The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 705 (705 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

message 1: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (last edited Mar 29, 2016 03:03PM) (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments

Team Cars

Team Members:

Jessica (captain)
Lulu (co-captain)
Philippa
Mandy
Kristen
Catherine
Lianna
Emma
Megan
Allison

Ashdeep
Morgan
Kervin

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments reserved

message 3: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

message 4: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 128 comments Is this my team??! Not sure. :)

message 6: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments Catherine wrote: "Is this my team??! Not sure. :)"

Yes :)

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 128 comments Ok...great...just wanted to be sure.... :)

message 8: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments :)
Because your captain hasn't arrived yet, I have PM'd the team members. Hopefully you'll get some company soon!

message 9: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Londer Hello team! :)

message 10: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Morin Yay so excited I made in onto a team! Can't wait to play :)!

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 128 comments Woohoo!!

message 12: by Jessica (last edited Mar 28, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Yay! I can't wait to get started! :)

Lulu’s UNO shelf
Megan's UNO shelf
Mandy’s UNO shelf
Emma's UNO shelf
Jessica’s UNO shelf
Allison Ann's UNO shelf
Lianna's UNO shelf
Catherine's UNO shelf

message 13: by Jessica (last edited Feb 29, 2016 09:31AM) (new)

Jessica | 310 comments I know that not everyone has checked in, but should we pick our books? We were dealt 6 ,6, 4, 2, Wild, 1, and 3. This is the first time I have participated in the UNO challenge, and I am just excited to pick out what book I want to read first. Hehehe :)

I have Four by Veronica Roth (card: 4) and The Murder of an Angel by James Patterson (card: 2 - character Tandoori Angel) lined up and ready to go, so I can take either one of those. Or both ;)

message 14: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Morin Same question kind of, how do we decide who is reading what. Is it first come first serve for the cards?

message 15: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulufritz) | 685 comments Hi everyone. I'm a little late but super excited! This is the first time I have participated in the UNO challenge too.

I can do
The Warlord wants forever (card 1 - book one in the series)
or
Carpe Corpus (card 6 - book 6 in the series)
or both

message 16: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulufritz) | 685 comments Kristen wrote: "Same question kind of, how do we decide who is reading what. Is it first come first serve for the cards?"

I think we are waiting on the captain really.
I just did what Jessica did and gave some options for what I can read for the challenge

message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Morin Ok thanks! I can do...

UNO card 2
Breakfast at Tiffany's (author with last name T)

UNO card 3
The Love that Split the World (author with last name H)

message 18: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Londer Slapstick, or Lonesome No More! by Kurt Vonnegut

Since we have two 6s ...

message 19: by Jessica (last edited Mar 01, 2016 06:23AM) (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Wonderful!! I have downloaded the spreadsheet and I will keep it current until our captain checks in. Here is a link to my UNO shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

If everyone else wants to create a UNO shelf and post it here, I think that would be an easy way to see what everyone else is reading and when it is completed :)

message 20: by Jessica (last edited Mar 01, 2016 08:32AM) (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Kristen wrote: "Ok thanks! I can do...

UNO card 2
Breakfast at Tiffany's (author with last name T)

UNO card 3
The Love that Split the World (author with last name H)"

Kristen, you can do Breakfast at Tiffany's for the wild card. That means that we have all the spots for our first hand full! Off to a great start! Waahhooo! Happy reading everyone :)

message 21: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments

Share your passion for books

To get to know each other and share our passion for books we'd like you to share a book memory, write a couple of lines, what it meant to you, did a book change your life? Why do you always re-read the same book, which is you best book and why. What you share can be anything and everything. You are what you read and we want to get to know you.

Post your memory here: Share a book memory
(Don't forget to add your team name when you share)

message 22: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulufritz) | 685 comments Jessica wrote: "Wonderful!! I have downloaded the spreadsheet and I will keep it current until our captain checks in. Here is a link to my UNO shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list......"

Good idea. Mine is below.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I figured it would be easier if it was a reply rather than a new post so they are sort of in one place

message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 128 comments Hi...I'm here :) just want to let you know I can do 1,2,3, or 4...I am pretty sure I have those in series....or I can use author names I think...I have to check on 6th on series...but I may be able to use author name.

message 24: by Lianna (new)

Lianna (lianna_1209) Hey! Sorry I'm late. I was away! What have I missed so far? Anything I need to do?

message 25: by Jessica (last edited Mar 02, 2016 06:13AM) (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Completed

Four A Divergent Story Collection (Divergent, #0.1 - 0.4) by Veronica Roth

Card 4: Title starts with F

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Yay! Welcome Lianna! We have all the cards from hand one (tentatively) taken :) From hand two you can take a 3 or 4 (we have 2 of them). Hopefully I will have access to update the team spreadsheet soon so you can check there for what needs to be completed.

Make a UNO Challenge shelf and keep a record there of what you are currently reading and what you plan to read in the month, I will check there for updates. Once you complete a book, just post it to the thread and I will update the points :)

So happy to have you! Happy reading!

message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Catherine wrote: "Hi...I'm here :) just want to let you know I can do 1,2,3, or 4...I am pretty sure I have those in series....or I can use author names I think...I have to check on 6th on series...but I may be able..."

Hi Catherine! Do you want to do card 3 or 4 for hand two?

message 28: by Lianna (new)

Lianna (lianna_1209) Brilliant. I have two 3's in my tbr so I'll read Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas which is the 3rd book in the Throne of Glass series. I'll make an UNO challenge shelf too.

