Historical Fiction discussion

books to read! > Looking for recommendations

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charmain (new)

Charmain Mitchell | 1 comments Hi

I'm stuck trying to find a good series to read at the moment. I love medieval mystery fiction along the lines of Paul Doherty, Kate Sedley, Bernard Knight and Susanna Gregory.

Does anyone have any recommendations for similar?

Thanks

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom Williams | 5 comments Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael stories.

Lisa *OwlBeSatReading* (owlbesatreading) | 4 comments I've just added the first few of the series to my to-read shelf. I too was looking for something historical, but a bit different and found a lot of excellent reviews and many 5 star ratings for them. I look forward to finding them in my local charity bookshop ;)

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Have you read The Hangman's Daughter et al by Oliver Pötzsch? Takes place in Bavaria in 1660 and the protagonist is the village hangman. Potzsch's series is one my favorites and quite different from anything else out there that I've found.

message 5: by Sian (new)

Sian Hutchinson (sianhutchinson) | 1 comments I reccomend Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett !!! I have never failed to not reccomend this book and series to anyone who has a thirst for Historical fiction. This series is set in twelfth century England :)

message 6: by Pat (new)

Pat | 10 comments Carol wrote: "Have you read The Hangman's Daughter et al by Oliver Pötzsch? Takes place in Bavaria in 1660 and the protagonist is the village hangman. Potzsch's series is one my f..."

This is a good series.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth Sponzilli | 1 comments Ken Follett's follow up book to Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, is just as Good!!!

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Sian wrote: "I reccomend Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett !!! I have never failed to not reccomend this book and series to anyone who has a thirst for Historical fiction. This series is set in twelfth centur..."

I agree. Great book. Very engaging.

message 9: by Laureen (new)

Laureen (laureenandersonswfcomau) | 7 comments I would like some recommendations for historical fiction based in Siberia.

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Marsch (cindyrinamanmarsch) | 35 comments Laureen wrote: "I would like some recommendations for historical fiction based in Siberia."

How about Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky , which has a portion set in Siberia.

The Long Walk The True Story of a Trek to Freedom by Slavomir Rawicz which is supposed to be a true story but some say it's fiction, and it definitely has fictional (or delusional?) elements.

My first introduction to life in Siberia was as a teen with The Endless Steppe Growing Up in Siberia by Esther Hautzig . It really stuck with me.