#readwomen discussion

Spoiler Alert! > Kindred

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (thebookmermaid) | 19 comments Mod
Here is the page for all spoiler-filled discussion of the book!

Hope you all enjoy it!!
xx Sophie

message 2: by Fatima (new)

Fatima | 3 comments I just got my copy from the library and I'm ready to start reading :p Not a spoiler but I'm excited

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Oh yay!! I hope you enjoy it!!

thebaronessofbooks | 3 comments So I'm halfway through Kindred, and I'm worried that Kevin's going to end up either becoming a racist or he'll die. He just seemed to accept that the slaves at the Weylin's place weren't as bad off as they would else where. I don't know if anyone else had that feeling too.I hope that's not what happens because I like Dana and Kevin together, but I could very easily see him changing due to the time he's in.

message 5: by Cath (last edited Mar 10, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Cath Lyders | 4 comments Finished - could not put it down! Man!
Such a re-awakening on a horrid history. I felt so scared for Dana especially in those first few times of "going back". She is from the 70s (of which I kept having to remind myself - kept thinking she should "google" about what was happening to her or the histories from that area when she was back in her "present"!) , and the 70s has plenty of prejudices of its own.... but the thought of a relatively modern day black woman going back to that era with no safe place to go/be, well I found that horrifying. It suddenly made all that awful history so much more real.
I thought Dana/Butler's comparison of nazi concentration camps to the treatment of slaves was especially powerful!

message 6: by Sophie (new)

I read this a few years back for high school but it's still stuck in my mind after all these years. I underlined in my book quotes that I thought particularly stuck out to me, here are two of them:

"I was the worst possible guardian for him -- a black to watch over him in a society that considered blacks subhuman, a woman in a society that considered women perennial children."

and

“Better to stay alive," I said. "At least while there's a chance to get free." I thought of the sleeping pills in my bag and wondered just how great a hypocrite I was. It was so easy to advise other people to live with their pain.”

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda F. | 2 comments I stayed up until midnight last night to finish! It was so horrifying but so unbelievably good. Like, I kept feeling as though "what if this really happened?" Although I think it's impossible.
A couple thoughts I had during the book:
I was terrified Kevin would get stuck when he came along (and he did).
Then I was afraid he may have cheated on her during the five years he was gone. I thought this because of the way he was asking about if Rufus ever raped her.
I was so upset that Alice died, but I completely understand her reasoning! Rufus was kind of an a$$hole.
And my final worry, that Rufus was going to rape Dana!

But like I said, it was so good. One of those that will stick with you for a long time.

message 8: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat-thecatlady) | 12 comments I finished this like 20 days ago and I'm still struggling to put my thoughts into words. this book really made an impact on me