Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > March 2016 Group Read-The Girl With All the Gifts

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Char (new)

Char  | 13649 comments Mod
Here is a place to discuss our group read winner for March! Please use spoiler tags as necessary and enjoy!

message 2: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Picked up my copy from the library yesterday.

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 186 comments On my long-overdue to review list:)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments I read this book awhile back and loved it. I hope I can pop in and see what everyone thinks as they read it :-)

message 5: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10648 comments Mod
I listened to the audiobook not that long ago (or so it seems) so i'll be skipping this one. it's awesome and I hope you all enjoy it!

message 6: by VanillaSky (new)

VanillaSky | 31 comments The book is truly amazing. The Girl with All the Gifts and This Year's Class Picture have turned upside down my vision of the zombie genre. I envy you guys, for you can read it in the first time :)

message 7: by Cammy (new)

Cammy | 9 comments i just finished this book. Great read.

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 127 comments I started listening to the audio version yesterday. So far, so good. I'm not super keen on zombies, though.

message 9: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 408 comments I read this book at the end of last year and loved it! I hope you all enjoy it.

message 10: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2759 comments Mod
I have always heard great things about it I'll try to read along.

message 11: by David (new)

David Watkins | 29 comments Reading it now and not far in. I think it would have been better if I hadn't known it was zombies before I started reading.

message 12: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 33 comments I'm just starting chapter 9. So far this book is amazing! What the heck is going on?!?!

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5686 comments Mod
I ordered a copy from the library last week. Should be in by tomorrow or Tuesday!! :)

message 14: by Eliot (new)

Eliot Baker | 25 comments Cool, I've been looking for a nudge to crack open this title.

message 15: by Alex (last edited Feb 28, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Alex Shelby (jynxmecrazie) I'm not typically into zombies (in fact, I had no idea this was about zombies when I first started it), but I read this book last year and really enjoyed it! Have fun. :-)

message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia This book is horrifying on many levels- I can't wait until you get a little further into it. The characters are so wonderful. Even the most evil and most despicable have such fire and passion that although you hate them, you understand them. This is one of my top ten all time best. I hope you love it too.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments I've had this one on my Kindle for a while - glad to have an excuse to finally get around to reading it! I'll be starting it tomorrow.

message 18: by Char (new)

Char  | 13649 comments Mod
I listened to this one on audio and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments I'm so glad so many people have read and loved it like I did. I hope everyone else enjoys it :-)

message 20: by Kasia (new)

Just got a copy of this book, should arrive by Tuesday.

PrinzessBookDragon | 12 comments gonna give this one a shot as soon as i can get it on my kindle app from the library. i'm on the hold list. :( thanks for the heads up on it being about zombies. i'm not a fan but open to giving it a try!

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael J. (michaeljclarke) | 232 comments Great choices. I've got three books to read in front of these (library copies) so I'm going to hurry up and get going. Can't wait to start and join the group discussions.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 5 comments Wonderful choice. I really enjoyed this book. Hope those who are new to it will as well.

message 24: by Monika (new)

Monika Murray | 18 comments I'm really excited for this book and can't wait to get my copy... hopefully within few days. I actually had no idea this was about zombies but I happen to love zombie stories so all is good for me. :)

message 25: by Allan James (new)

Allan James Welsh (allanjw) | 2 comments copy on order - can't wait to read this!

message 26: by Jean (new)

Jean | 2 comments I've read this one some time ago, can't wait to see what y'all think about it. I was greatly surprised by how much I like the evil characters...

message 27: by Hudson (new)

Hudson (bostonrich) | 47 comments Loved this book and gave it 5 enthusiastic stars, enjoy!

message 28: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 33 comments I'm currently at chapter 20 right now and things are getting real.

I'm enjoying that the story is told from several different perspectives, but find the term "hungries" annoying. I appreciate the author trying for something new and creative. It just feels really childish. I wonder if there would have been a different term she could have used.

message 29: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments It sounds incredibly close to the video game The Last of Us. Dunno if I'll be able to help comparing the two as I read this.

message 30: by Josen (new)

Josen (josens) | 71 comments Oh wow zombies? That's great! I had no clue that's what this story was about. I was so disappointed tho' because I checked with my library online last week and it said it was in. Then I went there and it was checked out! :( I know.....I should've put it on hold. Siiiigghh

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments Started in on this yesterday. I have to admit, I initially found the writing style a little...I don't know...fairy tale-ish? A bit too young-reader-ish? I get why it's done that way, given Melanie's POV, but now that the story is opening up to other character's POV, I'm having an easier time with flow. I'm definitley curious to see where it's heading, but also wish I hadn't known it was a zombie book ahead of time. Except for that small detail, I'm going in pretty blindly.

I'm only about 80 pages in, and it's not bad so far. Like Shaun, The Last of Us was one of the first things to come to mind during Carey's description of the pathogen.

message 32: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 127 comments Michael wrote: "Started in on this yesterday. I have to admit, I initially found the writing style a little...I don't know...fairy tale-ish? A bit too young-reader-ish? I get why it's done that way, given Melanie'..."

