Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > BotM 2016 - April Suggestions [A Mystery]

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaz (last edited Apr 30, 2016 01:22AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments In February, we had our 1st Book of the Month, which was a romance (more info about the books of the month can be found in the introduction post). Our second book will be read during the month of April, with the overall theme being mystery.

If you have a mystery you'd like to read with the group, it's time to suggest it. If you have no idea, check the suggestions, maybe you'll be interested in one (if it's the case, second it, so it will enter the poll).

Rules:
- One suggestion per user
- A book will enter the poll once someone "seconds" the book
- Seconding a book counts as your suggestion
- Suggestions will remain open for one week or as soon as 5-6 books have been seconded

Poll Entries:
And Then There Were None
Little Black Lies
Rebecca
The Cuckoo's Calling
In the Woods
Who Censored Roger Rabbit?

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments It's not easy to find a suggestion that I think would appeal to people and that not too many of you have read. Plus, I wanted to suggest a book already in my challenge, as I don't think I'll be able to read them all if I keep adding some. So I'm going with The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood.

message 3: by Silvia (new)

message 4: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
My suggestion is Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton :)

message 5: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 549 comments I'm sure many have read it, but I haven't (plus it can fit into many categories) so I nominate Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

message 6: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments My suggestion is In the Woods
In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French

I haven't read it yet, but I have a lot of friends who have been recommending it.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2704 comments This may be a little out there, but I was thinking And Then There Were None. I've noticed it on quite a few people's lists for a variety of challenges, and it can easily fit quite a few categories (ie. author you should have read by now, a crime story, and I believe it's on the top 100 mystery list).

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments I'd like to suggest The Elephant Tree
The Elephant Tree by R.D. Ronald

It looks interesting and is only 260 pages long so it shouldn't be too difficult to slot into existing challenges. It's also a stand alone novel from what I can tell, so it doesn't start a new series for those of us who are trying to finish up the series they are reading.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments I'd like to second And Then There Were None. I've been wanting to read it for some time now.

message 10: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaebrut14) | 1 comments I second Little Black Lies! That sounds wonderful and I'll be adding it to my list regardless. Good one, Laura! ☺️

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 651 comments What about, not as much a classic definition of mystery, but it's on the lists! Rebecca

I'm reading it for the week with a book with a name in the title, but it works for lots and lots of categories.

message 12: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Added And Then There Were None and Little Black Lies as poll entries.

message 13: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) I'm going to suggest Who Censored Roger Rabbit?. "Mystery" has always been a broad genre for me since I include most detective and crime novels :)

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I second the cuckoo's calling

message 15: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 498 comments Pamela wrote: "What about, not as much a classic definition of mystery, but it's on the lists! Rebecca

I'm reading it for the week with a book with a name in the title, but it works for lots and ..."

I second Rebecca.

message 16: by Zaz (last edited Feb 29, 2016 06:21AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Added Rebecca and The Cuckoo's Calling as poll entries.

Edit: +In the Woods

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2300 comments I second In the Woods.

message 18: by Saara (new)

Saara (lamiena) | 86 comments Perhaps True Blue? It's on my list anyway, and right now it's the first mystery I could think of (since it's on the shelf almost immediately to my right).

message 19: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments My suggestion is The 50/50 Killer by Steve Mosby.
The only mystery I have on my list.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 547 comments I second Who Censored Roger Rabbit? Looks like an interesting read

message 23: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

We now have 6 entries so the suggestions are closed :)

- And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
- Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
- The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
- In the Woods by Tana French
- Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary K. Wolf

Keep a lookout for the poll! (coming soon)

message 24: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 498 comments Thank you, mods! :)

message 25: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

The poll is available!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Make sure you go vote through the link (not comment in this thread)!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.