Smashwords Authors discussion

Meatgrinder and Autovetter > New AWFUL Epubcheck requirements

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Ellyne (j_ellyne) | 4 comments I submitted my fourth Smashwords novel to the meatgrinder yesterday and it failed. Under details all it said was there were Epubcheck errors, leading me to pages of very techinal mumbo-jumbo about how to combat Epubcheck, which is not a thing invented by Smashwords but rather is forced on them by Apple. I used to have a Mac and loved Apple but it's gotten so bad since Steve died and Tim took over. Anyone else having probs with Epubcheck on their manuscripts? I have resorted to the Nuclear Method. Some of you will know how much work that entails on an MS Word manuscript of 330 pages.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 260 comments I've never had that specific problem -- which means that I can't be of much help. Did you use Mark Coker's formatting manual on your MS?

message 3: by J. (new)

J. Ellyne (j_ellyne) | 4 comments J. wrote: "I submitted my fourth Smashwords novel to the meatgrinder yesterday and it failed. Under details all it said was there were Epubcheck errors, leading me to pages of very techinal mumbo-jumbo about ..."

Yes of course I used Mark's book. It's the bible, or should be, for Smashwords authors. That's where I learned the Nuclear Method. I revisited it last week to relearn how to turn off all MS Word's secret little formatting horrors before starting to get my manuscript's formatting back after applying the Nuclear Method. I'm on Chapter 20 now, reformatting 30 chapters. It's slow tedious going. My post was meant to reach out to others who might be puzzled to suddenly be getting these Epubcheck errors. It's a very new and intimidating barrier to publishing on Smashwords, all because they kowtow to Apple. I don't expect to sell that many books on Apple anyhow so this makes me pull my hair out.

message 4: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) I just read the latest Style Guide. It's ridiculous.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 260 comments J. wrote: " It's a very new and intimidating barrier to publishing on Smashwords, all because they kowtow to Apple. I don't expect to sell that many books on Apple anyhow so this makes me pull my hair out. "

I'll disregard the snarkiness in the rest of your post and focus on this part. SW is not, IMO "kowtowing" to anyone. They are trying to make sure that files for *all* epub readers work (did you know that, OUS, epub readers dominate the market?). I'm sorry you are running into problems. One of the things that I find helps me is that I have set my word processing program to show paragraph marks, etc., so that I can see where anything odd might be happening quite easily. You may wish to try that, if you aren't already. It really is helpful.

message 6: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Stan wrote: "I just read the latest Style Guide. It's ridiculous."

What's changed? I haven't uploaded anything for a while.

message 7: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) For one thing, clinking on the TOC headings does nothing. Impossible to navigate

message 8: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Stan wrote: "For one thing, clinking on the TOC headings does nothing. Impossible to navigate"

J. wrote: "I submitted my fourth Smashwords novel to the meatgrinder yesterday and it failed..."

I think we got our wires crossed! What I meant to ask is what's changed with the style requirements? J. - If this your fourth book (and I assume you've uploaded previous titles okay), what's different this time? I tend to use previous books as a template for new ones and so wondered if there's anything in the requirements that's changed.

message 9: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) Steph wrote: "Stan wrote: "For one thing, clinking on the TOC headings does nothing. Impossible to navigate"

J. wrote: "I submitted my fourth Smashwords novel to the meatgrinder yesterday and it failed..."

I t..."

The problem is I needed to access the TOC section and had to guess where to start. To do the TOC you have to do a Bookmark instead of using Headings, and you are limited as to what keyboard keys you can uses.

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 260 comments Stan wrote: "The problem is I needed to access the TOC section and had to guess where to start. To do the TOC you have to do a Bookmark instead of using Headings, and you are limited as to what keyboard keys you can uses."

It's been like that since the beginning. Yep, it can be a challenge, until you get used to it.

message 11: by David (last edited Mar 05, 2016 11:04AM) (new)

David Rose | 17 comments It is a pain, but I think it worth the effort:

J. wrote: " I don't expect to sell that many books on Apple anyhow "

After adding up two years worth of sales stats and comparing Amazon (KDP regular, not 'Select') to Smashwords I find I sell about 2/3 through Amazon and 1/3 through Smashwords, almost all of that through Apple. So Apple sales increase my revenue by nearly 50%. That's well worth it for me.

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 260 comments David wrote: "After adding up two years worth of sales stats and comparing Amazon (KDP regular, not 'Select') to Smashwords I find I sell about 2/3 through Amazon and 1/3 through Smashwords, almost all of that through Apple. So Apple sales increase my revenue by nearly 50%. That's well worth it for me. "

I have been keeping metrics since my first book was published in 2009 ... and epub editions have been outselling mobi (i.e., Kindle) by a factor of 5:1 for almost the entire time. The past six months have been the first time that it's been pretty much 50/50.

message 13: by Julia (new)

Julia Ban | 21 comments ok i posted a free ebook and i wish someone would check it for me . i don't know if the cover and the writing format is acceptabl for smashwords
here s th link
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 260 comments Julia wrote: "ok i posted a free ebook and i wish someone would check it for me . i don't know if the cover and the writing format is acceptabl for smashwords
here s th link
https://www.smashwords.com/books/vie..."

The grammar in your description is not too great ... could you have someone edit it and re-upload? I think it would be helpful, especially since that was mentioned in the one review you have as well.

message 15: by Julia (new)

Julia Ban | 21 comments ok thanks sooo much Sharon , it was approved anyway

message 16: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 260 comments Julia wrote: "ok thanks sooo much Sharon , it was approved anyway"

Smashwords doesn't check your grammar; they depend on you to do it.

I highly recommend having someone at least copy-edit your description. :-)

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Julia wrote: "ok thanks sooo much Sharon , it was approved anyway"

http://buildbookbuzz.com/amazon-book-...
This is valid for ALL retailers, Julia, do what Sharon says...

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia Ban | 21 comments ok thanks you all i will try to improve the description , though to be honest it s a bit hard to buy services of foreign sites through net , does anyone know why my book didn't appear in goodreads search though it was added ?

message 19: by Barbara (last edited Apr 16, 2016 08:50AM) (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments there are 4 of them. You might want to go to the Librarians Group and ask them to merge the duplicates...
forced
forced
forced
forced
Get help here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...
and you can find editors on Mark's list @ Smashwords or ask any of us where we go. My recommended editors/artists are here: http://www.unicornproductionsbooks.co...
The editors, I found them all on Goodreads! ;)

message 20: by Julia (new)

Julia Ban | 21 comments yes thanks i did wrote a note so that they ommit th extra one but i see they didn't thanks barbara i will do as u said

message 21: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I have e-pub errors - some random thing the meatgrinder put in that made it fail for the other stores. I haven't fixed it yet as I doubt I will sell enough on the other stores to warrant the hassle.

message 22: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 8 comments Steph wrote: " I tend to use previous books as a template for new ones and so wondered if there's anything in the requirements that's changed...."

I know this is old, but I just feel like injecting some life in here :D

It's the same with me...I was so frustrated trying to get my first few books through the meatgrinder, but once I got the hang of it, I haven't had any problems. Sometimes the style guide isn't much of a help when the book comes back with a problem, but a google search will usually turn up others who had the exact problem and provide the answers you're looking for.

message 23: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 8 comments David wrote: "It is a pain, but I think it worth the effort:

J. wrote: " I don't expect to sell that many books on Apple anyhow "

After adding up two years worth of sales stats and comparing Amazon (KDP regula..."

I too find Apple to be a decent market for me. The irony is, I seem to do better when my prices on Apple are higher than anywhere else. For some reason Apple customers like paying more than other people for the same product...