Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > March's Linda Howard Book of the Month-Diamond Bay

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Rachel Jones wasn't looking for trouble, much less a man, but in Kell Sabin she found both. On a hot summer's night Kell is washed up - barely alive - on a Florida beach and into Rachel's life. Her instincts tell her to help him, and their love blossoms as he recovers from his injuries. But by falling in love with Kell, Rachel has put her own life in danger from the forces that want him dead. Once fate has brought them together, can they learn to live apart?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Technically this books starts on March 1st, but actually you can start any time you want.

message 3: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I plan to start with Diamond Bay this weekend.
I have read this book before a couple of years ago but its good to read it again.

message 4: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments I've re-read it many times, but I always catch something new I missed before. It's one of my favorites!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am just finishing up another book. I will start as soon as I finish Allegiant

message 6: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments Yay! I hope to start today.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments Picked this up at the library so once a finish a couple of others...

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Have you ever read Diamond Bay, CD? If you haven't I think you will love it.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments It's not sounding familiar, but I have found that on some I don't remember until I start reading them. I'm looking forward to this one.

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1606 comments Diamond Bay was written during Linda's more romance less suspense period and I really like it.

message 11: by Eve (last edited Mar 05, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I just finished Diamond Bay and it was another good story by LH. Not her best work IMHO but still well-written, interesting, hot and sexy book.
Like Anita said, it concentrated more on the romance (or should I say sex?) but the suspense part was also well done.
As this book was pretty short, then I think that there was too little time for romance to develop. Kell was nearly dead when Rachel found him, yet, within a week Kell and Rachel were passionately having sex....well, hello, Superman ;)

message 12: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1606 comments Superman. Yeah, that about sums up Kell.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments What is so interesting to me about Diamond Bay as well as some others of LH is that I can accept the quickness of the relationship, where as I have read other authors that have just as quick a romance and it irritates me. I guess it is all in the way it is presented.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments This book is next for me.

message 15: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Dee wrote: "What is so interesting to me about Diamond Bay as well as some others of LH is that I can accept the quickness of the relationship, where as I have read other authors that have just as quick a roma..."
I also feel like this about LH books. Its amazing how she can develop emotional and passionate tales and make them believable.
I love how Linda Howard brings emotion and drama to her books, how she gives life to her characters, so that you can clearly feel their emotions. Its not something every author can do so masterfully.
I also love when LH brings humor to her books. Even Diamond Bay was no exception -- it was so funny when Jane arrived after Grant and she was toting some guns in her bag :D

message 16: by Marika (last edited Mar 06, 2016 10:02AM) (new)

Marika | 78 comments I think if I stumbled on a guy as handsome and charismatic as Kell Sabin, then I would grab him instantly and never let him go. ;) No wonder that Rachel fell for him so soon.
I really enjoy Linda Howard's writing style, her vivid descriptions and indeed it feels like her characters come live.
I discovered her work only recently and go through her backlist. Has she written anything not good???

message 17: by Janeiowa (last edited Mar 06, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments I don't think, so, Marika! :). I don't read sci fi/fantasy/time travel, so I can't speak to those. Of course, there are some books I love more than others, but then that's true for all my favorite authors!

I like that almost all of her women are strong...my exceptions might be Tessa in Cutting Edge, Jessica in All That Glitters, and the female in Sarah's Child. Those were all very early books by LH, and I wonder if they represent the time And maybe the publisher's influence.

message 18: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1606 comments Marika wrote: "I think if I stumbled on a guy as handsome and charismatic as Kell Sabin, then I would grab him instantly and never let him go. ;) No wonder that Rachel fell for him so soon.
I really enjoy Linda ..."

The really early romances can be pretty bad. We all have our worst LH book. Mine is Come Lie with Me.

message 19: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Sudduth | 85 comments Eve wrote: "Dee wrote: "What is so interesting to me about Diamond Bay as well as some others of LH is that I can accept the quickness of the relationship, where as I have read other authors that have just as ..."

I love about her books that the characters become so real they feel like they are your friends and it kind of sad when the book ends. Reuniting with good friends is what rereading a book is like to me.

message 20: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 660 comments Well said Jodi!

message 21: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Generally I like all books Linda Howard has written, although some of work is not so good as some of her other work, especially Ice, All That Glitters and some other books. But I think that even not-so-good LH book can be decent read (at least I have finished all LH books I've started!).
Like Janeiowa said LH's older books didn't have strong heroines but more like doormat-heroines/cruel heros and sometimes you had to wonder why the heroine is not standing for herself. But I guess that seemed to be norm in the 80s and I think that publishers were to be blamed for that trend as well!

