In our opinion... discussion

Debates > Abortion?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

Alyssa (castleofglass) | 2507 comments Mod
Do you think it should be legal?

message 2: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

I agree with you but I want to hear why you think it shouldn't be legal?

message 3: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

I think that a baby is a life from the moment it is conceived, so abortion is murder. And for what? So the Mother doesn't have to deal with the inconvenience of pregnancy and giving birth? She made the choices that got her pregnant. Unless it was rape, and that's something different.

message 4: by Liza (last edited Apr 30, 2014 12:17PM) (new)

Liza Lorenz (lizalorenz) | 14 comments Okey dokey, Maddie. You said let's do this, so I will oblige to the best of my ability. :)

I am pro-choice. First, one cannot murder something or someone that is not alive. An entity that cannot survive on its own is not alive. Until a fetus is viable (meaning able to survive without living inside the mother or other extraordinary measures), then in my opinion, it is not alive.

Secondly, debating whether it is murder or not really does not get us anywhere. The facts of the situation are that women have been having abortions forever, and we are not going to stop it by making it illegal. We are only going to drive it back underground, thereby creating a breeding ground for botched abortions, butchers, and death.

Having said this, I am not a lover of abortions, but it's time for pragmatism rather than passion on both sides. I think we need to quit wasting our time arguing over whether abortion is right or wrong and deal in reality. Abortions are. Plain and simple. And they are not going to go away based on legislation. Prohibition didn't stop people drinking, and the war on drugs is abysmal. Some things need to be dealt with by raising awareness rather than by being banned outright, and I think abortion is one.

So, for my money, I'd rather put my time and energy in education and birth control assistance so we can prevent as many abortions as possible. It makes more sense to me than blowing in the wind thinking we will stop them altogether with laws.

message 5: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

True, but I think your definition of life is flawed.
If something is not alive unless it can survive on its own, then everyone who is on life support is "not alive".
How does that make sense?

message 6: by Liza (new)

Liza Lorenz (lizalorenz) | 14 comments Alyssa wrote: "True, but I think your definition of life is flawed.
If something is not alive unless it can survive on its own, then everyone who is on life support is "not alive".
How does that make sense?"

Life support to save someone who has already been born and survived on its own is one thing. Calling a fetus that hasn't even formed its organs yet alive is completely another.

Additionally, life support is voluntary, not mandatory. I can accept it or not. A competent person can accept life support or not. I can make the decision for a next of kin or not when the person isn't able to do so.

So, if this is the same as life support, and the organism cannot decide on its own, a woman should be able to decide whether she wants to provide life support.

message 7: by Liza (last edited May 01, 2014 01:34AM) (new)

Liza Lorenz (lizalorenz) | 14 comments Maddie wrote: "Okay this is one of the hardest topics for my to form an opinion on.
I may even seem like I am switching my opinions but stay with me:

To bring up the topic of it's not alive is to bring up the to..."

I think taking responsibility is a very personal thing and can have many faces. I also think one's particular opinion of what responsibility looks like cannot be forced on another.

Taking responsibility can mean having the baby and keeping it. It can mean having the baby and giving it up for adoption. And, I would argue that abortion is also taking responsibility. It's taking responsibility for one's life and one's soul. A woman having an abortion is between her and her God or Source. If there is a cosmic price to pay for that decision, she is the one to bear it...no one else. In effect, she takes the ultimate responsibility.

Forcing a woman to have a child and take care of it to me is irresponsible. A woman who does not want a child and keeps it, breeds and gives this world nothing but another dysfunctional human being who suffers and causes others suffering in the long run.

Again, my main point though is that none of this matters. Abortion has always been and still is. It doesn't always have to be. But banning it is not the way to stop it in my opinion. As you say, awareness is. Education, birth control assistance...those are the ways to stop it.

message 8: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Bradshaw (sebastian-bach) | 72 comments I think as a whole im pro choice and this why. There are lots of cases were like for say rape. Or the mom will for sure die during child birth.

message 9: by Wells Margo (new)

Wells Margo (pearapple) | 30 comments Yes! I don't think anyone actually thinks about the mother, when they are deciding their opinion. The ending of that sentence ended weird, don't know how else to say it.

Minda~Quenn {Somehow I found a way to get lost in you} I think that it should be legalized, but only with extreme limitations. All should be early-term and likely to cause death or rape related. Also, there should be a limit of one abortion per woman. Abortion should never be allowed to be used as a back-up for of birth control.

message 11: by Wells Margo (last edited May 21, 2014 02:58PM) (new)

Wells Margo (pearapple) | 30 comments All legal abortions are early-term in America.

message 12: by Audrey (last edited Jun 25, 2014 04:22PM) (new)

Audrey (audreybooklover) I personally think that they should be illegal. I mean imagine that child could have lived a full life. If you don't want the kid try not to get pregnant. Or have the kid and put them up for adoption.

Minda~Quenn {Somehow I found a way to get lost in you} Briar wrote: "I personally think that they should be illegal. I mean imagine that child could have lived a full life. If you don't want the kid try not to get pregnant. Or have the kid and put them up for adoption."

But what if you were raped and you have a medical condition that would cause you severe harm to have a child maybe due to the rape????

message 14: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) Personally, I think that abortion is murder. However, that is partially due to my religious beliefs, so when it comes to the legal side of things, I think it should be legal because for many a fetus is not considered truly alive until it has formed into a baby.

message 15: by Marie -The Reading Otter (last edited Apr 02, 2015 01:59PM) (new)

Marie -The Reading Otter (thereadingotter) | 374 comments I think they should be legal, that way if someone wants one it can be done safely. They used to be illegal, and women still got them from some guy in a dingy apartment with a dirty bicycle spoke or wire coat hanger. It sounds horrible to put it that way, but that's what happened.

I think there should be a limit on when a woman can get one, like not after the first trimester, unless something is wrong with the pregnancy and death will occur for either the mother or the child.

I know some people will argue about putting the kid up for adoption instead, but a lot of kids never get adopted and you can't guarantee that the child will have a good life. Also a lot of people are just not meant to be parents, and if they make a dumb choice or the condom broke, getting an abortion is their way of being responsible.