Victorian-style Dickens Readalong - Bleak House #dickensalong discussion

General & Logistics > What shall we read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Lumsden (katie-booksandthings) | 113 comments Mod
My preferences/suggestions are Our Mutual Friend, Little Dorrit or David Copperfield. Please share your thoughts on this below :)

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (medievalgirl7) This is such a cool idea - I like the idea of Our Mutual Friend or Little Dorrit :D

message 3: by Verity (new)

Verity (veritycw) I really like the idea of this group! I'd really like to give Dickens another go, as I was really put off him at school. Can you recommend a (relatively) easy read to start off with?

message 4: by Pers (new)

Pers Verity wrote: "I really like the idea of this group! I'd really like to give Dickens another go, as I was really put off him at school. Can you recommend a (relatively) easy read to start off with?"

A Christmas Carol or Oliver Twist are good Dickens stories to start with.

Personally I'd vote for Twist, or Bleak House, or Our Mutual Friend - but then I'm totally biased by how much I love all 3!

message 5: by Katie (new)

Thanks for all this feedback guys - it's so exciting to see lots of people keen to do some Dickens reading!

There's a poll in the group now so you can all vote for which Dickens you'd like to read.

Verity, I think A Christmas Carol is a great place to start if you haven't read it, and then David Copperfield, Great Expectations, Our Mutual Friend or Little Dorrit are the others I'd recommend starting with :)

Michele, I'm a massive fan of Bleak House too, but I feel it's not the easiest one to start with, which is why I might be hesitant to do it for a readalong. We'll see what everyone else says - I'm up for any Dickens novel really :)

message 6: by Verity (new)

Verity (veritycw) Fab, thanks. I've read A Christmas Carol, so I'll do a spot of research before I cast my vote!

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth Brown (bethsbooklogstl) | 1 comments Little Dorrit! :-)

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria I love this idea! :)
Little Dorrit or Our Mutual Friend

message 9: by Pers (new)

Pers Katie wrote: "Thanks for all this feedback guys - it's so exciting to see lots of people keen to do some Dickens reading!

There's a poll in the group now so you can all vote for which Dickens you'd like to read..."

Which was why I suggested starting with ACC or OT - both are much easier reads.

But Bleak House and Our Mutual Friend are Dickens' best books so should not be neglected...

message 10: by Katie (new)

Beth wrote: "Little Dorrit! :-)"

Make sure you vote on the poll :)

message 11: by Katie (new)

Maria wrote: "I love this idea! :)
Little Dorrit or Our Mutual Friend"

Make sure you vote on the poll :)

message 12: by Katie (last edited Feb 28, 2016 11:03AM) (new)

Michele wrote: "Which was why I suggested starting with ACC or OT - both are much easier reads.

But Bleak House and Our Mutual Friend are Dickens' best books so should not be neglected... "

Oliver Twist is by far my least favourite Dickens sadly, so I'd rather do another unless everyone is incredibly keen to read it!

I do love A Christmas Carol and agree that's a great place to start with Dickens, even if it's not really suited to a Victorian-style serialised readalong, being so short and having never been serialised at the time.

Our Mutual Friend is winning so far XD I too love Bleak House so much and would love to do a readalong of it. Maybe after a year or so of Our Mutual Friend, we can do Bleak House after!

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate Howe | 5 comments This is sooo fabulous! I love the idea of slowly soaking in a classic. Looking forward to it!

message 14: by Liz (new)

Liz | 7 comments This is so exciting! Where can the poll be found? I'm a bit Goodreads group challenged!

message 15: by Katie (new)

Liz wrote: "This is so exciting! Where can the poll be found? I'm a bit Goodreads group challenged!"

Just on the home page. Scroll down to the bottom here and you can vote: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina What a great idea! Thanks for inviting me! I haven't read Our Mutual Friend and would really love to :)

message 17: by Claire (new)

Claire Jones | 4 comments Hi, thanks for inviting me to join the group. I voted for Little Dorrit, but am excited to read whatever comes on top as I have very little experience with Dickens!

message 18: by Richard (new)

Richard Milton (richardmilton) This is a great idea. I've read all the candidates and enjoyed them all. Can I enter a big plea for Great Expectations. I feel it is by far his finest work and had a psychological depth that isn't present in all his books. If you haven't read it, you have one of the great reading treats of your life in store - and I envy you. :-)

message 19: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Grant (margaretgrantnovelistcom) What fun! 'Our Mutual Friend' is my first preference.

message 20: by Katie (new)

Richard wrote: "This is a great idea. I've read all the candidates and enjoyed them all. Can I enter a big plea for Great Expectations. I feel it is by far his finest work and had a psychological depth that isn't ..."

Ah, I do indeed love Great Expectations, and have read it many times! Looks like Our Mutual Friend is winning so far though on the poll, possibly just as I talk about it so much! Hopefully this group can carry on and do more Victorian-style Dickens readalongs in the future, regardless of what we end up reading this time :)

message 21: by Pam (new)

Pam Robertson | 3 comments What a great idea. I've voted for Our Mutual Friend but happy with whatever you decide.

message 22: by Michael (last edited Feb 28, 2016 02:39PM) (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) My vote is David Copperfield, but I'm happy to go with the popular pick. I need to read some Dickens, thanks for the invite

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you have any idea of when you will be starting yet ?
Thanks !

