You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
This topic is about Red Queen
Buddy Reads > Red Queen

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I've spotted this on a few people's tbr lists and wondered if anyone would like to read this with me. Anytime is fine by me so please suggest when you'd like.

message 2: by Delitealex (new) - added it

Delitealex | 336 comments I'm planning to read this at the end of march.

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Awesome, what date would be good for you? How about the 27th?

message 4: by Delitealex (new) - added it

Delitealex | 336 comments 27th sounds good

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Great =] Have you been continuing with 'Discovery of Witches'?

message 6: by Delitealex (new) - added it

Delitealex | 336 comments Yes Im still reading it I hope to finish in a few days.

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I'll watch the other thread to see what you think =]

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments I don't see that I mentioned that I would join in, but I have it on my schedule. It's downloaded and ready to go. I have 4-1/2 hours left on my current book. I might start Red Queen a day early, on Saturday. How is everyone else's schedule looking?

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Still planning to read this but probs won't start until Monday.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments I started it this afternoon. I think it's going to be a quick read. So far, it's quite light.

message 11: by Delitealex (new) - added it

Delitealex | 336 comments I'll probably start on Monday I'm thinking about using it in a challenge.

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments I have about 3 hours left. It seems to be (view spoiler)

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments Janice wrote: "I have about 3 hours left. It seems to be [spoilers removed]"

response to your spoiler: (view spoiler)

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments Sarina wrote: "I love The Red Queen. It is exciting, interesting and engrossing. I am completely enamored with this author and her topics. So great to learn some historyIthrough fiction. I have read several of he..."

Welcome to YLTO. I suspect you are referring to Philippa Gregory. The book we are discussing is the same title but written by Victoria Aveyard.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments Kristie wrote: "Janice wrote: "I have about 3 hours left. It seems to be [spoilers removed]"

response to your spoiler: [spoilers removed]"

I loved the cover so much, that I wanted the book to be great.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 13224 comments Yes, the cover is gorgeous.

message 17: by Sarina (last edited Mar 27, 2016 08:29PM) (new) - added it

Sarina Rose (goodreadscomsarinarose) | 6 comments Janice wrote: "Sarina wrote: "I love The Red Queen. It is exciting, interesting and engrossing. I am completely enamored with this author and her topics. So great to learn some historyIthrough fiction. I have rea..."

Yes, thank you. I realized that the minute I post. Just took it down. But now I am definitely intrigued. I will read Red Queen.

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I shall be starting this later tonight.

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments Sarah wrote: "I shall be starting this later tonight."

Super! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. I may finish it tonight... we'll see.

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments I finished reading this and gave it 3 stars. My granddaughter would love it. I found it a bit too young, too predictable, and it seems to be a knockoff of Cinder. There are quite a few similarities between the two. I won't be reading any more in the series.

message 21: by Delitealex (new) - added it

Delitealex | 336 comments I started it today not too far yet.

message 22: by Sarah (last edited Mar 30, 2016 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I'm up to Chapter 9 now.

It's interesting, when I first started I thought of 'The Hunger Games' for a split second, when (view spoiler)

I haven't read 'Cinder', so I can't say, but I do want to read that at some point.

It also reminded me a little bit of A Darker Shade of Magic with (view spoiler)

We shall see, it does seem like quite a light read so hopefully won't take too long. I'm already starting to feel it's a bit too teeny for me.

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments I've been reading the reviews and several people are comparing it to Red Rising, where people are reds or golds, and the protagonist's name is Darrow instead of Barrow. I haven't read it myself.

message 24: by Sarah (last edited Mar 30, 2016 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I haven't read that either Janice. That's on my list too tho.

message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18169 comments If it's like Red Rising I might have to give this one a miss. I abandoned that book. I have this one as a freebie from netgalley so i should read it to review it but it doesn't inspire me right now.

message 26: by Delitealex (new) - added it

Delitealex | 336 comments This isn't really holding my attention. I like the world so far but I don't care for the characters that much. Maybe things will be better when I get more read

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments It seems very teen-y. And the story is not too exciting. I'm going to finish it because it's a book for the geocache. It seems very slow in terms of the story-line not much happening but the time in the book is speeding along. Seems a bit strange.

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47966 comments I persevered because I had it for my geocache challenge as well. It wasn't horrible, and it was a quick easy read.

message 29: by Sarah (last edited Apr 04, 2016 07:29AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I've finished. I gave it 2 stars. It was okay. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either. A bit boring, I think the idea of the storyline was good, but it could have been better. I won't be continuing with the series.

(view spoiler)