Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Just for Fun > Birth of a Fan

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

hey guys, I was asked to post the following... last names left out...this IS the web after all...

Hi! My name is Jiafei Zhang. I am new. I was born on Feb 15, 2016 so I am VERY new!! My Uncle is named Spooky. He's funny. He's also a FAN. He's been telling me all about what a proud and wonderful thing it is to be a fan. He even told me a story about robots and space ships, but I fell asleep in the middle of it. It was a good story, but we babies have to sleep ALOT. Anyway, he says when I grow up I'm going to have a wall full of Hugo's and be more famous than The Good Doctor and RAH put together. I don't know what any of that means yet, but my Uncle Spooky says he's going to teach me everything there is to know about SF and being a good fan. So you guys save a place in fandom for me, I'll see you all when I'm 12!!!!

Jiafei

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Spooky1947 wrote: "hey guys, I was asked to post the following... last names left out...this IS the web after all...."

Congratulations to your extended family, Spooky. We'll try to hold off the robot rebellion a few more years.

Memo to self: Send a warning to young Jiafei about his uncle.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

:-D

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

just got back from a trip to visit the new fan and proud parents... the kid's AWESOME... she's going to be a real Slan!

message 5: by Classic SF Fan (new)

Classic SF Fan Shush,Spooky. I had forgotten to add some Van Vogt to my TBR,now I will have to. I read quite a few Null A books etc back in the 60s when I was about 15,but the time travel stuff made my head hurt! lol. Its all a blur now,but I intend to read some Van Vogt next year so that I can add them to my shelf. I dont add books unless I have at least a reasonable memory of the story.
I am so delighted that I located Open Library last year. I have added DOZENS of great old books to my TBR. My public library was extremely sparse on the SF front,so finding Open Library was a real benison for me.I think my dancecard is totally filled in for about the next 5 years

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

van Vogt makes EVERYONE s head hurts!!!!

lol

message 7: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Song (KieranSong) | 8 comments Haha, reminds me of when my kids were born (all 3 of them). I was reading them Shel Silverstein A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein while they were still in their hospital swaddles.

By the way, I think Shel is the master of childhood fantasy. As an adult (with a child's imagination) I still highly enjoy all his books and poems.

Congrats Spooky! Kids are awesome. Hope you have a lot of fun with your nephew!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Little Jiafei is busy...learned to crawl, cruseing on the coffee table, walking soon...she has 4 teeth now...i am busy building her a SF collection!!

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 11, 2017 06:39PM) (new)

Spooky1947 wrote: "Little Jiafei is busy...learned to crawl, cruseing on the coffee table, walking soon...she has 4 teeth now...i am busy building her a SF collection!!"

Welcome back, Spooky. Long time, no write. Good to hear from you again. I was beginning to think you were a legend fading into myth.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

8-(:-)