YA Kingdom Book Club discussion

The Rest of Us Just Live Here
This topic is about The Rest of Us Just Live Here
Books of the Month > February-The Rest of us Just Live Here

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S61 (last edited Feb 27, 2016 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

S61 (kingdombooks) Hi guys! This month we read The Rest of us Just Live Here to kick off our book club! I decided to start the discussion earlier than planned, because I kind of forgot that February is a short month. *sigh* Anyways, basically this is where you can discuss how you felt (in a spoilers fashion) about the book and compare your opinions with other people's opinions.

SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO WRITE:
First you should introduce yourself, tell us what you rated the book, and link your blog/tumblr/insta/YouTube review if you have one!

After that it is up to you what to post. Some questions that you could answer include these:

How did this compare to Patrick Ness's other books(if you've read any of them)?
Who was your favorite character?
We're your expectations met going into this?
What was your favorite moment?
What surprised you the most about/during this book?
Will you consider rereading the book?
Did you like the romantic relationships in this book?
Do you think Henna and Mikey should've ended up together?
Is this similar to any other book that you've read before?
How long did it take you to finish it?

Also, you could ask other people questions that you have:)

Have fun!

message 2: by S61 (new) - rated it 5 stars

S61 (kingdombooks) Hi I'm Sean and I moderate this group. I rated this book a 4.5/5. This is my review:

https://kingdombookblog.wordpress.com...

I loved this book! Even though I didn't think that the book was as creative as it was said to be, I still thoroughly enjoyed the book's storyline. The writing style was a high point for me and I will definitely be reading more Patrick Ness books in the future. My favorite scene was the scene at the amphitheater. Did anybody else love that scene as much as I did? Also, I was very glad that Henna and Mikey ended up as just friends (I think they are better as friends) but I did feel like Jared's relationship with Nathan was forced. I'm curious to see if anybody else agrees with me. This book took me around a week if I'm remembering correctly, and I would definitely recommend it to my friends and family:)

Amanda (mandyizzym) | 10 comments Hi I'm Amanda, I rated the book a 3/5 you can find my review here!

http://amandaminnockx.tumblr.com/post...

I don't really know how I feel about this book, I found it pretty strange but then really enjoyable at certain points. I was looking forward to reading it as I have heard so many good things about Patrick Ness but I don't know sometimes I just thought it lay flat. I like the way it touched on the different problems the were facing individually, it did make them feel more human like because of this, even though if some of it was pretty strange and I found very weird... still everyone's different and this book showed it. Would I recommend it to a friend? If they were talking about Patrick Ness or this kind of book I would but I don't think it would be something I would bring up to read.

I totally agree with you Sean on the whole Mikey & Henna staying friends, it was nice to finally read a book where people explore just like everyone does in real life and decide if it's right or not instead of it being "I can't live without you undying gush love" The Jared & Nathan thing seemed out of place I don't understand why you wouldn't tell your best friend that sort of thing, if two people are that close surely you would know your friend would be happy whatever you decided.

Merideth was my favourite, she had me in fits of giggles and she minded me of the relationship I had with my brother and sister when we were younger, we used to push each others buttons but were so protective of each other it was unreal. At the end of the book I was really getting into Jared being a god, the whole healing thing I was loving and then it finished :( just as I was really getting into it.

Natalia | 146 comments Hi, I'm Nat and I rated this book (★★★). I don't have a review posted anywhere as I generally dont do them due to the lack of time.

I went into this book having a lot of expectations. This comes after reading two of Patrick's other books. The Knife of Never Letting Go and More Than this which is one of my favourites.
I was dying to get my hands on this book ever since I heard Patrick was releasing another book. Although I did not enjoy the plot of this book, I am still a fan of Patrick's writing.
I did not end up liking the characters as much therefore I cannot say who is my favourite. My favourite part of the book was the concert chapters. I actually attended Patrick's talk before the book release at the Edinburgh book festival. I swear I could still vividly hear Patrick reading that scene. He had the whole audience hooked.
I think there was great potential to explore the idea of the Chosen Ones but it all felt rush and I was left confused more than once. I kept waiting for the climax of the story and if you asked me what it was now, I would not be able to tell you.
The book wasn't that memorable therefore most of the main points of the story are already out of my mind.
I rushed to finish this book so in the end it took me around 3 days.

