Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Hi, I'm (kind of) New

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Robinson (BlackPage) | 23 comments Hi there!

I joined Goodreads a few months ago, but I still haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet. I would like to connect with the community more, because even though I've posted on some threads, no one ever seems to respond to me. I wonder if I'm looking in the wrong place for notifications?

If anyone could give me some guidelines, that would be great!

Thanks for reading this post!

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace Crandall | 108 comments People don't generally give specific replies, and Goodreads doesn't have a special notification when someone posts a reply... Usually it's just a matter of keeping up with new comments on threads that interest you, and putting in your two cent's worth every now and again :)
For really being involved and getting to know people, I like going to the games section of any group. There's a sort of camaraderie there, and you get to know the various commenters pretty fast :)

Incidentally, where are you looking for notifications? There's usually an option for you to choose when and how you get notifications for any given group or thread. When I first joined I had them all turned off and didn't realize it.

message 3: by P.I. (new)

P.I. (thewordslinger) | 123 comments Elizabeth, are you an author or a reader? Don't feel all alone. I did for years and had finally given up on GRs until a month or two ago when someone on GR messaged me and told me she was looking for my latest novel. I sent a copy to her and she reviewed it and it showed up on a list and eventually I returned here and kind of figured it out at last! As Grace has said, it may seem like you're being ignored but check to see whether you are getting notices from groups you're posting in--start a reply and before you post look below your comment at the Add to my Update Feed and click it and then below that click the "Notify me when people reply" and make sure they are enabled esp. the Notify me one. You will be able to edit your post or how often you want to be notified or updated. Look at certain groups depending on what you're interested in or if you're an author or reviewer here. Many times you won't get responses unless you start a discussion thread with a question and then it might take a while or only get a few responses. It doesn't mean you're being ignored; so many authors are involved in promoting their books and trying to get reviews it can get quite busy here and you can get rather lost in the fray sometimes. It's not personal. I don't use the games but I try to get reviews as much as possible. It takes a while to get the hang of it all!

message 4: by Doug (new)

Doug Oudin | 168 comments P.I.
Thanks for this post. I can relate to Elizabeth, having thought similarly about Goodreads; how it works, and how to use it effectively.
For me, I can't see where it has generated much in the way of sales, but I have had a few people follow through with their 'to read' posts, but I've never had anyone contact me directly for an author copy as you mentioned. I don't see that as a true function of GR, but it does direct readers to Amazon and other online retail sites.

message 5: by Jim (last edited Feb 28, 2016 09:54AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1038 comments Although many of the Goodreads literary website's discussion groups include a thread specifically designated to allow published authors to promote themselves and their works, its primary purpose is to provide a forum for avid readers to share and discuss their opinions and preferences regarding books and their authors. Many discussion groups provide threads specifically designed for socializing and sharing interests other than reading.

Participate as a fellow reader and you will eventually attract a following of like-minded members. First and foremost , allow them time to get to know you as a person and you them.