Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Sharing Feminism - educating the young and old

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenk86) | 1 comments First I would like to say that our shared shelf is simply amazing. I have been engrossed by the lively debate and information exchange among the many voices in the group.

I am admittedly new to the journey of discovery about feminism. While I wish this journey began at birth and winded its way through my childhood and adolescent years, it has actually began later in life for me. I attribute much of this delay in learning about feminism to the environment in which I grew up. My mother, grandmothers, and great grandmothers are all very traditional southern women. To my mother and grandmother, feminism was burning your bra or not shaving your legs or any number of other heinous stereotypes that have been perpetuated to hinder the movement. Now this is not to say they weren't strong female characters who embodied feminist characteristics in their own right, they just didn't know it. Therefore, by extension, active learning about feminism - how to engage in it, how to embody the characteristics, etc. - is not something that marked my childhood.

As I write to you now, I am a mother, daughter, and grand daughter who feels that leading a discovery about feminism is something I can foster in my family. The ultimate aim of this topic is to seek advice and input from this diverse community on how to teach the women around us, both young and old, about feminism.

As a starting off point, there are a couple of resources I would like to suggest for teaching young children about feminism.

A Mighty Girl is a wonderful website that gives great recommendations for toys, books, music, TV Shows, and movies that teach young girls to be confident and courageous. When shopping for my daughter, this is one of the first stops I make to look for ideas.

I read this article awhile back about how to teach young boys to be advocates for feminism. The post is originally from a website called Princess Free Zone. It has a lot of good advice on how to guide young boys to be aware of gender stereotypes and how to avoid perpetuating them. It also lists a lot useful additional resources. http://www.thefrisky.com/2011-09-25/t...

Finally, I very recently learned of a great website called Rejected Princesses from the Disney discussion on Our Shared Shelf. If you haven't dug into yet, take a moment to dive in. The website gives great information on historical female characters who a "princess movie" would never be made about.

I strongly believe that a grass roots education campaign could create monumental strides for feminism. We can all be the voice of change by simply educating those around us, so without further ado let the conversation begin. I am really looking forward to hearing all of your advice, ideas, and resource suggestions for feminist education.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Miller (rosethorn7) | 123 comments Thanks for sharing! I agree, I think A Mighty Girl is a great website and I will have to check out Rejected Princesses. Yes, this group is an awesome feminist haven!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.