Gail Carriger Fan Group discussion

Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
This topic is about Sorcery & Cecelia
Coop de Book Group > March 2016: Sorcery & Cecelia by Patricia C. Wrede & Caroline Stevermer

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Skye (Skye's Scribblings) (last edited Mar 30, 2016 10:04AM) (new)

Skye (Skye's Scribblings) | 241 comments Mod
Gail's March 2016 pick is Sorcery & Cecelia by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer! For more information about the book, click the cover above.

So let's discuss! Please note the page or chapter you're on at the start of your comment so if someone isn't that far yet they can avoid possible spoilers - thank you! :)

For Gail's review, see her blog post here!

message 2: by Tigerlille (new)

Tigerlille | 4 comments I read Sorcery & Cecelia a few weeks ago, and found it charming and great fun; am reading the 2nd book in the series, about the wedding grand tour of Europe, but only off and on. It just doesn't have the vitality and sparkle of Sorcery, perhaps because it does not appear to have been written using the letter writing game. I am so glad that I read Sorcery, because there are so many other books by Patricia Wrede to explore. She is a new author for me, and after reading The Raven's Ring, which I found to be very flat, I wouldn't have been inclined to read anything by her again, had Gail not suggested Sorcery, and had another reader not commented that The Raven's Ring was written early in her career, and implied that it was not necessarily typical of her mature writing. I hope that other group members are reading Sorcery, and finding it as amusing as I did. I just wish I had someone to play the letter writing game with!

Allie | 57 comments Finished

I adored the first book in this series. I loved the story telling through letters aka Persona Letters. It made it quite a fun read.

I agree with Tigerlille very amusing.

Nicqui | 125 comments I read Sorcery and loved it. I loved the Letter Game format and the further backstory for how the story developed. I loved the additions of magic without going too far down the supernatural rabbit hole. I loved the characters, Cecy, Kate, James and Thomas. I agree with @Tigerlille, I'm reading the second book in the series now and while it is entertaining, it just doesn't have the same sparkle as Sorcery did. Good stories though. I look forward to reading the third book as well, just to round out the lives of these two couples.