What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children cross over into a different dimension after doing a ritual

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 7 comments Its a young adults book I believe. When the children return from the other dimension, I know they lose all memory of it. It starts off talking about children who go missing. Then I believe two(?) friends/siblings do the ritual together. This might be a spoiler, but i know at the end of the book, one of the main characters tries to leave himself a note about the second dimension so when he returns, he'll remember it. I believe that its the first book in a series. When I read it, I remember it being more of a creepy-ish type book.

message 2: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 7 comments Any comments/suggestions are welcome!

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34377 comments Mod
Thomas, you have to give it time. Only 15 people besides you have seen this. If you don't get any responses, bump every 30 days so new members will see your request - or sooner if you remember more details.

What year did you read this book?

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 202 comments If it's a very recent book, there are some similarities to The Riverman, by Aaron Starmer. It starts out with a bunch of kids going missing in this other world,, but the character who come back to the real world remembers it.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38155 comments Mod
The Riverman for Amanda's suggestion.

message 6: by Thomas (last edited Feb 29, 2016 09:03PM) (new)

Thomas | 7 comments Kris wrote: "Thomas, you have to give it time. Only 15 people besides you have seen this. If you don't get any responses, bump every 30 days so new members will see your request - or sooner if you remember more..."

I know it may take time, I just read in the tips bar thing and it said to make sure to post only when you think your information is helpful. I made the comment to let people know to just comment with the slightest idea, even if it may not be helpful.

I read this while I was in middle school, so around 5-6 years ago.

message 7: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 7 comments Amanda wrote: "If it's a very recent book, there are some similarities to The Riverman, by Aaron Starmer. It starts out with a bunch of kids going missing in this other world,, but the character who come back to ..."

I don't believe it is The Riverman, but thank you for your suggestion. It seems along the same plot line kinda of. I don't know if The Riverman is a creepier book, but the one I read, definitely left me creep'ed out. And if I remember correctly, it had a red cover? Then again, covers can change, so I don't know how helpful this information is.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Thomas wrote: "I made the comment to let people know to just comment with the slightest idea, even if it may not be helpful. ..."

No worries. People in this group will post with guesses, as well as questions that may help to narrow the search. Bumping before 30 days is okay if you remember more information about the book (or are responding to another member's post).

message 9: by Clemencedane (new)

Clemencedane | 14 comments Thomas wrote: "Its a young adults book I believe. When the children return from the other dimension, I know they lose all memory of it. It starts off talking about children who go missing. Then I believe two(?) f..."

I am nearly sure this is not it because this is much more complicated than yours, but just in case:

Northern Lights (known as The Golden Compass in North America and some other countries) is a young-adult fantasy novel by Philip Pullman, published by Scholastic UK in 1995. Set in a parallel universe, it features the journey of Lyra Belacqua to the Arctic in search of her missing friend, Roger Parslow, and her imprisoned uncle, Lord Asriel, who has been conducting experiments with a mysterious substance known as "Dust".

message 10: by Kris (new)

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman for Clemencedane's suggestion.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 202 comments The Riverman is one of the creepiest books I've ever read, but I think it's too new to be yours.

message 12: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 7 comments Clemencedane wrote: "Thomas wrote: "Its a young adults book I believe. When the children return from the other dimension, I know they lose all memory of it. It starts off talking about children who go missing. Then I b..."

No it does not appear to be, but thank you for the suggestion!

message 13: by Clemencedane (new)

Clemencedane | 14 comments Thomas wrote: "Clemencedane wrote: "Thomas wrote: "Its a young adults book I believe. When the children return from the other dimension, I know they lose all memory of it. It starts off talking about children who..."

No problem. The ones that came up immediately were Northern Lights, A Wrinkle in Time (too old) and Phineas and Ferb across the Second Dimension (too cartoony)! Obviously not those either.

Would you tell us roughly how long a book this was - was it a middle school level chapter book? How many pages roughly? Were there illustrations? Were there any other Scifi/Fantasy components, like other beings, another planet, etc?

message 14: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments What time period/location does the story take place?

message 15: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 7 comments Clemencedane wrote: "Thomas wrote: "Clemencedane wrote: "Thomas wrote: "Its a young adults book I believe. When the children return from the other dimension, I know they lose all memory of it. It starts off talking abo..."

I know as a middle schooler I read above my grade level. I don't remember how difficult it was too read, but I read it without much difficulty. And I don't remember how long it was, and there were no illustrations.

For the other components, there were no other planets, just the creepy dimension they went to through the ritual. There might have been some other type of beings in that dimension that scared them, but I don't remember what they were exactly.

message 16: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 7 comments Tab wrote: "What time period/location does the story take place?"

It takes place in modern time, in a suburb area I believe then they go into the other dimension and i can't remember how it was like, other than it gave me a creepy feeling.

Cara's Craftsations | 1698 comments Following this one!

message 18: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Windmaster's Bane Don't remember much about this other than it was a group of kids that went in to another world.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38155 comments Mod
Thomas, are you still looking for this or did you find it?