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Lianna wrote: "Brilliant. I have two 3's in my tbr so I'll read Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas which is the 3rd book in the Throne of Glass series. I'll make an UNO challenge shelf too."

Ooohhh! I've been wanting to start the Throne of Glass series! You'll need to let me know what you think of it. We don't have a reverse until hand five, if we make it that far maybe I will take the opportunity :)

message 30: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Londer Thanks Jessica for stepping in and organizing everything :)

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Mandy wrote: "Thanks Jessica for stepping in and organizing everything :)"

No problem! Honestly... I've been having loads of fun :)

message 32: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 128 comments I can do card 4...I have a couple 4th in series

message 33: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 128 comments So...I am a wee bit confused....when do I need to finish by? And what do I need to go by...as in...is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th or whatever number in series ok...or do I need to use a different form..ie..author or title?

message 34: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Catherine wrote: "So...I am a wee bit confused....when do I need to finish by? And what do I need to go by...as in...is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th or whatever number in series ok...or do I need to use a different form..i..."

We have card 4 left in hand 2 (all the other spots for hands 1 and 2 are filled with the teams TBR for the month). So you can use any of the criteria for a 4 card (title, author, series number, etc.). Or, you can start on hand 3 (just click on the link for team spreadsheet at the top of the forum to see the hands we were delt). For the hand to count, all cards need to be fulfilled in a hand by the end of the month. As long as a book is started on or after March 1st, it can count for the month it is finished (ie. started 03.02, finished 04.05 - counts for the month of April). I seriously hope I am making sense. LOL!

Sorry for the confusion, I think it will be easier once I have access to update the spreadsheet on the forum, then there will be visual guidance. Hope this helps :)

message 35: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 128 comments Ok...so I can use 4th in series or 3rd in series...or author/title..according to what is needed....and I have a month to finish hiw ever many books I can...depending on what is needed...am I getting that right? So...if we need 2 books for 4 card....and I read 2 books...that is ok?

message 36: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 128 comments I will start with 4th in series fo 4 card if that's ok....and go from there...

message 37: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 128 comments I am also confused because how did hand one get finished already? Didn't we just begin?

message 38: by Kervin (last edited Mar 02, 2016 07:12PM) (new)

Kervin Cunanan (keromcun) | 2 comments Hi! Sorry for my tardiness. I have a question about "Draw 2" on the 3rd hand. It says "Use the same book for two cards in this hand (and get points for both cards)". By that if I choose to read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, I could play 2 (T in title) and 3 (H first name's author). But then does that ultimately mean that I'll be playing three cards in that hand, Draw 2, 2, and 3, but only get points for cards 2 and 3?

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Catherine wrote: "I am also confused because how did hand one get finished already? Didn't we just begin?"

It isn't finished per se, it is just filled in based on what our players have said they will read this month. I know I can get at the very minimum 4 books finished, so I have filled those in as well as the books our teammates have told me they can finish :)

Absolutely you can do card 4 :) just let me know the title and I will fill it in on the spreadsheet.

message 40: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Kervin wrote: "Hi! Sorry for my tardiness. I have a question about "Draw 2" on the 3rd hand. It says "Use the same book for two cards in this hand (and get points for both cards)". By that if I choose to read The..."

HELLO & WELCOME :) No biggie for being tardy we're just getting this party going! LOL! So, that is exactly correct. While we don't get the points for the draw 2 (**sigh**) we do get points for 2 and 3 and get to finish the hand faster (**wahooo**)!

message 41: by Philippa (new)

Philippa (philyn) | 4 comments Hello, Philippa here let's get started.

Apologies for my delay.

message 42: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Completed

The Murder of an Angel (Confessions, #4) by James Patterson

Card 2: Character's first name starts with T - Tandoori

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Philippa wrote: "Hello, Philippa here let's get started.

Apologies for my delay."

Hi Philippa!! No problems for the delay, we are just getting started. I am just so happy that the team is filling up! I have updated the team spreadsheet with what everyone has lined up for this month. Let me know if you have any questions :)

message 44: by Philippa (new)

Philippa (philyn) | 4 comments Hi,

For the 3rd hand, I can do card 3 ( title starts with H) - Heroes Are My Weakness by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
& card 4 (has a character with a name F, Frankie ) - Sleepless in Manhattan by Sarah Morgan

message 45: by Philippa (new)

Philippa (philyn) | 4 comments Hand 4, skip card (author first name or surname starts with K/P)
Come On Closer (Harvest Cove, book 4) by Kendra Leigh Castle

message 46: by Philippa (new)

Philippa (philyn) | 4 comments Now and Then ( Dare to Love, book 3) Mira Lynn Kelly: card 9

message 47: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 128 comments Quick question....are we doing mutilpe hands? I'm really confused now! :(

message 48: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Morin So we fill up the cards with what we think we can read in the month, then we let you know when we finished the book?

message 49: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments Hi everyone, how are you doing? :)

message 50: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 310 comments Catherine wrote: "Quick question....are we doing mutilpe hands? I'm really confused now! :("

Don't worry about being confused, it is a lot to look at :) Just think of it as a "game plan". Like this:
1. We have 13 hands per month
2. We have 7 cards in each hand
3. Each one of us knows the minimum number of books we can squeeze into the month from out TBR list
4. We log those books (where they fit) into our spreadsheet
5. Now we have a game plan :)
6. As the month goes on, we will reevaluate what we have accomplished and what still needs to be read to finish a hand
7. Try to have as many hands as possible complete by the end of the month (____/13)

Does that help?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15