The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

VERIFICATION > Not Really a Comic Book/Graphic Novel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Dec 26, 2018 11:02AM) (new)

Sandy | 15678 comments Mod
If you want to use a book that is clearly not a comic book/graphic novel/sequential art, but has those main page genres, you may post here to get approval to use the book for tasks that otherwise would not allow them.

Here is the spreadsheet for books that are not really graphic novels.

This will primarily apply to books that are clearly all text, but have these genres because they are about these topics or because the author sometimes also writes in these genres. Examples are books like The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How it Changed America or The Secret History of Wonder Woman.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7539 comments Awesome!

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3645 comments Schulz and Peanuts A Biography by David Michaelis
A biography of Charles Schulz, creator of Peanuts. Yes, there are several of the strips used in the book, but most of the 672 pages are text biography.

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Schulz and Peanuts A Biography by David Michaelis
A biography of Charles Schulz, creator of Peanuts. Yes, there are several of the strips used in the book, but most of the 672 pages are text biogr..."

Yes - this is exactly the sort of book that we're aiming at, here. Genre override noted.

message 5: by Nick (last edited Mar 03, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2401 comments I read it for the last challenge, but then could not count it. Sigh.

League of Somebodies League of Somebodies by Samuel Sattin

It has maybe two illustrations in its 300+ pages.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Nick wrote: "I read it for the last challenge, but then could not count it. Sigh.

League of Somebodies League of Somebodies by Samuel Sattin

It has maybe two illustrations in its 300+ pages."

genre override noted

message 7: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Ha! I knew there was a thread for this!

Black Widow: Forever Red. It's text only YA novel.

Silly people. :/

Thanks in advance!

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Morgan wrote: "Ha! I knew there was a thread for this!

Black Widow: Forever Red. It's text only YA novel.

Silly people. :/

Thanks in advance!"

genre overridden - presumably it's marked this way because it's about a Marvel comic book character. But, from looking at it on amazon, it doesn't appear to be a comic book itself, so you're okay with it.

message 9: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Sandy wrote: "genre overridden - presumably it's marked this way because it's about a Marvel comic book character. But, from looking at it on amazon, it doesn't appear to be a comic book itself, so you're okay with it."

Yeah not a bit of pictures. (Also a lack of Black Widow tbh which was disappointing in a book named after her...) :P

Thanks again :)

message 10: by Emily S. (new)

Emily S. (esondie) | 0 comments May I have Calamity declared not a comic? It has superheroes, but not a single picture in it. Here's a preview from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Calamity-Recko...

message 11: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17482 comments Mod
Emily S. wrote: "May I have Calamity declared not a comic? It has superheroes, but not a single picture in it. Here's a preview from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Calamity-Recko......"

Sandy, Just FYI- the genre comes and goes
@ review
Fantasy 638 users
Young Adult 337 users
Science Fiction 250 users
Science Fiction > Dystopia 127 users
Fiction 115 users
Fantasy > Urban Fantasy 92 users
Comics > Superheroes 61 users
Apocalyptic > Post Apocalyptic 41 users
Adventure 29 users
Young Adult > Teen 29 users
See top shelves…

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Yep, not a comic. Genre overridden (if it's showing up when you post it).

message 13: by Emily S. (new)

Emily S. (esondie) | 0 comments Thanks!

message 14: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Request override for not a comic.

Love for the Cold-Blooded, or The Part-Time Evil Minion's Guide to Accidentally Dating a Superhero by Alex Gabriel

Confirmation on how this can be used...if approved, the book is not limited to 5/10/15 point tasks, correct? If not approved (or if approved) this may be used for 5/10/15 even with Comic MP Genre, correct?

Thanks in advance.

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Tara Jo wrote: "Request override for not a comic.

Love for the Cold-Blooded, or The Part-Time Evil Minion's Guide to Accidentally Dating a Superhero by Alex Gabriel

Confirmation on how this can be used...if..."

Yes, genre overridden, not a comic book. It can be used like any other book.

