Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > Buddy Read of Savage Species!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Char (last edited Mar 11, 2016 06:37AM) (new)

Char  | 13908 comments Mod
We are planning to start a buddy read of Savage Species by Jonathan Janz on March 14th! All are welcome! So far it's:

Michael
Thomas
Char
Kimberly
Quentin
Nickronomicon

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5854 comments Mod
I'm in for a re-read!!! :D

message 3: by Char (new)

Kimberly wrote: "I'm in for a re-read!!! :D"

Added! Welcome! :)

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments Awesome, Kim! Glad to hear!

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Ok, I think I'm going to have to jump in here... :-)

message 6: by Char (new)

Robert wrote: "Ok, I think I'm going to have to jump in here... :-)"

I've added you Robert! As always, it's good to see you.

message 7: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 155 comments I've been meaning to read this one, I'll hop in if that's okay.

message 8: by Char (new)

Quentin wrote: "I've been meaning to read this one, I'll hop in if that's okay."

Absolutely, welcome Quentin!

message 9: by Char (new)

We have just over a week to go before we get going with this. I'm excited! :)

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Woot! I read Exorcist Road this week, and I'm even more excited now. So far I've read only that and Wolf Land of Jonathan's work, and both were 5-star reads. Glad I bit the bullet and signed up for his line of Thunderstorm releases! :-)

message 11: by Char (new)

Robert wrote: "Woot! I read Exorcist Road this week, and I'm even more excited now. So far I've read only that and Wolf Land of Jonathan's work, and both were 5-star reads. Glad I bit the bullet and signed up for..."

That looks to be an awesome line of books, doesn't it?

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Charlene wrote: "That looks to be an awesome line of books, doesn't it? "

It really does. I've been accumulating Mike McBride's Thunderstorm releases lately, and they're beautiful.

message 13: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 156 comments I became a fan after our Group Read of Wolf Land. Count me in on this too!

message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Can't wait!

message 15: by Char (new)

Nickronomicon wrote: "I became a fan after our Group Read of Wolf Land. Count me in on this too!"

Cool! Welcome, Nickronomicon!

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments Just a few more days to go! I guess I'm going to have to look into saving for some of Jonathan's Thunderstorm books soon; sounds like they'll make for some wicked hardcovers.

message 17: by Char (new)

Yeah, that line of books looks REALLY nice.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments I'm fairly certain my wallet is crying blood.

message 19: by Char (new)

I know because now there are these nice McCammon's coming out too. These publishers are freaking KILLING me.

message 20: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 473 comments I would like to participate. I was reading the third book already actually, but I don't have my e-reader anymore :( I have to wait til the 5th of April

message 21: by Kimberly (new)

All ready to start next week!! :D

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments Yup! Just clearing through an ARC of Hunter Shea's newest novella and then I'll be all set. :)

message 23: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Unfortunately, I'm going to have to bail. :-( My proofreading backlog has exploded, and I don't see it being cleared in time. I'm still hoping to read this one soon, then I'll come read the thread, at least. Sorry to flake out on you!

message 24: by Char (new)

Robert wrote: "Unfortunately, I'm going to have to bail. :-( My proofreading backlog has exploded, and I don't see it being cleared in time. I'm still hoping to read this one soon, then I'll come read the thread,..."

Oh no, Robert! I'm sorry that we're losing you. :(

message 25: by Char (new)

Monica wrote: "I would like to participate. I was reading the third book already actually, but I don't have my e-reader anymore :( I have to wait til the 5th of April"

Well, that sucks Monica. :(
Is using the Kindle app for your phone or PC a possibility?

message 26: by Char (new)

I might be a little late starting as I just started Honky Tonk Samurai.

message 27: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 473 comments Charlene wrote: "Monica wrote: "I would like to participate. I was reading the third book already actually, but I don't have my e-reader anymore :( I have to wait til the 5th of April"

Well, that sucks Monica. :(
..."

I could use the pc but I don't like reading on that :(

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments I might dive into Hap & Leonard after Savage Species. I'm still planning on starting Monday, so we'll see what happens.

Robert - shame to lose you, but totally understandable. You're definitely not flaking out on us!

message 29: by Char (new)

Monica wrote: "Charlene wrote: "Monica wrote: "I would like to participate. I was reading the third book already actually, but I don't have my e-reader anymore :( I have to wait til the 5th of April"

Well, that ..."

I understand. I don't like that either.

message 30: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 156 comments Well I usually have too much life-stuff get in the way of my reading so I started already so I wouldn't get behind!

BTW just discovered Lansdale myself and I think Hap & Leonard is next up for me too.

message 31: by Char (new)

Nickronomicon wrote: "Well I usually have too much life-stuff get in the way of my reading so I started already so I wouldn't get behind!

BTW just discovered Lansdale myself and I think Hap & Leonard is next up for me ..."

Nice! :)

message 32: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Stroemquist (poorlonesomecowboy) 12 %

Started out great, I don't know why I've been holding this off for so long!? Most impressed with Janz' character building - he makes bringing them to life seem like the easiest thing.

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments Thomas wrote: "12 %

Started out great, I don't know why I've been holding this off for so long!? Most impressed with Janz' character building - he makes bringing them to life seem like the easiest thing."

Right there with you, Thomas. I'm definitely making it a goal to read more of Janz's books this year.

