Dreamspinner Press discussion

Meet the Author > Meet K.Z. Snow

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dreamspinner (last edited Apr 30, 2014 06:48AM) (new)

Dreamspinner Press (dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
Meet K.Z. Snow author of the new book "Machine" this Saturday, May 3rd from 12-3pm Eastern/9am-12pm Pacific right here!

message 2: by K.Z. (last edited May 03, 2014 08:59AM) (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Hi, guys! I'm here. What kind of weekend is it shaping up to be for y'all? Got any plans? We're getting our first blast of pure sunshine in weeks. Windows open! Enter, Spring!

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Good afternoon! My only plan is to read and since that's my favorite thing to do, I'm happy. How's your weekend so far?

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments I missed your Twitter time - got there after it was over and kicked myself since I really wanted to be there.

message 5: by K.Z. (last edited May 03, 2014 11:38AM) (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Feel free to ask me anything about the Mongrel trilogy, which consists of these books: Mongrel (Mongrel, #1) by K.Z. Snow , Merman (Mongrel, #2) by K.Z. Snow , and now Machine (Mongrel #3) by K.Z. Snow . Or any of my DSP books. Or anything!

message 6: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Oh, and I'll be posting a coupon code that will give you 25% off all my Dreamspinner titles and all DSP's steampunk stories. That's called "enticement." ;-)

message 7: by K.Z. (last edited May 03, 2014 09:13AM) (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Hi, Andrea! So far my weekend has consisted of sucking coffee and letting the dogs out. :) But I'm sure I'll get some reading and movie-watching in. The ground is still too wet and cold to do any gardening.

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments K.Z. wrote: "Oh, and I'll be posting a coupon code that will give you 25% off all my Dreamspinner titles and all DSP's steampunk stories. That's called "enticement." ;-)"

I have all of your books except Machine so I'll definitely be using the coupon. Thanks so much for offering it.

message 9: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Thank Dreamspinner. :)

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Question for you - how do you come up with your titles? Some of your books have my all time favorites. It's not often a title will make me buy the book but that's how I read my first book you wrote and the story was so good I bought your back list and everything you've written since then.

message 11: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Wow, thank you! Titles just come to me. I don't like stereotypical "romancy" titles, so I wait for something to hit me that seems evocative and reflects the book's theme. Sometimes, the title comes to me first, and I'll build a story around it.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments K.Z. wrote: "Wow, thank you! Titles just come to me. I don't like stereotypical "romancy" titles, so I wait for something to hit me that seems evocative and reflects the book's theme. Sometimes, the title comes..."

Which came first with Precious Boy, Bastards and Pretty Boys and Jude in Chains? Those are 3 of my favorites.

message 13: by Ashavan (new)

Ashavan Doyon | 53 comments KZ: thanks for chatting with us! I'll admit, I've never read any of your books. Talk to me about this series and what makes it special.

message 14: by K.Z. (last edited May 03, 2014 09:54AM) (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Andrea, Precious_boy by K.Z. Snow was actually the result of my mis-hearing lyrics from the song "Sexy Boy" (from the British QaF), which was the theme for Charlie Hunnam's character. It was he who inspired Justin/Ethan in p_b. The title for Bastards and Pretty Boys by K.Z. Snow came first. With Jude in Chains by K.Z. Snow , storyline and title grabbed me simultaneously.

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments K.Z. wrote: "Andrea, Precious_boy by K.Z. Snow was actually the result of my mis-hearing lyrics from the song "Sexy Boy" (from the British QaF), which was the theme for Charlie Hunnam's character. It was..."

If you had to name one of your titles as your favorite, which one would it be? You have so many good ones!

message 16: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Hello, Ashavan, and thanks for dropping by. The Mongrel trilogy is categorized as steampunk but diverges significantly from "conventional" steampunk. No Victorian London setting, less emphasis on gadgetry and fashion, more on social issues. The books are very character-driven. And I've incorporated paranormal elements, as well.

message 17: by K.Z. (last edited May 03, 2014 10:06AM) (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Yikes, Andrea, that's a tough question! I'm fond of Electric Melty Tingles, primarily because it gave my publisher fits (specifically, the staff member who oversaw covers). :-D The more she hated it, the more fiercely I clung to it. But overall, I like A Hole in God's Pocket best, I think.

message 18: by Koozebane (new)

Koozebane | 113 comments K.Z. wrote: "Hi, guys! I'm here. What kind of weekend is it shaping up to be for y'all? Got any plans? We're getting our first blast of pure sunshine in weeks. Windows open! Enter, Spring!"