The floodgates pretty much burst open at around page 100.

message 33: by Richard (new)

Richard Massey (richardtheref) | -8 comments Have had this on my TBR list for a year or so. Will get to it this weekend when I finish the one I am reading now.

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (queenjaneapproximately) | 6 comments So I'll be honest, I started this one a little early but I was in Vegas for the weekend and didn't get any reading done. Just started Chapter 39.
(view spoiler) But I am really enjoying it so far. Like others have mentioned, I told my fiance that its a fungus and he compared it to the Last of Us, but I've never played.

message 35: by T. (new)

T. (tblakebraddy) | 52 comments I'm waiting on this one from the library. Hope to dig into it pretty soon. Can't wait!

message 36: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 33 comments Just finished. This book was AWESOME! And that ending, oh my! I am so happy this book was the monthly read!

message 37: by Kasia (new)

Got my copy, interesting to see it compared to The Last of Us, can't wait to dig in.

message 38: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 33 comments Kasia wrote: "Got my copy, interesting to see it compared to The Last of Us, can't wait to dig in."

I really didn't compare it to TLOU until I started seeing people mention it. I could loosely see them being similar, but different at the same time. I'm not sure how to explain it. I hope you see what I'm talking (but not at the same time) about.

message 39: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Up to chapter thirteen. I like how the author is portraying his characters as being blinded either by too much empathy or too little of it. Makes them more complicated, and (as a result) more interesting.

message 40: by Jia (new)

Jia Zhu | 8 comments Just started the audiobook, very interesting perspective!

message 41: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Carey (janeefficiency) I read this some time ago, and really loved it. Especially the way the different character perspectives were done, and the ending, of course. I might re-read the last third or so just to refresh my memory of the details.

I specifically liked how each perspective was handled, and what that meant for the group as a whole. Each character approaches the situations from a different point of view, and often some will be in opposition, and yet each one will make their decisions in logical ways with the best/most info they have. And I wound up agreeing (sometimes) with each side, thinking that I might do the same if it were me in that position, even though what Caldwell concludes is so different from what Sarge concludes. They really made the best decision with what each of them had, and yet there still was conflict. I just think Carey did the group dynamics well, and didn't just have his characters making stupid choices constantly to get them from point A to point B.

I hope all that made sense, and again it's been a while since I read it, so I my memory might be a bit fuzzy... But I remember thinking this while I read and finished it, and it was refreshing to not have just a group of people making stupid decision after stupid decision for no reason.

message 42: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 127 comments Natalie wrote: 'I hope all that made sense, and again it's been a while since I read it, so I my memory might be a bit fuzzy..."

It does. I hadn't thought much about the alternating viewpoints but that does add a lot to the story.

message 43: by Walter (last edited Mar 02, 2016 05:46PM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Natalie wrote: "I read this some time ago, and really loved it. Especially the way the different character perspectives were done, and the ending, of course. I might re-read the last third or so just to refresh my..."

This is the hallmark of a good story for me, one in which you get inside the heads of the various characters and understand, for good or for bad, why they think as they do and make the choices they make. Simplistic, two-dimensional characters rarely surprise readers and, as a result, often fail to engage them either.

message 44: by Jeremie (new)

Jeremie | 22 comments Just arrived from the library, can't wait!

message 45: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 862 comments Jeremie wrote: "Just arrived from the library, can't wait!"

Still waiting for my copy. Hope someone's still reading when I start.

message 46: by Amy BP (new)

Amy BP (idiosyncratic_unicorn) | 7 comments Going to see if my library has this today (:

message 47: by David (new)

David Watkins | 29 comments This ratchets up about 300 notches in one go at around the chapter 15 mark. Excellent book so far, really enjoying it - can also see the comparison to TLOU, but don't mind the phrase 'hungries'. The other word is so overdone after all.

message 48: by Josen (new)

Josen (josens) | 71 comments Katy wrote: "Jeremie wrote: "Just arrived from the library, can't wait!"

Still waiting for my copy. Hope someone's still reading when I start."

I know what you mean. I checked online, my library had it, when I went to get it, it was checked out. :( Now I have to wait a while so I'm hoping someone's still reading it when I start too. Lol!

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Shaun wrote: "It sounds incredibly close to the video game The Last of Us. Dunno if I'll be able to help comparing the two as I read this."

I haven't read the book yet, but I have played The Last of Us. Based on the description of the book, I'm curious how you think the two are similar. Because the game scared the s**t out of me (lol), and the book (from description and review) seems fairly tame to me.
Your comment has actually made me want to read it more.

message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments I'm in the home stretch now, only about 100 pages left. This has been a solid read; curious to see how it ends. Melanie's POV has really grown on me and it's been fun reading her development as a character and the way the cast relates to her. Good stuff.

« previous 1 3