Jodi, you said it so right - I also love to reread LH books and it does feel like reuniting with some good old friends.

message 22: by Eve (last edited Mar 07, 2016 11:43PM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I'm so happy that lots of books by Linda Howard has been published into Estonian language, including this book. Here's Estonian bookcover for DIAMOND BAY:

description

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Eve wrote: "I just finished Diamond Bay and it was another good story by LH. Not her best work IMHO but still well-written, interesting, hot and sexy book.
Like Anita said, it concentrated more on the romanc..."

I am a born pick-it-apart-person. I am always looking for the flaws in a story line and at first I think how can Rachael, even if she was a investagative reporter, automatically think Kell was an agent. Then I remembered her husband had be DEA, and I'm sure there was undercover work on his job so the whole thing clicked. As for falling in love with in a week. I can easily understand how Rachael could because she was caring for him and Kell might simply because she was really different from any other person. i LOVE THIS STORY!!

message 24: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments Anita wrote: "Superman. Yeah, that about sums up Kell."

LMBO!

message 25: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments Dee wrote: "What is so interesting to me about Diamond Bay as well as some others of LH is that I can accept the quickness of the relationship, where as I have read other authors that have just as quick a romance and it irritates me. I guess it is all in the way it is presented."

This is true for me, too. LH gets away with it.

message 26: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments Marika wrote: "I think if I stumbled on a guy as handsome and charismatic as Kell Sabin, then I would grab him instantly and never let him go. ;)"

**chuckles**

message 27: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments Janeiowa wrote: "Those were all very early books by LH, and I wonder if they represent the time And maybe the publisher's influence."

I'm betting publisher's.

message 28: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments Nancy wrote: "Well said Jodi!"

Ditto.

message 29: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments Lovely cover, Eve. Thanks for posting.

message 30: by ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ (last edited Mar 08, 2016 11:40PM) (new)

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Hoping to start it this weekend too!! It was released in audio (along with Midnight Rainbow) a few months ago unfortunately the narrator isn't very good and after listening to it for a half hour I returned it =(

I know you listen to a lot of audios Lisa Kay, did you check this one out? Maybe it was just me....

message 31: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments I listened to it on audio. I loved it. But then, I listened to it about 1.5 speed.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments How does the speed change whether you like it or not?

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I loved the book, but I really didn't like how Rafferty save the day. It seemed to fake.

message 34: by Eve (last edited Mar 09, 2016 10:36PM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Dee wrote: "I loved the book, but I really didn't like how Rafferty save the day. It seemed to fake."

Somehow it seemed indeed kinda tame how easily Rafferty saved the situation but I'm okay with it. Some tight situations can work out surprisingly easy in real life as well and good neighbours can save your day, literally.

Really glad that LH added epilogue to Diamond Bay, it was such a sweet ending to both books.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 138 comments Hi Ladies!

I finished my re-read and some of the same issues I had with the first read stuck out on the second read, but I'm going to blame at least part of it on the narrator. The audio definitely could've been better.

Kell came across a little too rough with Rachel. Here again, it was the narrator. Instead of the jealous alpha-male type, he bordered on azzhat a few times. When I read the book last year, I didn't interpret his character that way at all. Possessive, maybe, but not cruel. Yes, his words and actions came from his insecurities, but I also sensed his desperate need to protect the woman he loved. Part of that meant holding himself apart from her, which only added to the sexual tension they both experienced. The audio "voice" came across harsh, giving many scenes that "do what I say because I'm a controlling...um...jerk"...thing.

Did anyone else struggle with Kell's reactions? Especially when Rachel agreed to go out on a date with Ellis?

Lisa Kay...I had to speed up the playback, too. I don't know what it is about this narrator, but she drives me batty....zero to ninety at the flip of a virtual switch. By the end of the book, I thought Kell needed serious anger management counseling! I guess it just goes to show that a narrator can make or break the experience.

message 36: by Anita (last edited Mar 10, 2016 10:02AM) (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1606 comments Kell is a deep cover CIA type who almost got blown to kingdom come. He is, by nature, suspicious of anyone and everyone. In his line of work he is an azzhat. When he finds himself falling in love, it is not a comfortable feeling for him.

message 37: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1002 comments Dee wrote: "How does the speed change whether you like it or not?"