Just got back from stop #1 of my California Bookstore Day epic tour (the first one ever, it's like Record Store Day for indie bookshops), and now I'm on a bus to catch a train for stops 2, 3, and 4. It's Free Comic Book Day too, so I'll be one busy browser...

message 19: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments Hello! Sorry I'm late! I was having some birthday festivities! How is your chat going so far? :)

message 20: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments K.Z. wrote: "Yikes, Andrea, that's a tough question! I'm fond of Electric Melty Tingles, primarily because it gave my publisher fits (specifically, the staff member who oversaw covers). :-D The ..."

Ooo, A Whole in God's Pocket was a good one! It really captured my interest just with the title!

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments K.Z. wrote: "Yikes, Andrea, that's a tough question! I'm fond of Electric Melty Tingles, primarily because it gave my publisher fits (actually, the staff member who oversaw covers). :-D The more ..."

I thought I had all your M/M books but somehow I missed Electric Melty Tingles. On my wish list now, though.

message 22: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments I envy you, Koozebane. I could browse bookstores endlessly. But only if they have used/old/antiquarian books in addition to new ones.

message 23: by K.Z. (last edited May 03, 2014 10:20AM) (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Hi, Julianna! You're not late. Hope the b-day festivities were fun. Was the cake good? ;-)

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments What I like most about your books (besides the titles) is that you take difficult subjects and don't shy away in the writing. Your characters are not flawless and the situations are not necessarily comfortable but it all works and makes for fantastic books - definitely not cookie cutter!

message 25: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments K.Z. wrote: "Hi, Julianna! You'e not late. Nice to see you here! Hope the b-day festivities were fun."

Yep, nothing crazy! A bath & some tea, French toast and a few presents! I got a great book with the art of Tolkien and a beautiful royal Albert tea set! Very fancy. :) But now I'm on the computer with no plans until dinner!

message 26: by Koozebane (new)

Koozebane | 113 comments K.Z. wrote: "I envy you, Koozebane. I could browse bookstores endlessly. But only if they have used/old/antiquarian books in addition to new ones."

They're thinking of making it a national event if all goes well, and judging from how fast stuff went where I wad, it should. I do feel really spoiled in northern CA, since I have a couple of great new/used bookstores a half hour away, and apparently they do tend to have multiple ones close to each other in the Bay Area...

message 27: by Koozebane (new)

Koozebane | 113 comments And happy, happy birthday, Juliana!

message 28: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Okay, guys, we're over an hour into my chat, so here's the coupon information. It's good for one use per reader at the DSP store, and it's valid for today and tomorrow. To get 25% off ANY of my DSP titles, enter Snow0503 (case sensitive) at the checkout. Hope you find something you like!

message 29: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Koozebane wrote: "K.Z. wrote: "I envy you, Koozebane. I could browse bookstores endlessly. But only if they have used/old/antiquarian books in addition to new ones."

They're thinking of making it a national event i..."

Well, I'll be SOL. I now live in the boonies. :(

message 30: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Juliana wrote: "K.Z. wrote: "Hi, Julianna! You'e not late. Nice to see you here! Hope the b-day festivities were fun."

Yep, nothing crazy! A bath & some tea, French toast and a few presents! I got a great book wi..."

Happy, happy, happy! What lovely gifts you got!

message 31: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Andrea wrote: "What I like most about your books (besides the titles) is that you take difficult subjects and don't shy away in the writing. Your characters are not flawless and the situations are not necessarily..."

Thank you, Andrea. That's encouraging to hear. I have a couple of contemporaries coming up next from Dreamspinner and Harmony Ink that involve some difficult situations too.

message 32: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments When will your DSP contemporary be coming out?

message 33: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments K.Z. wrote: "Juliana wrote: "K.Z. wrote: "Hi, Julianna! You'e not late. Nice to see you here! Hope the b-day festivities were fun."

Yep, nothing crazy! A bath & some tea, French toast and a few presents! I got..."

Thanks!

message 34: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Andrea wrote: "When will your DSP contemporary be coming out?"

