Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1) Mr. Mercedes discussion

I'm liking the Bill Hodges series

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joseph I guess I'm the opposite of most commenters. I didn't think much of the three Stephen King books I read a few decades back. I decided to give Mr. Mercedes a try after reading a preview chapter.

I enjoyed it, and then read "Finders Keepers," the second in the series,, which set up the grand finale coming out later this year.

Steven I think they've been great, too. The third one should be fantastic.

JENNY @Joseph, I am curious; what three books did you ready of Stephen King that you did not find to your liking?

I've read a great many Stephen King books and have enjoyed almost all of them (The Dark Tower Series being my #1). The first book I ever read of his was Christine (I was 12 years old at the time and was terrified enough to have to close the book and calm myself down). I know a lot of readers don't see the magic in his books and I can't understand why. Mr. King has a way of describing his characters so that you can see them clearly and understand exactly what they are feeling.

Regarding the Bill Hodges series, I was disappointed. I find myself waiting desperately for his new books and I felt let down with Mr. Mercedes. I just didn't feel I knew the characters very well. I couldn't relate to them. I specifically hated the relationship Bill had with Janey.

I enjoyed Finders Keepers much more. I enjoyed reading about Bellamy's obsession with the "Runners" books and identifying with Peter's family struggles.

I am hoping the next book is just as good, or better than Finders Keepers and am looking forward to it.

Joseph Pet Sematary, Talisman, and (I can't find the third one on my shelves and cannot even recall is title)

message 5: by Meran (last edited Jun 01, 2016 07:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meran Joseph, those are the most vague of his books. I didn't like Talisman either, didn't get it at all. But if you read all the Dark Tower books, a lot of the nonsense in those books comes clear. Well, except Pet Sematary. That's a standalone...

I'd gotten where I liked ~nothing he was writing, then I had foot surgery, was stuck in bed for 4 months. It was a great time to read the DT books. I even re read those considered as part of the DT Universe (at that time there were over 30 I think) and then went on to read the others. DT explains "thinnies" and other weird events.

Oh, and I like all the Bill Hodges books.

Richard Meran wrote: "Joseph, those are the most vague of his books. I didn't like Talisman either, didn't get it at all. But if you read all the Dark Tower books, a lot of the nonsense in those books comes clear. Well,..."

Pet Semetary is not stand alone any more, Insomnia linked it into the dark tower books

Meran Ah. Figures

Joseph End of Watch was an excellent culmination of the Bill Hodges trilogy

James I was disappointed by Mr. Mercedes . There was no mystery about what would happen next. The characters just felt vanilla.

Finders Keepers is a much better book.