Hmmm... Maybe because I don't have to listen to her pauses as much?

While I didn't particularly love her interpretation of Kell all that much in this one, I did like her Jane (in the first book). Then again, I'm used to azzhat men's angry/bossy voices. LOL! Jane was almost always positive. Some people thought she sounded "ditsy" when read by this (same) narrator, but I didn't. This could have been due to the speed.

message 38: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Mar 10, 2016 11:41AM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 138 comments Anita...

Yes, I agree with you and came to the same conclusion during my first read. How did you feel about Kell's physical aggression with Rachel after Ellis left? I get that he's been through a lot physically lately, but a covert spy losing his temper doesn't last long. Obviously he trusts Rachel, but he's worried about Ellis hurting her. Then we have the segue into sex...which really bugged me. I thought Rachel should've grabbed the closest heavy object and WHAMO!

That's just me, though.

Maybe it's the whole 80's style romance thing popping up. I do think there is a lot going on inside Kell's head; denial, passion, control, fear for Rachel, fear of rejection, etc., etc. I still liked the book, I just struggled with that scene.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 138 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Dee wrote: "How does the speed change whether you like it or not?"

Hmmm... Maybe because I don't have to listen to her pauses as much?

While I didn't particularly love her interpretation of Kell..."

I definitely liked Jane's voice better at a faster speed! She sounded whiny at the slower pace. I'd love to see Kate Reading to these books! I'd love to see Kate Reading do ALL THE AUDIOBOOKS! or Daphne Porter. LOL! They're both so awesome!

message 40: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1606 comments Kell was also trying to figure out who wanted him dead and why on top of all the new feelings he had for Rachel. I so agree with you. I would have grabbed the nearest heavy object too. And yes, the relationship suffered from the 80's romance formula, too fast, too hot and too domineering.

message 41: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments I don't listen to audiobooks. I dislike having things read to me, and I think the Narrator can color your view of a character.

I thought Kell came on strong about Ellis because he knows him and knows he's part of the "mole" thing out to kill him (Kell). His first marriage didn't work and that wife was almost killed in an attempt on Kell's life, so he's super concerned about Rachel.

That's the kind of people these agents must be. Remember how Grant tied up Joe the Dog, not an easy task, and grabbed Rachel?

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 138 comments That's right! Grant was pretty hard core when he made his appearance, too.

message 43: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments That scene Grant grabbing Rachel was well written and had me wondering what's going to happen next: was she grabbed by the bad or good guys. It was very tense scene.
It was so funny how Grant could beat all those bad guys or tie up angry dog but he could not escape Jane :D

message 44: by Marika (new)

Marika | 78 comments I just love how azzhat, bossy men start to act like pussycats when they are around their women. Its so sweet.

And I like that Linda Howard didn't kill the dog!!!

message 45: by Janeiowa (last edited Mar 11, 2016 05:18AM) (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments Yes, the dog was so protective, intelligent, and really loving in his way of Rachel. In my own epilogue, Joe was still with Rachel and Kell and protecting their two toddlers.

Jane

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments I love when dogs/pets are woven well into the stories and have a hard time if the animal is hurt or killed off. (yeah - I have two dogs, love cats and get mushy over animals)

message 47: by Janeiowa (last edited Mar 11, 2016 07:31PM) (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments I love dogs, especially, and I, too, can't stand to read any novel in which animals or people are intentionally hurt, tortured, dealt with cruelly. When I'm reading and the hero or heroine goes out and buys or somehow gets an abused animal and takes care of it, I'm mushy, too.

message 48: by Eve (last edited Mar 11, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I'm mushy too, so I liked that The Dog was not killed off.
I enjoyed the part Joe The Dog played. He was independent and antisocial, yet, he was protective of Rachel in his own quiet and faithful way.

message 49: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4966 comments Remember how smart Joe was....he grasped what Rachel was struggling with to pull Kell up from the beach and Joe helped her pull him...even into the house which poor Joe detested and would not normally enter.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments Definitely an awesome dog and loved how LH developed him so well into the plot of the book.

« previous 1