2016 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

Amelia Bloomer Books

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 15 comments The Born Frees by Kimberly Burge gives readers a glimpse of life in the township of Gugulethu just outside of Cape Town in South Africa. Burge went to Cape Town on a Fulbright Scholarship to form a writing workshop with teen girls from Gugulethu. Readers "meet" several girls from the workshop and get to know them both through their own and Burge's writing. Mixed in with the girls' stories is information about South Africa's history and the effect it has had on these girls, their families and the community. I highly recommend this book.
Has anyone else read this book? I'd love to hear what you thought of it. It made a big impression on me and is a book I don't think I'd have come across on my own. Thank you YALSA and kudos to the Amelia Bloomer project. I plan to read more of the Amelia Bloomer books!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 16 comments I loved The Boston Girl!!! It has been on my "to read" list since it was first released and the Hub Challenge got me to pick it up. The author captures Addie's voice in a way that made her seem alive to me. I enjoyed following her life journey as she answers her granddaughter's question: How did you get to be the woman you are today?
It's always fun to me to learn about the history of a place or event through the eyes of a character. In this case, learning about the struggle for women's rights, Judaic life in Boston, and life in general for an immigrant family in the 1920's was all enjoyable.

message 3: by Jmrunninglib (new)

Jmrunninglib | 7 comments I started Notorious RBG and WOW. She is such an interesting person and the author does and nice job laying out the facts. It does in places seem to drag a little, but just skim those parts and keep reading - I don't think you'll be disappointed.