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hall | 3 comments I would like to see why you love our mutual friend so much Katie! I think this would be my choice!

message 25: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (themadrhetorician) | 2 comments Out of the three suggested, I would pick Our Mutual Friend. After hearing you talk about it on BookTube, I have started reading it, but haven't gotten a chance to get too far into it. Doing a readalong where a discussion could happen would be so wonderful!

message 26: by Wina (new)

Wina Puangco | 1 comments I'm down for either, but I have a feeling Our Mutual Friend is going to win! :)

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate Howe | 5 comments Wina wrote: "I'm down for either, but I have a feeling Our Mutual Friend is going to win! :)"

Wina's in the group - woot woot! I'm excited to read a Dickens with you. :) You have such thought provocative reviews and I think will have some great insights into a Dickens.

message 28: by Tayler (new)

Tayler McCrery | 1 comments This is a great idea! I'm a big Dickens fan, and loved your What the Dickens series. It inspired me to finally pick up Dombey and Son, which I'm thoroughly enjoying. :) I've wanted to do a slow read of a Dickens novel for a while, so this is perfect! Our Mutual Friend is my favorite of his novels, but I've only read it once. I definitely need to fix that. I'm going to cast my vote in that direction. ;)

message 29: by Layla (new)

Layla Loved your series on Dickens, and I need to pick up a Dickens -so here I am :)

message 30: by Katie (new)

Kaye wrote: "Do you have any idea of when you will be starting yet ?
Thanks !"

I'm not certain yet - after we've decided on the book (I'll leave the poll up for a week or two, and will announce when it's coming down,), I'll put another poll up for when to start. It'll either be April or May. April is obviously sooner, but if we do pick Our Mutual Friend, as currently seems likely, then May was when the first part of Our Mutual Friend was originally published back in 1864, so that might be quite fun to follow along with!

message 31: by Katie (new)

Tayler wrote: "This is a great idea! I'm a big Dickens fan, and loved your What the Dickens series. It inspired me to finally pick up Dombey and Son, which I'm thoroughly enjoying. :) I've wanted to do a slow rea..."

Thank you! And lovely to find someone else whose favourite Dickens novel is the glorious Our Mutual Friend :)

message 32: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 1 comments What a fun idea! I love Dickens' writing, Bleak House being my favorite so far. I vote Our Mutual Friend.

message 33: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Pope (oliviarpope) I'm very excited about this and think it's a fantastic way to kick start my Dickens journey. Personally, I would love to read Great expectations but everyone else seems to be leaning towards Little Dorrit or Our mutual friend so I'll just wait and see. :)

message 34: by Raquel (new)

Raquel | 9 comments Brilliant idea! I'm in for any book but I think my preferences are for Our Mutual Friend or Little Dorrit!

message 35: by Katie (new)

Don't forget to vote on the poll everyone :)

Looks like Our Mutual Friend is winning by quite a way know (which of course pleases me), with Little Dorrit coming second. You never know - maybe in eighteen months after we've finished Our Mutual Friend, we can read Little Dorrit too!

message 36: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Thong (carmenthong) | 1 comments Voted for Our Mutual Friend since it's your fav :).

message 37: by William (new)

William Baker | 1 comments Thank you, Katie, I'm very happy for your invite and for the adventure with Dickens!

message 38: by Silke (new)

Silke What a lovely idea, thank you Katie!
I'm in for any book - and regarding your message I like the idea of starting in May for "Our Mutual Friend" according to the publication date.

message 39: by deb (new)

deb (dhufflebee) I'll gladly read whichever book we'll end up choosing :)
And starting in May as in the publication year seems smart and wonderful!

message 40: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Webb (dreamingofmanderley) | 1 comments Richard wrote: "This is a great idea. I've read all the candidates and enjoyed them all. Can I enter a big plea for Great Expectations. I feel it is by far his finest work and had a psychological depth that isn't ..."

I just had to comment on this. Great Expectation is my favorite book of all time. Glad to see someone else loves it as much as I do.

message 41: by Liz (new)

Liz | 7 comments If we do decide to go with Our Mutual Friend, here is the original breakdown of the serial publication:

http://www.qub.ac.uk/our-mutual-frien...

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandaquotidianbooks) | 2 comments Liz wrote: "If we do decide to go with Our Mutual Friend, here is the original breakdown of the serial publication:

http://www.qub.ac.uk/our-mutual-frien..."

You're so on top of things, Liz :)

message 43: by Liz (new)

Liz | 7 comments Haha well I can't take all the credit! I got this from my Mom!

message 44: by Anna (new)

Anna (chloe2233) | 1 comments Hi, I just found out about this readalong and what a brilliant idea! I haven't read any of those three books so I'm happy with any of your pick!

message 45: by Nats (new)

Nats | 3 comments What an amazing idea I'm really looking forward to taking part and talking to you all.
Nat x

message 46: by Nats (new)

Nats | 3 comments Today I was in Oxford so went into Blackwells and treated myself to a copy. So I am ready to go

message 47: by Katie (new)

Nats wrote: "Today I was in Oxford so went into Blackwells and treated myself to a copy. So I am ready to go "

Awesome! I hope you'll enjoy it :) Looks like we'll be staring the readalong in May.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hall | 3 comments My very kind and wonderful postie delivered my copy of Our mutual friend today! I am so excited to start reading it! It even has the most fantastic illustration. Roll on May!

message 49: by Raquel (new)

Raquel | 9 comments I found an edition for 2,54€ so I couldn't pass it up! Like Matthew said, I'm not sure I'll be able to stick to 4 chapters a month (I'm currently reading Great Expectations and loving it!) but I'll try my best! I'll be participating in the discussions in any case!

message 50: by Katie (new)

Excited to see you're all getting your copies :) I don't know how I'm going to manage to stick to three or four chapters a month either, when I love it so much, especially as lots of my favourite characters don't turn up until Book 2 of 4 within Our Mutual Friend! Still, I guess the Victorians had to wait...

« previous 1

Victorian-style Dickens Readalong - Bleak House...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

David Copperfield (other topics)