message 5: by Kali (last edited Feb 27, 2016 06:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kali Cole | 42 comments Heylo people I'm Kiki and I rated this book a 4
- My favorite character was the new indie kid that just wanted to fit in with Mickey and his friends.
- My expectations were not met because I watched the Epic Reads Explains for this book and felt totally interested in this book, but while reading it I found myself not as excited.
- My favorite moment was when Henna and Mickey got into the car crash because of the deer that came out of now where. It was like the whole plot twist.
-What surprised me most was the relationship between Jared and the indie kid (Sry I forgot his name)
-I wouldn't re-read this book just because it didn't feel worthy to read again.
- The relationships seemed like epic fails especially between mickey and Henna.
-Totally completely think Henna and Mickey should have ended up together. I mean you get into a car crash and you don't end up together? Like what.
-It's not similar to any books I've read before. Or it might have but I can't remember.
-It took me two days to finish this book.

Natalia | 146 comments Kayra wrote: "Hello everyone I'm Kayra and I rated this book 4/5 stars.
While I did enjoy the characters and the author's writing style, I thought that the plot was a bit dull. I finished this book in four days...."

Have you read any other books written by Patrick?

message 7: by S61 (new) - rated it 5 stars

S61 (kingdombooks) Is anybody else anticipating the "A Monster Calls" movie? I was kind of surprised The Knife of Never Letting Go didn't become a movie first, because I feel like that is what he is known for.

Kristina (books-and-dragons) Hey, I'm Kristina and I rated this book 3.5/5★
I'm sorry I'm late but I procrastinated on reading this book for so long that I eventually forgot about it. I didn't think I would particularly enjoy this book and I was correct, it wasn't awful but it was often dull and whole thing with Immortals was kind of confusing. This is my first book by Patrick Ness so I can't compare it with his other works, but I did enjoy his writing style so I may give them a chance.
My favorite character was probably Jared, because he's kind and funny and lovable. I did not like his relationship with Nathan: it happened really quickly and we didn't see any development. I think I would've liked if we knew more about them. I'm glad Henna and Mikey ended up just being friends because we don't get to see that kind of relationships often in YA books. My favorite parts were those when Mikey talked about his OCD.
This book wasn't memorable and I won't reread it, bit I would recommend it if you want to read something easy to kill time.

Natalia | 146 comments I dont think the Knife of Never Letting Go would be very translatable to the screen. Think of the telepathic link between Teresa and Thomas in the Maze Runner. They had to drop this concept because there was no way for them to show this. The whole concept of the Chaos Walking series is based around hearing thoughts so therefore the movie just wont work out. I think the case is similar for Illuminae. The reason the book is so fantastic is because of the way its told, but there is no way for them to translate that to the screen, therefore it would just become like any other star crossed lovers in space book. More Than This has a greater chance of becoming a movie.

message 10: by S61 (new) - rated it 5 stars

S61 (kingdombooks) So, overall the opinions were pretty mixed between all of us. Generally we have this book a 3 or 4 stars, and we all seemed to enjoy it, but not love it. I hope that you all at least had a fun time with the first month of this club so far:) Next month my sister will be trying organize more of the Half Bad discussions:)

message 11: by Luzz (last edited Apr 01, 2016 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Luzz  | 2 comments Hi I'm Luz. Sorry I am posting this so late, but I just recently got it.

I didn't know what to expect from this book... I didn't want to read any opinion about it because it was my first time reading this author and I needed to be surprise.

So this is going to be completely honest...

It felt real.
The characters were absolutely common and with so much to tell. The existential traumas they live is exactly what we have to go through every day, and sometimes we don't even know it... Or we like to ignore it!

Living the story through Mikey's mine was incredibly interesting, considering how much this kid has to face in his day by day. I liked this character a lot!

And "the Indie kids" I want to get to know them better, they were such a mystery.