I'm 9% through, and agree with the character building. So much work put into such little space and it all seems so effortless.

(view spoiler) Janz really knows how to pull off this sort of condensed story-telling, but very cleanly pulls you in a specific direction on who to root for and against. Brilliant stuff.

That first chapter was a great bit of horror, too. Can't wait to see what comes next!

message 34: by Char (last edited Mar 14, 2016 06:59AM) (new)

Thomas wrote: "12 %

Started out great, I don't know why I've been holding this off for so long!? Most impressed with Janz' character building - he makes bringing them to life seem like the easiest thing."

I'm not sure why I've waited so long either. I mean, I've purchased the books, based on the reviews of so many of my friends, but then I didn't make any time to read them.

I'm going to be a wee bit behind starting this, I just need to finish this Hap and Leonard, and then I'll be back. :)

message 35: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments Ditto. I've bought several of his titles based on word of mouth alone, and have a few more sitting in my wish list. I'm think I'll try to make 2016 my year of finally getting to many long neglected authors (Lansdale and Richard Laymon among them, and Janz for sure).

message 36: by Char (last edited Mar 14, 2016 07:13AM) (new)

Michael wrote: "Ditto. I've bought several of his titles based on word of mouth alone, and have a few more sitting in my wish list. I'm think I'll try to make 2016 my year of finally getting to many long neglected..."

I have officially instituted my Year of Lansdale challenge, which is to read on average of at least 1 Lansdale book per month.
I probably won't make it official, but I would like to read a Janz every two months this year, if I can.

We can do another buddy read for next month if you guys want to? Jonathan certainly has plenty of books to choose from. We could do a Lansdale read instead also?

message 37: by Kimberly (new)

I'll be a little behind, as well....bad week with the youngest--still testing :(.

message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments Kimberly wrote: "I'll be a little behind, as well....bad week with the youngest--still testing :(."

Uh oh. Hope everything checks out OK. Good luck, Kim!

message 39: by Char (new)

Hope everything is okay, Kim.

message 40: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments Charlene wrote: "Michael wrote: "Ditto. I've bought several of his titles based on word of mouth alone, and have a few more sitting in my wish list. I'm think I'll try to make 2016 my year of finally getting to man..."

I'd be game for either. My Lansdale pile is significantly smaller and I'm not exactly looking for yet another excuse to buy more books, though. :) But if my library has it, I'm down!

message 41: by Char (last edited Mar 14, 2016 10:47AM) (new)

I was thinking of reading The Bottoms or The Drive-In next month. Would you be down for either of those?

Or tell me what you have, and I will see if I have one of those.

I can't afford to buy many more books in the near future either.

message 42: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 156 comments I just finished reading The Bottoms and it was excellent. My first Lansdale. Reminded me a lot of McCammon's Boy's Life.

What's happened to our thread......? haha

message 43: by Char (new)

No worries! Sometimes conversation wanders a bit. (Boy's Life is one of my top 3 books of ALL TIME, but I'll stop here.)

Whenever you have something you want to say about Savage Species, please do. Just please use spoiler tags for those of us who are running a bit behind. :)

message 44: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments Charlene wrote: "I was thinking of reading The Bottoms or The Drive-In next month. Would you be down for either of those?

Or tell me what you have, and I will see if I have one of thos..."

Oooh! The Drive-In! I was actually thinking of recommending that for the monthly read next go-round.

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments Nickronomicon wrote: "I just finished reading The Bottoms and it was excellent. My first Lansdale. Reminded me a lot of McCammon's Boy's Life.

What's happened to our thread......? haha"

You started ahead of us, Nick, so we derailed things to throw you off. ;)

How far into Savage Species are you now? Early thoughts?

I just got up to Chapter 9 and (view spoiler) has left me gutted.

message 46: by Char (new)

Michael wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I was thinking of reading The Bottoms or The Drive-In next month. Would you be down for either of those?

Or tell me what you have, and I will see if I..."

Please go ahead and nominate it for the group read then. If it doesn't place, we can go ahead and set up a buddy read instead. :)

message 47: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 155 comments One thing Janz is great at is creating human characters you dislike more than the monsters! (view spoiler)

Im at Ch. 9 as well, and really liking this one.

As far as Lansdale goes, I'm about to read the Drive In myself, so I'd vote for it in a group read most likely, or join in a buddy read if someone sets one up.

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 988 comments Quentin wrote: "One thing Janz is great at is creating human characters you dislike more than the monsters! [spoilers removed]

Im at Ch. 9 as well, and really liking this one.

As far as Lansdale goes, I'm about..."

Just finished Part I and holy crap! I feel like I've been on a roller coaster. The action scenes are beautifully crafted and rapid-fire. Just wait, Quentin; you ain't seen nothing yet. :)

message 49: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I've read a lot of Lansdale's older work, but have fallen somewhat behind in reading his more recent books. If you do a buddy read next month of either one of his books or another of Jonathan's, hopefully I'll have the time then! I'm probably going to hold off on nominating or voting for group reads until I know I'll have time to participate again...

message 50: by Quentin (last edited Mar 15, 2016 08:30AM) (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 155 comments Note to self: Never attend an outdoor party in a Janz novel. Has anyone else read Wolfand yet? If so...(view spoiler)

« previous 1 3