudhishthira who doesn’t want to fight but gives the order for the war to start; he then goes on to win the war not by excellence but by deceit, started flirting more with my mind and i just couldn’t stop the book after that. When i ended the prelude, i wanted to learn that why did the great heroes resorted to deception and trickery to win the war? With that i moved on to the first chapter

In Duryodhan’s envy chapter, it becomes clear that the nature of the human is still the same as it was during the time of Mahabharata. I underlined this line that Duryodhan tells “Discontent is at the root of prosperity”. To be honest, i believe in these words. It is because if everything is perfect and i don’t long for anything, i may not grow as a human being. If i am contended with my job, with my salary, with relationship, i may never reach beyond a point and would just be stuck and lead a monotonous life. There is discontent in my life, that leads me innovate and get newer ideas to get rid of that discontent and i move an inch closer to being happy?

But, am i really moving an inch towards happiness? When there was no tv, i wanted a tv. When i got an old TV box, i wanted a newer flat screen; when i got a flat screen, i was discontented with the size of it; when i got the bigger screen, i need the HD channels, now i pay more for the HD channels, I am discontented that i could have used all that money for something better. Yes staying discontented is helping me to enjoy the pleasures of life, but it is making me even more discontented. But as i said, at this moment in life i am happy in being discontented else i may just be leading a monotonous life.

Another important takeaway for me from this chapter was what Vidura told the blind king
“to save the family, abandon an individual. To save the village, abandon a family; to save the country abandon a village. To save the soul, abandon the earth”
While probably everyone may agree that one should abandon a small thing for the greater good. But is that happening in today’s times? Will i be able to abandon my child if he indulges in something wrong. At this moment, my immediate answer is yes; but will i really be able to abandon him if he does something terribly wrong? This quote left me thinking...

Another important lesson that this chapter taught me was to say no. When i finished my 12th, my psychology teacher told me to learn to say no else the world is gonna use me. Her words did come true in many instance. Had Yudishtira said no to the game (he had vowed not to say no to avoid any conflict) maybe this great war had not happened at all and so many lives could have been saved. I am still learning to say no and i must say i have covered 10% of the distance (atleast something)
Another important point that has been raised in this chapter is that people act against their moral convictions. It is indeed the sad part of life. We know that we are doing wrong, but we at times still go ahead with doing that thing. Maybe it could be because of greed most of the times, but we need not just be morally conscious but also take steps to not do wrong to anyone.
One line that stayed with me from this chapter was “kala (time) is always cooking us”.

An important probably the last take away from this chapter for me was the fact that there is positive envy too. We know, and it has been put forward in this chapter too, that envy is super dangerous and it can lead to many unwanted activities, i was mildly happy to be introduced to the fact that there is something of “positive envy” too. Positive envy means that i want something from you without praying that you lose it. When i thought more about it i realised that i have been trying to practice this since long. It is just that i didn’t know it is positive envy. I don’t think there is any harm in having positive envy as it helps me take step to reduce my discontent.

message 15: by Vipul (new)

Vipul Murarka (vipulmurarka) | 23 comments Lata wrote: "On Duryodhana's envy - reading this chapter, the reader is forced to reflect on the fact that life hasn't changed at all because human nature hasn't. Envy still rules. Fear of survival (read loss o..."

Amazing review of the first chapter and the prelude. I can never write so many things in such a summarized manner. Maybe that's why you are an author :)

Just one point you have mentioned that Yudhishthira should have known that he is walking into a trap... factually it is mentioned in the book that he had decided that he will not say no as he felt that not saying no would help him to save the kshatriyas....however isnt it a fact that even if we know that something is bad for us, still we do it? Smoking for example....we know that smoking is bad not only for us but also for our near and dear ones, still we smoke. I think that is called being human.

message 16: by Vipul (new)

Vipul Murarka (vipulmurarka) | 23 comments Lata wrote: "Vipul, when I read Chapter 2 'Draupadi's courage', her words "Whom did you lose first, yourself or me?" haunted me. It's not just a question she asked of Yudhishthira. It's a question relevant to a..."

“Whom did you lose first, yourself or me”. Indeed this question left an impact on me....however even worse for me was how Bhishma explained Draupadi that wife belongs to the husband. I am extremely proud of our Indian culture and the way things in our society are planned. However I am deeply saddened by this statement. How can someone belong to anyone? No wonder the situation of women in our society is pathetic (although it is improving now). Over a lakh cases of domestic violence were reported in india. What gives men the right of physically harming women? Our ancestors, apes, too do not show this tendency. How then did we evolve into this? In Devdutt Patnaik’s book myth = mithya , something of similar too was written (if my memory serves me well) in the Purans or Vedas, that women belong to men. I Totally fail to understand this. How could Yudhishthira have own Draupadi (as is mentioned by Karna)?
This reminds me of one of the lines from The Palace of Illusion. Although it is a fiction, but one thing is very aptly written there. So after Draupadi got married and forcefully had to have 5 husbands without her will, she was given a boon by someone (i think by her mother in law, Kunti) that whenever she would go to a new husband, she will be a virgin. To this, in the book, Draupadi thinks “is it a boon for me or for my husbands?” it is heartening to see that our society since time immemorial has not given equal rights to women and thanks to that condition today is worse.
I have underlined this line “Fate will catch up”. I guess this is more of Karma bites you in the back. It did with Duryodhan, with Krishna (after the Mahabharata) and it does with everyone. Our actions indeed lead us to have consequences. After reading this text and Myth = Mithya, I have become more careful of my actions. Yes maybe I am scared of bad consequences that I may face of my ill actions, but if that is helping me not to do bad to others, I am happy.
There is a point mentioned in the book that even i have pondered upon for sometime now. The story of Mahabharata has been trickled down to our generation and in this process there might be many reworks that had been done. I was always wondering that how could Draupadi’s sari get so long that Duryodhan was not able to disrobe her. The epic that has been recited to us says that Krishna used his powers to make her sari infinite. What if this was not the case. Only to treat Krishna as God, his powers have been mentioned here. What if Duryodhan had indeed disrobed Draupadi and that had led to the Mahabharata. This makes more sense to me. Maybe the toned down version of Krishna miraculously helping Draupadi is used so that we can tell Mahabharata to the children. This would help them believe in God that God is there to help and protect you. What if this didn’t actually happen? Let me know your views on this.

message 17: by Ankit (new)

Ankit Goyal | 3 comments Hey everyone . I am new to GR and would like to BR too . I am open to most new books , so anyone who is intetested can please message me with a book of their choice . Thanks n cheers

message 18: by Meera (new)

Meera | 4365 comments Lata Vipul...have u made a Br thread..?

message 19: by Vipul (new)

Vipul Murarka (vipulmurarka) | 23 comments Lata wrote: "Vipul, the thought that the original Mahabharata might have actually featured Dushashna disrobing Draupadi never occurred to me. You may well be right that, like the Bible and many other religious ..."
Will be waiting for your thoughts on next chapter. I may upload mine tonight or tomorrow.

message 20: by Vipul (new)

Vipul Murarka (vipulmurarka) | 23 comments Meera wrote: "Lata Vipul...have u made a Br thread..?"

Hi Meera
both Lata and I are new to Goodreads and hence we didnt know how to create the BR Thread.

message 21: by Meera (new)

Meera | 4365 comments You can make a thread in this folder itself...each BR pair shud have a thread....so they can discuss the books and others can join ur discussion ....:)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.