75 Books...More or Less! discussion

2016-2022 Chat > Really cheap or free books

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Joy (new)

Rachel Joy Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of any way to get books (real books, paper and all) for real cheap, like PaperbackSwap cheap? They are only 49 cents per book at PBS and that's about what I can afford right now.
Thanks all and happy reading!

message 2: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4111 comments Mod
Do you have a library near you? I ho estly stopped buying books a while ago. I want to read what I have at home abd I borrow newer stuff from the library. Ialsohave Kindle Unlime which is fairly cheap.

message 3: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7650 comments Mod
I've used half.com in the past, before I went mostly electronic. You can usually find some pretty good deals but you do have to pay shipping so you may pay 35 cents for a book but shipping is like $2.99.

message 4: by Rachel Joy (last edited Mar 01, 2016 08:24AM) (new)

Rachel Joy Andrea wrote: "Do you have a library near you? I ho estly stopped buying books a while ago. I want to read what I have at home abd I borrow newer stuff from the library. Ialsohave Kindle Unlime which is fairly ch..."

Thanks, Andrea.
Yeah, about that, the libraries in the state of Vermont, where I currently reside, are pathetic, in a word. My father's a librarian so, under normal circumstances, I live at the local library, but since moving to hicksville, New England, I have found out that not all libraries are equal. And their ILL system, if they can even find what I'm looking for, takes freaking forever.

message 5: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2016 08:45AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7650 comments Mod
Rachel Joy wrote: "Thanks, Andrea.
Yeah, about that, the libraries in the state of Vermont, where I currently reside, are pathetic, in a word..."

I know what you mean about hicksville New England, Rachel! I take full advantage of the online library through Overdrive for e-books. There's a massive catalog, new and old, generally the hold lists aren't too bad unless the book *just* came out or is by a wicked popular author. And you don't even have to own an e-reader, you can just download the Kindle app with your Amazon account and use your phone or tablet. Convenience for the win!

message 6: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4111 comments Mod
I guess I am lucky, each town I have lived in Massachusetts has had a great library. I also use Overdrive for electronic library materials and that works great! I also have a Kindle Unlimited membership. It doesn't have a lot of new and popular books but I have not run out of stuff to read with it yet.