In the absence of an override, see the Rules of the Challenge for the use of books with the genre comics, graphic novels, etc.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 945 comments On the off-chance that I'll want to use it for a higher-point value task, could I have Marvel Comics: The Untold Story approved as a not-comic-book/graphic-novel? This is a text-only history of Marvel Comics as an entity/publisher (I actually wish it had pictures, because describing 50s-60s-70s superheroes would be much easier if Howe had got permission to add pictures).

(I looked for a spreadsheet link to check and see it was approved earlier, like we do for ebook length verification, but couldn't find it.)

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Melissa wrote: "On the off-chance that I'll want to use it for a higher-point value task, could I have Marvel Comics: The Untold Story approved as a not-comic-book/graphic-novel? This is a text-onl..."

This works - genre overridden.

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Melissa wrote: "On the off-chance that I'll want to use it for a higher-point value task, could I have Marvel Comics: The Untold Story approved as a not-comic-book/graphic-novel? This is a text-onl..."

I haven't actually set up a spreadsheet yet, since there are so few posts in the thread.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 945 comments Sandy wrote: "Melissa wrote: "On the off-chance that I'll want to use it for a higher-point value task, could I have Marvel Comics: The Untold Story approved as a not-comic-book/graphic-novel? Th..."

Ah, gotcha ;) Thanks Sandy!

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Could I get a genre override for Supergods by Grant Morrison? It's an overview of the history of the comics industry, with a shift to half-autobiography once he reaches the point where he enters the business.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Suzanne wrote: "Could I get a genre override for Supergods by Grant Morrison? It's an overview of the history of the comics industry, with a shift to half-autobiography once he reaches the point wh..."

genre overridden.

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Suzanne wrote: "Looking for a genre override for Investigating Lois Lane: The Turbulent History of the Daily Planet's Ace Reporter please"

genre overridden.

message 24: by Julia (last edited Jan 30, 2017 04:27PM) (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1641 comments Since The Secret History of Wonder Woman is in the thread description, does that mean it's already approved as genre overridden?

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Julia wrote: "Since The Secret History of Wonder Woman is in the thread description, does that mean it's already approved as genre overridden?"

yes

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1203 comments Sequential Art > Comics had just appeared as a main page genre on The Darling Buds Of May (it wasn't there when I started it).

In case it is still there when I post or it is moderated, could you approve it as not a comic? It is not a comic! I listened to the audio, so can't verify if a particular edition has illustrations or not, but it is a novel. Thanks.

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Sarah wrote: "Sequential Art > Comics had just appeared as a main page genre on The Darling Buds Of May (it wasn't there when I started it).

In case it is still there when I post or it is moderate..."

I don't see anything about this, or in the reviews, that evens suggests it's sequential art, comics, whatever. Genre overridden.

message 28: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments This has Sequencial Art > Graphic Novel as a Main Page Genre, but it really is mostly text with a few graphics (and yes, I plan to read for every possible path, otherwise this would not be fun ;-)

Romeo and/or Juliet: A Chooseable-Path Adventure

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Fandury wrote: "This has Sequencial Art > Graphic Novel as a Main Page Genre, but it really is mostly text with a few graphics (and yes, I plan to read for every possible path, otherwise this would not be fun ;-)
..."

from looking at the Amazon "look inside," this appears to be text, not a graphic novel at all. Genre overridden.

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 945 comments Hi Sandy, could I get The Caped Crusade: Batman and the Rise of Nerd Culture verified as not-really a graphic novel? thanks :)

message 31: by Dlmrose (new)

Melissa wrote: "Hi Sandy, could I get The Caped Crusade: Batman and the Rise of Nerd Culture verified as not-really a graphic novel? thanks :)"

This appears to be text. Genre overridden.

message 32: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Can I get Heroine Complex approved? It is about superheroes, but it's 100% text.

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Brooke wrote: "Can I get Heroine Complex approved? It is about superheroes, but it's 100% text."

