Cocktails & Chat discussion

Cocktails - share your favourite recipes here!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Henry (lisahenry) | 77 comments To get the ball rolling, here are some of my favourite cocktail recipes:

Singapore Sling

Ingredients: 25ml gin, 25ml cherry brandy, 50ml pineapple juice, 10ml benedictine, 10ml grenadine, 10ml cointreau, and soda water.

Translation to American: 0.8 oz gin, 0.8 oz cherry brandy, 1.6 oz pineapple juice, 0.3 oz Benedictine, 0.3 oz grenadine, 0.3 oz cointreau, and soda water.

Method: Shake it all up, except for the soda water. Pour it over ice. Then top up your glass with soda water.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Henry (lisahenry) | 77 comments Rooftop Lemonade

Ingredients: 60 mls vodka, 90 mls fresh squeezed lemonade, cucumber slices, lemon wedges for garnish.

Translation to American: 2 oz. vodka, and 3 oz. lemonade, cucumber slices, and lemon wedges, for garnish.

Method: Shake vodka and lemonade. Toss with cucumber slices. Pour into a Collins glass and garnish with lemon wedges.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Henry (lisahenry) | 77 comments Mimosa

This one’s too easy, and is therefore probably my favourite!
Take ¾ cup of champagne, and add in ¼ cup of orange juice, and you’re done.

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ (rulindoolin) | 10 comments I want a rooftop lemonade right now. Kthnx :D

message 5: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Rock | 69 comments Aw, thank you for the American translations, Lisa! I don't really know how to make cocktails, but here are a couple of my go-tos:

1. Danger soda.
Pour some sparkling water into some blueberry or cherry wine. It tastes like soda, so you can drink lots of it.

2. Gin + another beverage.
Pour some gin into another beverage, such as Steigl Radler grapefruit beer. You don't have to use gin. You can use whatever liquor the people who lived in your apartment before you left behind. In my case, it was vast quantities of gin.

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ (rulindoolin) | 10 comments Omg blueberry danger soda...... i feel like we now know how we'll celebrate our next meeting.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Henry (lisahenry) | 77 comments Danger soda... this is how the end times begin.

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ (rulindoolin) | 10 comments *nods*

poor danger soda, it's just trying to do it's thing and bring enjoyment to the thirsty.

message 9: by BWT (new)

BWT (shadow0713) | 15 comments Two "naughty" cocktails every woman should know:

Pomegranate Sex On The Beach ~ 1 shot of vodka, 3/4 shot of peach schnapps, Pomegranate juice and Pineapple juice to taste.

Sex In The Driveway ~ 1oz Blue Curacao, 1oz Peach Schnapps, 2oz vodka (preferably citrus), Fill the rest up with Sprite, Pour ingredients into an ice filled Collins glass and stir that puppy. You can garnish with some citrus fruit too.

Enjoy!

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ (rulindoolin) | 10 comments I'm gonna like this place.

Many thanks, Emma, for creating this space.

*dons shades*

Oh wait, i can't forget the drinks.

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ (rulindoolin) | 10 comments A recent invention:

Any flavor of all natural La Croix carbonated water + Kraken rum = omg you can drink that shit like... water.

*wonderfully dangerous*

message 12: by Maygirl7 (new)

Maygirl7 | 4 comments Dark & Stormy.

Not sure of the exact proportions but use a highball glass.
Dark rum, ginger beer, mint and lime juice over a lot of ice. Yum!

message 13: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Rock | 69 comments All these things sound so good! I might have to actually learn to make cocktails.

message 14: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Griswold (mzgrizz) | 1 comments For fall and winter: a good old Manhattan: Two parts Segram's 7, one part sweet vermouth, dash of bitters. Either on the rocks or straight up. Cherry.

For spring and summer: Mount Gay rum and tonic. Pour as much rum in a glass as you like, add tonic and a squeeze of lime. Refreshing.

message 15: by Bitchie (new)

Bitchie (matron) This is something we used to make in high school. It didn't really have a name but since it had life savers in it, that's just what we called it.

Cup of ice, shot of vodka or light rum, sprite, and a roll of Life Savers candies. Throw it all in a blender, and blend until it's smooth, like an Icee or a slushie.

The cool thing is, if you use different flavors of Life Savers, you get different drinks- traditional 5 fruit, all cherry, butter rum, sours, they all make different drinks, which are totally yummy, and sneak up on you, because they just taste like slushies.

Of course, this was before all the flavored vodkas and rums came out, and we had to just make stuff up so us kids could stand to drink it.

message 16: by FantasyLiving (new)

FantasyLiving I never would have thought to use Lifesavers in a drink. We just tipped our dark rum in a coke bottle and drank that as a teen. Or bought Passion Pop and tried not to throw up.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Henry (lisahenry) | 77 comments I have a bottle of Passion Pop in my fridge that someone gave me as a joke. I'm too scared to open it!

message 18: by Emma Sea (last edited Mar 03, 2016 11:51PM) (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) | 10 comments Here's my all-time favorite recipe. Last time I drank this it was 1991 and I was at Killarney Street Brasserie in Takapuna, Auckland with my friend Joanne. We thought we were grown ups with the world at our feet. We gave the recipe to the barman. It's served in the shaker with 2 x shot glasses, to share. We drank a lot of shakers.