... I also sensed a kind of John Green writing style, maybe because of the realness of the personalities and the story, it felt familiar.

And... I don't know if this is something that Ness does very often but that magical "thing" at the end was really good.

So I guess "Sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in the ordinary", right?...

message 12: by S61 (new) - rated it 5 stars

S61 (kingdombooks) For school I had to write about an important event from a book in two different characters/objects point of views! I would love to get some feedback on it!

CARLY
It’s finally time. It feels like I’ve been waiting for a lifetime.
About a year ago Mommy was able to convince the members of my favorite band, Bolts of Fire, to sponsor a fundraiser for me. I knew Mommy was going to fight hard for them to come perform to us, because she would really do anything for her sick, little girl. She knows that my cancer is just getting worse and that it’s only a matter of time before I…well…kick the bucket.
The nurse puts on my oxygen mask, and my mother pushes me out onto the stage. Girls and boys from all over town are seated above me in the towering amphitheater seats, and I am mortified when they stare at me as if I am some monster. I know that the cancer had downright vicious effects on my physical appearance, but my mother says that how I look makes me unique. I don’t know what the big fuss is about, but I recover just in time to make sure I don’t look like a buffoon in front of all the other children.
My mother says something into the microphone, but I can’t hear her. My damaged hearing is hindered even more by the children, who are screaming like a pack of wild animals. Finally, she hands over the microphone and my raspy voice fills up the arena as I introduce the band.
My mother ushers me to the side of the stadium when I finish my speech, and we watch the cute singers run onto the stage. Time flies as the boys light up the stage, and I am just about to try to sing along, when I hear a thunder of an explosion ricochet around the sides of the arena. I cover my ears and curl up in a ball, recoiling at the piercing sound. The explosions stop, but the sound of rock and metal falling from around the amphitheater continues to make me dizzy. Before I know what is happening, my mother’s body surrounds me, completely blocking my sight of anything going on.
After a while the blasts turn into mild echoes, and my mother releases her rigid grip on me. I hesitantly look up, and gasp when I notice that she is struggling to keep her eyes open and she has blood oozing from a cut in her chin. I rush to her and let the waterfall of tears pour out.
My mother wakes up many hours later and when she does I give her the biggest hug I possibly can. I have no idea why the stadium blew up, but I know that I am lucky that my mother was there to protect me because I don’t know if I would’ve survived without her love and support.

THE STADIUM
I’m so focused on the excitement that is to come, that I don’t notice the mysterious figures that had creep into the arena right before the show begins. I’d been available for concerts, gigs, and other extravagant displays for forever, but the new theater across the street had been taking over my popularity. However, after many humdrum and devastatingly sullen years, I have been renovated to the point of perfection.
As the kids sit down on the chairs and bleachers in my arena, the kids start to converse and it is like music to my ears. I especially love learning all of the cool new words that the kids use these days, and add them to my interminable vocabulary list.
The concert commences after an emotional little speech from the little girl with cancer. The thrill of the upbeat music and fun atmosphere makes me feel even more magnificent than before. I notice the decorative posters that line my walls, and my inner smile grows to the size of the moon.
Suddenly an eerie feeling creeps up on me. My bubbly mood is deflated as I experience excruciating pain. I hear a crash and notice that the right side of me has completely collapsed. Ginormous chunks of rock and newly molded metal evoke a thunderous sound as they crash into the stadium below. The reverberation drowns out the trivial hum of the bombs, which I didn’t realize had gone off before.
Chaos ensues as the frantic kids run to the nearest exit. I watch as the youngest ones are swept into the arms of parents and chaperones that are sprinkled out around all of the chairs. On the left side of me, metal chunks crumple and crash down onto the chairs.
I notice the girl with cancer is huddled inside her mother’s arms, and I gather that the mother had not thought of carrying her towards one of the exits. I want to scream as loud as I can as I watch the mother crumble to the ground in defeat. Just as the mother releases her grip on the girl, the last of me falls to the ground. The last thing I see before I meet my broken flooring is the little girl as she opens her eyes and gazes at the disaster encompassing her….