Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Villette by Charlotte Bronte-DNF

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) I have read this complaint about this book many times.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2748 comments I just bought an audio version of this book when audible had a 2 for 1 sale. I wonder what they will do about the french. I've no doubt Davina Porter speaks French.
Jane Eyre has long sections of French. I've read that book many times and I always just skipped them. But the last time I looked at the book, I had a kindle copy and I think the translation was as easy a click. It turned out, I hadn't missed much.

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments I really liked Villette. Named my dog after Lucy.

message 4: by annapi (last edited Feb 28, 2016 02:34PM) (new)

annapi | 4904 comments Victorian Reader wrote: "Now, I realize life is to short to waste on a book I know I will struggle with just to say I read it."

I wholeheartedly agree! I used to force myself to finish a book. Then as I got older I realized there would never be enough time to finish reading all the books I want to read, so I stopped wasting time with books I don't enjoy.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Victorian Reader wrote: "Now, I realize life is to short to waste on a book I know I will struggle with just to say I read it. "

Well said! Reading a book so you can say you have read it is the entirely wrong reason for reading. I abandon books perhaps too readily because they just aren't for me. Still, there are books I'm willing to struggle with a bit, because I know I will be a better person or have greater understanding if I do. It's a balancing act, and not the same for every person nor every book.