August, I think. It's called Resurrection Man and is this close >-< to being novel-length. The other is Ben Raphael's All-star Virgins, a YA, and should be out in the fall.

message 35: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments So question, how long did it take you to write Machine? Was it a longer or shorter time than Mongrel and Merman? Or about the same?

message 36: by K.Z. (last edited May 03, 2014 10:46AM) (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Juliana wrote: "So question, how long did it take you to write Machine? Was it a longer or shorter time than Mongrel and Merman? Or about the same?"

Oh gosh, I'm really bad at keeping track of my writing time! Mongrel went the fastest, as I recall. Merman took the longest (it involved the most research). Machine fell in between. It's by far the most psychologically and emotionally complex book of the three.

message 37: by K.Z. (last edited May 03, 2014 10:49AM) (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments I feel bad about not being able to post a quick-link to Machine, but the word is apparently so common in titles, I get over a hundred pages of possibilities when I try the "add book/author" shortcut. :(

message 38: by Jules (last edited May 03, 2014 10:54AM) (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments Machine Here is the link! You just have to type Machine K.Z. in the search box! Machine (Mongrel #3) by K.Z. Snow

message 39: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Juliana wrote: "Machine Here is the link! You just have to type Machine K.Z. in the search box!"

No kidding! I tried Machine by K.Z. Snow and came up empty-handed!

message 40: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments K.Z. wrote: "Juliana wrote: "So question, how long did it take you to write Machine? Was it a longer or shorter time than Mongrel and Merman? Or about the same?"

Oh gosh, I'm really bad at keeping track of my ..."

Haha, yeah, I see some authors that know how many weeks exactly it took to finish a book, if I was an author I'd be one of those saying "um, time moved forward, the earth passed me by…" ;)

message 41: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments K.Z. wrote: "Juliana wrote: "Machine Here is the link! You just have to type Machine K.Z. in the search box!"

No kidding! I tried Machine by K.Z. Snow and came up empty-handed!"

How weird! Oh, did you type "by" that might have been it!

message 42: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments So this is going to be tough to answer but what is your favorite book of the series? And your favorite of all of your books? I know I'm horrid to ask!

message 43: by K.Z. (last edited May 03, 2014 11:19AM) (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Juliana wrote: "Haha, yeah, I see some authors that know how many weeks exactly it took to finish a book, if I was an author I'd be one of those saying "um, time moved forward, the earth passed me by…"

:-D Yeah, some writers get their OCD on when it comes to keeping track of word count and time. I'm waaaaay too disorganized to bother.

message 44: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments Haha, I am sooo disorganized! I can never keep track of anything!

message 45: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments Do sequels sell as well as the first book of a series? I've noticed that, with all authors, the subsequent books don't have as many reviews and I've always wondered.

message 46: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Juliana wrote: "So this is going to be tough to answer but what is your favorite book of the series? And your favorite of all of your books? I know I'm horrid to ask!"

Oh noes! The dreaded "favorite" question! How could you do this to me? 'Cause I honestly can't answer. I'm not going to compare it with deciding which of your kids or pets you love most, but I can find things to like and dislike about each story. One book I am unusually protective of is Carny's Magic. It's a full-length novel, but in many ways the runt of my litter.

message 47: by Susinok (new)

Susinok Hi KZ, sorry I'm late. Had a company picnic to attend. I am looking forward to starting Machine soon. I love your take on a Steampunk universe.

message 48: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (kzsnow) | 260 comments Andrea wrote: "Do sequels sell as well as the first book of a series? I've noticed that, with all authors, the subsequent books don't have as many reviews and I've always wondered."

Unless you're an author who inhabits the same mountaintop as Josh Lanyon and Abi Roux (or higher yet, J.R. Ward), sequels don't do as well as firsts. Maybe they would if all the books in a series were issued simultaneously, so readers could hop from one story to the next to the next. But that deadtime between installments always results in lost interest. A shame, really, because many series get better over time.

message 49: by Susinok (new)

Susinok But I think having a closed trilogy will be a point in the Mongrel universe's favor. People often don't commit to a series until it is finished.

message 50: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 426 comments K.Z. wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Do sequels sell as well as the first book of a series? I've noticed that, with all authors, the subsequent books don't have as many reviews and I've always wondered."

Unless you're ..."

I like to wait for all of them and read back to back. I bought the first 2 of the Mongrel series but have been waiting for Machine before I start reading.

« previous 1