Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Bob Hoskins RIP

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5282 comments The great British actor Bob Hoskins has died after a bout with pneumonia. He had retired in 2012 after being diagnosed with Parkinsons.

Always a treat to see onscreen, from the grimmest gangster drama (THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY) to the lightest comedy (WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT) Hoskins always always always delivered the goods. I feel that the world is smaller sadder place without him rattling around in it.

RIP, man. Flights of angels. He's gone, but he'll live forever.

I have to go lie down now.

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Saw that this morning, very sad. Love The Long Good Friday and Mona Lisa.

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10461 comments damn, i'm sorry to hear that.

i think i discovered hoskins through MONA LISA, which he just dominates and seems to carry the film effortlessly. a great actor, to be sure.

i just had a tooth pulled and was told that i need to take it easy today - so, no practicing and no rehearsal tonight. i'm going to watch THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY as soon as i can turn on the box.

peace, bob. thanks for all the beautiful films.

message 4: by George (new)

George | 951 comments always loved his work. impossible not to watch him in anything. thanks indeed for all the pleasure you provided.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5282 comments I have a special fondness for his small role, barely more than a cameo, in BRAZIL, as the malevolent air-conditioning repairman Mr. Spoor. A joy.

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10461 comments yes! forgot about that role. thanks for reminding.

message 7: by George (new)

George | 951 comments so had I, thanks from me as well.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie (brontesister) | 896 comments Such a wonderful actor, so multi-talented. MONA LISA is a favorite. A more recent one I loved him in was MADE IN DAGENHAM (with Sally Hawkins). He was also great in Atom Egoyan's FELICIA'S JOURNEY, so creepy. RIP.

message 9: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10461 comments forgot about MADE IN DAGENHAM, which i saw last year and enjoyed.

haven't seen FELICIA'S JOURNEY. i thought i was hip to all the atom egoyan films. thanks for mentioning it.