Gone Girl Gone Girl discussion

I was wow'd by Gone Girl

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joseph Despite its unsatisfactory ending, Gone Girl engaged me more than any other book the past two years.

Michael It was a fun read.

It would've been better if the twist hadn't been ruined for me before I even read it.

message 3: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer I saw the movie. Is it still worth reading the book?

Maciej Jennifer wrote: "I saw the movie. Is it still worth reading the book?"

Did you like the movie ?

message 5: by Joseph (last edited Mar 01, 2016 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joseph Jennifer
I have not seen the movie. Assuming the movie follows the book, you won't be shocked by each new development.

That's a big part of the book. Silly me thought everyone was telling the truth so innocent me was floored by the developments.

On the other hand, you might appreciate the book more, but on a different level,.

If this helps, I plan to read the book again in a year or two even knowing what happens.

message 6: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Maciej wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I saw the movie. Is it still worth reading the book?"

Did you like the movie ?"

It has quit the ending. But I hear the book does also. I've also heard that perhaps the movie & book endings are different. Does anyone know if there is truth to that?

It's a movie I don't think you can say "you like or not", but it enthralls you, makes you think....

Joseph Jennifer wrote:
It has quit the ending. But I hear the book does also. I've also heard that perhap..."

According to the Washington Post:

"Now that the movie is out — and a success at the box office with a $38 million opening weekend — and the mystery ending is finally revealed, it turns out … yeah, it’s pretty much exactly the same as the book."

message 8: by Reese (new)

Reese Frazier Maciej wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I saw the movie. Is it still worth reading the book?"

Jennifer, I saw the movie before reading the book, too. I liked the film so much, I ended up devouring the book in a span of two days. The book is pretty much like the film (unlike other film adaptations), only more detailed. You'll feel as if you are dissecting every thought that runs inside Amy's twisted mind. It's a refreshing break from my real estate job thus I can highly recommend this book.

Rebecca As with most books that are made into films, a lot of the details are missed out in the film. Both are very good though.

message 10: by Doug (new) - rated it 4 stars

Doug Oudin I had a bit of trouble getting into the book. Haven't seen the movie. I did enjoy the read, after struggling through the first half of the story.

message 11: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Reese wrote: "Maciej wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I saw the movie. Is it still worth reading the book?"

Jennifer, I saw the movie before reading the book, too. I liked the film so much, I..."

Thank You!

message 12: by J.S. (last edited Mar 16, 2016 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.S. Ellis One of the few books that I still think about it from time to time that's the impact it left on me. It's dark and disturbing but so good. the movie is awesome too.

message 13: by Sara (last edited Apr 14, 2016 12:23PM) (new) - added it

Sara I was floored as well. I really like that Gillian Flynn isn't afraid to say "Nope, not everything has happy ending." She is a fantastic writer.
It's very dark, but I liked her book Sharp Objects even more.

Mirkat I saw the movie almost immediately after finishing the book. I think if you've already seen the movie, you'll still enjoy the book. The twists won't be surprising, but there is more depth and detail in the book, so I think the impact is stronger, even if you know what's happening.

message 15: by Jae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jae This book hands down put me through a rollercoaster of emotions. I didn't know if I should feel sad, pissed off, shocked, sympathetic....all in one chapter!

I was surprised how much I liked the actress who played Amy Dunne. She was a good choice for that role.

Karen I remember reading all of the reviews on this book before I read it. I would wonder to myself how a book about a couple of narcissistic ego-maniacs could possibly be considered a "fun read." But it really was. I love this book. If you have a bit of time, this book is worth the read whether you have seen the movie or not. Seriously great book.

message 17: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Kingsley This book made a big impression on me because it was so unusual, although the treasure hunt seemed so contrived, I didn't much care for the ending, I didn't much like either of the principal characters (both conniving), and there were spots in the middle where it really dragged.
Having said all that negative stuff, it still has to be commended because it is so memorable and the twists were great.