Yep, it does appear to be text. Genre overridden.

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily | 650 comments Can I get The Refrigerator Monologues approved?

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Boston Kate wrote: "Can I get The Refrigerator Monologues approved?"

genre overridden - this appears to be text.

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily | 650 comments Sandy wrote: "Boston Kate wrote: "Can I get The Refrigerator Monologues approved?"

genre overridden - this appears to be text."

Thanks. :) I haven't read it yet, but a friend recommended it to me. From the description she gave me, it's all text.

message 37: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Tyson | 215 comments Hi can I get Turbulence overridden for MPG "Comic". It is a novel with not one picture in it even :) I assume because it is about Superheroes it was the closest MPG readers could tag.

message 38: by Sandy (new)

Nicola wrote: "Hi can I get Turbulence overridden for MPG "Comic". It is a novel with not one picture in it even :) I assume because it is about Superheroes it was the closest MPG readers could tag."

genre overridden - it's pretty clearly in words!

message 39: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 212 comments Hi there! Can I get Wonder Woman: Warbringer overridden for MPG "Comic"? It's a 369-page novel, not an illustration to be found anywhere. The way the publisher classified it even had the library confused.

message 40: by Sandy (new)

Alycia wrote: "Hi there! Can I get Wonder Woman: Warbringer overridden for MPG "Comic"? It's a 369-page novel, not an illustration to be found anywhere. The way the publisher classified it even ha..."

genre overridden.

I think some people classify it this way because it's based on a comic book heroine - however, that doesn't make it a comic book/graphic novel!

message 41: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Hi!

Could y'all override the Comics listings for this NF book:

Wonder Woman Unbound: The Curious History of the World's Most Famous Heroine

TIA

message 42: by Sandy (new)

Suzanne wrote: "Hi!

Could y'all override the Comics listings for this NF book:

Wonder Woman Unbound: The Curious History of the World's Most Famous Heroine

TIA"

genre overridden - not a comic book.

message 43: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Can I have the gender comics override on this one. The Supervillain and Me. It’s a novel not a comic. Thanks

message 44: by Sandy (new)

JennRenee wrote: "Can I have the gender comics override on this one. The Supervillain and Me. It’s a novel not a comic. Thanks"

genre overridden.

message 45: by Jukka (new)

Jukka Särkijärvi (nitessine) | 505 comments The Comics MPG keeps popping up on the Wild Cards series. They're prose short fiction anthologies, and while Wild Cards comics do exist, they're in separate series entries. Could the entire series just get a blanket override, or do I need to request them separately for all 26, starting with Wild Cards and Aces High that I figured I'd use for the current challenge?

message 46: by Sandy (new)

Jukka wrote: "The Comics MPG keeps popping up on the Wild Cards series. They're prose short fiction anthologies, and while Wild Cards comics do exist, they're in separate series entries. Could the entire series ..."

The whole series is fine, as long as the genres stick to the Comics>Superheroes. If any of them show up with graphic novels or sequential art as MPGs, they'll have to looked at individually.

message 47: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2449 comments Could you approve the following for "non-graphic novels", as they have comics > superheroes but are all novels. Thanks.

The Frame-Up, Meghan Scott Molin

And these three from Sarah Kuhn:

Heroine Complex
Heroine Worship
Heroine's Journey

Thanks.

message 48: by Sandy (new)

Trish wrote: "Could you approve the following for "non-graphic novels", as they have comics > superheroes but are all novels. Thanks.

And these three from Sara..."

Looking at them, it's clear that these are text novels, that just happen to be about superheroes.

All are approved as not comic books/graphic novels!

message 49: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2449 comments Sandy wrote: "Trish wrote: "Could you approve the following for "non-graphic novels", as they have comics > superheroes but are all novels. Thanks.

And these t..."

Thanks, Sandy!

message 50: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 303 comments Has there been a spreadsheet set up? If so, is there a link somewhere that I missed?

« previous 1 3