Brain Eraser

30ml Kahlua
15ml tequila
15ml vodka
15 ml scotch
15ml white creme de cacao
15ml cointreau
15ml baileys
60ml cream
30 ml milk

Shake on ice. Drink. Regret nothing.

Good luck converting that, my America friends

message 19: by FantasyLiving (new)

FantasyLiving Lisa wrote: "I have a bottle of Passion Pop in my fridge that someone gave me as a joke. I'm too scared to open it!"

Open it! Open it! You could pretend you are 15 again. Add a strawberry or 10. Drink it straight from the bottle lol.

OMG!!! Emma!!! I might try that the next time I go out. I could only drink that if there was hours of dancing to sweat it out lol.

message 20: by MLE (new)

MLE   | 5 comments Lisa wrote: "I have a bottle of Passion Pop in my fridge that someone gave me as a joke. I'm too scared to open it!"

Sounds a bit like Boone's Farm wine which they used to call Cheerleader beer back in my day. It's cheap, and comes in flavors like Strawberry Fields.

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ (rulindoolin) | 10 comments MLE wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I have a bottle of Passion Pop in my fridge that someone gave me as a joke. I'm too scared to open it!"

Sounds a bit like Boone's Farm wine which they used to call Cheerleader beer ba..."

Good ol' Boone's lol. Gawd, it was bad, right up there with Bartles and Jaymes.

message 22: by Bitchie (new)

Bitchie (matron) Oh, god, Boone's Farm strawberry, and Mad Dog 2020, those were the biggies when I was younger.

message 23: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Rock | 69 comments Emma Sea wrote: "Here's my all-time favorite recipe. Last time I drank this it was 1991 and I was at Killarney Street Brasserie in Takapuna, Auckland with my friend Joanne. We thought we were grown ups with the wor..."

I don't even know what some of the ingredients in that drink are. But I know I want to try it!

message 24: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Rock | 69 comments ♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ wrote: "MLE wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I have a bottle of Passion Pop in my fridge that someone gave me as a joke. I'm too scared to open it!"

Sounds a bit like Boone's Farm wine which they used to call Cheerle..."

Bartles & Jaymes!! *runs to the store*

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ (rulindoolin) | 10 comments hahahahaa do they even still B&J??

that was so my liquid candy freshman year of college.

message 26: by MLE (new)

MLE   | 5 comments ♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ wrote: "hahahahaa do they even still B&J??

that was so my liquid candy freshman year of college."

Now all I can think of is wine coolers, and all those little bottles of Kahlua drinks.

♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ (rulindoolin) | 10 comments Yesssss kahlua too.

message 28: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Emma Sea wrote: "Here's my all-time favorite recipe. Last time I drank this it was 1991 and I was at Killarney Street Brasserie in Takapuna, Auckland with my friend Joanne. We thought we were grown ups with the wor..."

Brain Eraser:
2:1:1:1:1:1:1:4:2
Those are the ratios use whatever measuring device you choose.

message 29: by Martin (new)

Martin Kimeldorf | 2 comments Hello Kiwis and other interesting folk

I'm a long time author and just finished a title you might enjoy. I pot up half the book as an PDF excerpt. Go enjoy some of the recipes if you like

Anyone into using Pamplemousse ?
If you like I'll post a very taste martini using that magical liqueur ???

You can find recipes and pro-Picts on my Food & Drink flickr page here:
https://flickr.com/photos/51035750428...

message 30: by Martin (new)

Martin Kimeldorf | 2 comments Had a 72 degree day, called for a backyard cocktail. This is one of my new favorites...

THE SAINT PAMPLEMOUSSE GIFT
Pamplemousse is the word in French for grapefruit. The liqueur form has many attractive uses. It presents you with the tart and sweet blend of a very ripe, red grapefruit. It is often enjoyed accompanying soda water on the rocks. When hanging out with the mysterious elderflower St. Germaine liqueur it kicks any drink up a notch. This cocktail’s complex nature fits well with autumnal reflections; and the sparkling tang will juice up any summer gathering. Actually this cocktail is perfect for any time of the year.

In a stout glass combine the following:
1-1/2 oz. of a full-bodied bourbon (e.g. Maker’s Mark)
½ oz. St. Germaine
1-1/2 oz. soda water
½ oz. Pamplemousse (more if you prefer sweetness)

Stir and then contribute 3 ice cubes.

Optionally add these to taste after you try the basic recipe…
2 drunken cherries plus a bit of syrup
2 dashes orange bitters